DAKAR 2015

java

Expedition Leader
What a day today. Salar killing machines off right and left. Looked like a miserable day on a bike.

java

Expedition Leader
Hows this for a RTT? Found in Dakar pics
B6ypWEOIgAIjWlk.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Adventure bike guys know that when we are blazing 70 and 80 on dirt roads it is just fun, easy and seems like a normal pace once your in the zone and adrenalin is pumping. It's a fun fast level us 85 %er's get to. Dakar brings it a whole lot higher. I think I'm understanding why they need a navigator but help me understand the brain and what's going on in this extream race? This guy read it wrong but how do you read anything at over 100mph?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/watch-moment-dakar-rally-driver-4960348

java

Expedition Leader
Navigation plays a huge part in this race. They are not always on a road, and being able to read your roadbook (navigation notes) is very important. If your cruising down a road and it says turn right at km126.4, you had better turn right at 126.4 even if that means going off the road and straight across a dirt expanse. On this last stage the winner averaged 55.xx MPH, thats FAST over 175 miles.

Roadbook for a bike. Its electrically activated, there is a switch on the bars to roll it forward. You have to keep an eye on your odo vs the roadbook. No GPS is allowed in the Dakar, other than as a heading. No arrow to waypoint etc.

Dakar-2010-Road-Book-Befurious.com.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
2015 Dakar is complete. About 50% of the racers DNF, so just completing the course is a great achievement.

"Mini" racers (totally custom tube chassis, onto which a body that looks sorta like a Mini is squeezed) dominated the car category. A HiLux pickup made things interesting with a second place finish. Kamaz finished 1-2-3 in trucks, and KTM took 8 of 10 places in bikes. Noteworthy was a woman finishing 10th on a Honda.

Robby Gordon won the final day's stage. I think this is the first Dakar that Gordon finished.

psykokid

Explorer
Robby Gordon won the final day's stage. I think this is the first Dakar that Gordon finished.

Negative.. He's finished quite a few..

12th in 2005
8th in 2007
3rd in 2009
8th in 2010
14th in 2013

DNF in 06,11 & 14 and Disqualified in 2012

Willman

^ It was fun to follow RG this year. Hopefully next year will be his year....

Navigation plays a huge part in this race. They are not always on a road, and being able to read your roadbook (navigation notes) is very important. If your cruising down a road and it says turn right at km126.4, you had better turn right at 126.4 even if that means going off the road and straight across a dirt expanse. On this last stage the winner averaged 55.xx MPH, thats FAST over 175 miles.

Roadbook for a bike. Its electrically activated, there is a switch on the bars to roll it forward. You have to keep an eye on your odo vs the roadbook. No GPS is allowed in the Dakar, other than as a heading. No arrow to waypoint etc.

Dakar-2010-Road-Book-Befurious.com.jpg

Great Infor.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I could watch a 5 hour documentary on the Robby Gordon support truck

I Spoke with Robby at the Parker 425, and they had to put gear oil in the motor to run the last stage! The Gordini did well for a brand new vehicle and next year should be awesome. There are also rumors of 4 Gordini's getting built for the next Dakar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste