Danner Mountain Light II - An on-going review

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
How have the soles lasted on yours? I bought a pair around 2008 and it's time to resole them. They're a great pair of boots. I never did buy insoles for mine, just the plastic support that came with them.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
How have the soles lasted on yours? I bought a pair around 2008 and it's time to resole them. They're a great pair of boots. I never did buy insoles for mine, just the plastic support that came with them.

The outsoles have held up great, I have only had mine for 8 months, although used quite a bit. I only use these for hiking so they spend most of their time on dirt which is a lot easier on them than pavement/concrete.

I liked the plastic heel cups, but I think in then end i ordered mine a half size large and is why I went with an insole, it just filled up the space inside a little better with my foot in them.

Do you have any pictures of yours? I love the look they get when they are well used.

matt marquardt

Adventurer
Glad to see you and your boots still getting along!

25k is quite the walk with the same planned for the next day? Tells me a lot about the boots.

Oh, and I like the pics of the boots. I know it is a boot review but something about worn in leather on individuals' boots telling a story only they know. Character.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you and your boots still getting along!

25k is quite the walk with the same planned for the next day? Tells me a lot about the boots.

Oh, and I like the pics of the boots. I know it is a boot review but something about worn in leather on individuals' boots telling a story only they know. Character.

Couldn't agree more!

Oh and the 25 km hikes were about a week apart. That's a lot of walking for two days

mortonm

Expedition Leader
First Snowy hike of the season, was really happy to have the goretex today. Wet snow and slush for over two hours and not a drop of water on my socks

A lot of coyote and deer tracks out there

Perfect weather for wool. Home made wool toque (mom) and half a Woolrich Pennsylvania tuxedo.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Another nice Hike today, didn't really need the gaiters as it wasn't as muddy as I was expecting but it kept my pants clean.

The Great Thinker

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I went on a few hikes the past couple of weeks including a -20oC walk last weekend. Normally I wear liner socks and mid weight wool socks but I got a new pair of wigwam -40oC wool socks at Christmas. Nice full cushion and my feet were toasty since I was on the move. At that temperature no matter what socks you wear you're feet will be cold if your stationary for an extended period

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Did some boot maintenance tonight for my leather stuff. I use obenaufs for the Danners and Axe/knife sheaths. The Redwing boots I use their boot oil.

Good to go for some more miles!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Pulled the trigger the other day....Amazon had a great price in my size. Now for the break in...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426531566.718517.jpg

Erik J

Thanks for the great ongoing review- so helpful! I just bought a pair myself and took my first walk in them- only a couple miles through the woods. I know I'll need to break them in, but I'm
a tad concerned about the inside of the tongue and how it is bunching up and creating kind of a pressure point on my foot.

Based on what you know, is that likely to soften up and become less irritating? Again, I've only walked a couple miles, but when I take off the boot and look at the tongue, it's all wrinkled on the inside, particularly the leather part near the top of the tongue.

Thanks!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the great ongoing review- so helpful! I just bought a pair myself and took my first walk in them- only a couple miles through the woods. I know I'll need to break them in, but I'm
a tad concerned about the inside of the tongue and how it is bunching up and creating kind of a pressure point on my foot.

Based on what you know, is that likely to soften up and become less irritating? Again, I've only walked a couple miles, but when I take off the boot and look at the tongue, it's all wrinkled on the inside, particularly the leather part near the top of the tongue.

Thanks!

All of the leather will soften up and mold to your feet as they break in.

The tongue is no exception, the first few months you wear them make sure the tongue is straight at the top and folded over neatly at the bottom.

That "pressure" on the top of the foot went away for me.

They are supremely comfortable for me now, no issues anywhere with hotspots or rubbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier