Das Runner build thread

hitek79

Explorer
Busy year last year, so I never got around to getting a build thread posted. Thanks to all the people that answered my uninformed questions last year. Not a final product yet, but it's getting close. Lots of trips planned this year.

I got caught up in the overlanding world a few years back, and have jumped in fully. I'm an amateur landscape photographer, so I use these rigs to get out to remote areas to snap a few pictures when I can. I started with a Das Bus a few years ago, and while I love it, it does have it's limits based on size. Das Bus was happy to welcome his little brother, Das Runner to the family last summer. I came across a 2003 4runner that was a one owner rig, 116k miles, and the owner was a Toyota mechanic. Needless to say, the truck is perfect. Only issue at all was the fact that it had been damaged in a hail storm, so the owner collected his check, and decided to sell. I picked it up cheap, and it's been a great platform to start from. Previous owner did the 3" OME lift, wheels, tires, exhaust, and K&N intake.

Das Bus and Das Runner definitely complement each other.

I live in the Central mountains of Colorado, so my daughter and I took it out immediately the first weekend to check it out. Handled everything no prob.

First thing on the to do list was a legit roof rack. After plenty of researching here, I went with the Prinsu Design rack. Really happy with it so far.

Also mounted up lots of lights. Rigid 30 incher, and some wide angle spots.

I also ordered a Pelfreybuilt bumper out of the gate as well, but the delivery time on that was running about 11 weeks, so I had to be patient waiting for that. I spent a good amount of fall cruising around Colorado snapping some great pics though. Das Runner got me everywhere I needed to go.

Bumper finally arrived, and it was as awesome as I had hoped. I also added rock bars you can see in the 3rd pic.

I added a small light bar in there as well, but apparently haven't snapped a pic of it.

Next up, I just picked up a roof top tent. I went with a relative newcomer to the industry, Denver Outfitters, as the price was right, and they are a somewhat local company to me. Hopefully it's a good product.

I had to move the lights forward so that the liftgate fully opens without hitting the tent. One thing I really love with the Prinsu rack is the fact that I can just unbolt the two cross members it's resting on and lift the tent right off the rig. I will mount a lift on the ceiling in my garage to hoist it up.

So that's the build so far. I have a set of cargo boxes in the garage that I'll get set up in the back this weekend, and I will move my ARB fridge and water tanks back and forth between the two rigs depending on what I need for each trip. I'll continue updating as I add more to it. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Crux

Did you get the gas struts or the hand crank for your OverRoam RTT?
How much does it weigh?
Any experience camping with it yet?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles