Damaged and missing parts: Rhinorack Batwing ordered from Etrailer...sad me

RacerAV

So, received my batwing today, finally! I've been anticipating getting this bad boy installed prior to my next trip out in the trailer! BUT today I get this...

The end was completely missing from the box. The box itself was damaged elsewhere also. BUT I take the box inside and open it up. It looks okay, the hinge end of the awning slid out of the box at one point it seems and grinded a corner on some concrete. That removing a good bit of aluminum and some paint. NOT the worst thing in the world. 'I can touch it up' I thought...

Then I realize... theres nothing else in the box. No brackets. No install kit. I checked out the awning, the pouch, nothing. It's gone for sure. Super bummed. I emailed Etrailer, fingers crossed it's just in a separate box or something? Has anyone else had an issue with their Batwing?

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 70

sunnybean

Observer
That sucks! Shouldn’t have accepted it. Mine arrived fine. If you need the brackets PM me and I’ll send you mine as I didn’t use them. I did use the screws though. You’d have to find those at the local hardware store.

Oh, not sure where it’s packaged in the box but they also include an extra plastics rod end for the hinge. Not sure if that’s in the stake bag or not. Look to see if that’s missing as well.

Good luck.

yeos

Observer
My batwing arrived in bad shape from etrailer as well, but I wasn't home to reject it. I left my review on their website explaining how bad the packaging was. I only lost a few washers luckily.

kdeleon

Observer
The rhinorack batwing box can definitely use a bit more padding. Mine ended up with a small dent. Yours seem to have suffered quite a bit more mishandling.

Dont forget to open it up after a rain. It collects water. Probably doesnt rain down under.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Batwing, also from ETrailer, arrived with the box beat up. The cover had a small tear at that end and the washer/nylon nut for the hinge bolt was not connected and floating around the box. Assuming the shipping companies will not improve I agree that a beefier box is called for. As for ETrailer, I received excellent service from them.

On another note, the awning snapped two of the Delrin hinges on its first desert deployment. No fault of the awning, a sudden 40+ mph gust before adequate staking caught everybody off guard. After getting help unwinding it off the top of my truck shell I packed it back in the bag. Rhino Rack includes two replacement hinge pieces so this is obviously nothing new. I’ll report back on the fix...when I finally get to it.

sunnybean

Observer
Just spent a week on the road and was hoping to post some photos of the Batwing in use. However, on the first deployment a 10-12mph gust grabbed it as I was securing the strap on the far side. Both bottom Delrin pins snapped in half. Happy the wife was with me to help unfold the damn thing from the roof without scratching the hell out of things.

To make matters worse, two days latter a rock came through the back window of the FJ. Sitting at a dealer right now getting that replaced. $595 for the rear window, plus labor. Ouch!!!

RacerAV

Just spent a week on the road and was hoping to post some photos of the Batwing in use. However, on the first deployment a 10-12mph gust grabbed it as I was securing the strap on the far side. Both bottom Delrin pins snapped in half. Happy the wife was with me to help unfold the damn thing from the roof without scratching the hell out of things.

To make matters worse, two days latter a rock came through the back window of the FJ. Sitting at a dealer right now getting that replaced. $595 for the rear window, plus labor. Ouch!!!
man what a string of bad luck! sorry to hear... batwings are supposed to come with a few replacement hinges right? at least you have that.

im STILL waiting to hear back from etrailer about my bag or parts! no hinges, no brackets, nada... plus the damage to the actual batwing backer itself, what a bummer... and obviously not an isolated incident. sucks all around.

roving1

Funny, mine arrived from e trailer with damage to the cover as well. I guess this is more than just isolated incidents with all these cases. Mine was damaged to the point it had holes ground through the cover in one spot. But I needed it for a 2 week trip the day after I got it so I was committed. Plus with the stupid bleeping open bag end design water gets into the awning anyways so the holes are ironically completely moot.

Love the awning otherwise though.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Call Rhino Rack and I'm sure they will send you the missing parts. The nylon gear bag that came with my rack torn immediately and they sent me a new one. No harm in trying.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Oh man, that sucks.

I ordered an 8' awning from a supplier in Vancouver. It came in the original OZtrail box, but Matt at Kakadu Camping wrapped both ends of the box with 2 additional layers of cardboard and packing tape. I guess this is not an uncommon thing? Hopefully e-Trailer helps you out on this!

Fingers crossed.

sonarman

Mine did not come from etrailer and was still damage. UPS driver jacked the awning out the front door instead of the rear. I was going to tell the ****************** driver to take it back, upon further inspection no damage was done. The ends of box need another box put over them. Mine did come with a couple of spare parts for when the wind breaks it. I spoke with Rhino Rack, nice guy tells you right up front the weak point is made to break. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad setup. Between poor packaging and crappy UPS drivers who don’t give a crap about your package, just lazy not to go the extra step for the customer.

Attachments

• E4736BB3-E2AA-4305-824A-3C257EF23D7D.jpeg
    E4736BB3-E2AA-4305-824A-3C257EF23D7D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 5FB86D60-F35A-4A57-9AAE-50A56B31A007.jpeg
    5FB86D60-F35A-4A57-9AAE-50A56B31A007.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

TripLeader

Explorer
I've ordered a couple hundred bucks or more worth if stuff from etrailer over the last few years. No complaints. I think their customer service will work with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles