Dash rattle

T-roy

So my dash rattle started right after my warrantee ended. I have an 04 DC tacoma 4wd.

I don't want to take it into the dealership and pay an arm and leg for them to rip apart my dash. I've heard of a zip tie method and a 1" foam method, but no real instructions on how to do it.

Clutch

<---Pass
For the rattle just shove some 1/2" or 1" round foam chaulk backing between the dash lip vent and the windsheild.

I got mine from ACE in the window/ screen department.

5 bucks.

or buy a louder stereo...

erin

Explorer
I'll have to try that..........mine started to do that on a trip, got pissed and jammed a rag right in the center. Still there today, no rattle, but my glove box rattles also, some kind of side-side play, not as noisy though.

Willman

Kermit said:
For the rattle just shove some 1/2" or 1" round foam chaulk backing between the dash lip vent and the windsheild.

I got mine from ACE in the window/ screen department.

5 bucks.

or buy a louder stereo...

:xxrotflma

My Mechanic buddy just told me their is a service bulletin out on the dash. Toyota has come out with a new style clips....i think i will try the foam before i go ripping my dash apart!

:costumed-smiley-007

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Warantee or not, the dealer should cover that under the SSB. My friend (who was a Toyota Dealership mechanic at the time) told me as long as YOU tell them it rattles, the fix is free. Tell them it sounds like the rattle is behind the airbag on the passenger side.

The duct to the passenger side dash vent is warped. They replace it and foam up the inside of the dash.

erin

Explorer
Yeah, I told them about the ssb, but they said I would still have to pay for it, being over the standard warranty. I even tried to just get them to give me the kit, but they wouldn't. I'm sure a call to coroprate might change things, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort and time.

Willman

erin said:
Yeah, I told them about the ssb, but they said I would still have to pay for it, being over the standard warranty. I even tried to just get them to give me the kit, but they wouldn't. I'm sure a call to coroprate might change things, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort and time.

Lets all give coroprate a call and give them a piece of our minds!!! The more people who call.....the closer to a recall!!

:pROFSheriffHL:

:ylsmoke:

T-roy

BogusBlake said:
Warantee or not, the dealer should cover that under the SSB. My friend (who was a Toyota Dealership mechanic at the time) told me as long as YOU tell them it rattles, the fix is free. Tell them it sounds like the rattle is behind the airbag on the passenger side.

The duct to the passenger side dash vent is warped. They replace it and foam up the inside of the dash.

Yeah, mine is actually coming from the passenger side behing the airbag. What is the SSB?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I went to Home Depot and bought some felt that is used under furnature legs and stuck two pieces together, this made it thicker and I wedged it between the window and A pilars. Worked like a charm.

Just blame the washboards!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Oh what a feeling!

While I am sorry you have an annoying rattle problem - I am delighted that it is so rare for Toyotas to have a problem that this is actually an issue! Remember - I just came from my fourth Rover to my first Toyota.

Looks like I have a buyer for hte Rover - more news on thursday. Day three with the Tacoma is just about to begin!

:luxhello:

T-roy

BogusBlake said:
Special Service Bulletin

I'm definately getting noise from the passenger side airbag area. It only makes noise in the afternoon when it gets warm. Every Toyota document I've read states that this issue is only covered under the 36k comprehensive warranty. My 04 is at 41k. Does the SSB apply after 36K? If not I'll attack the noise myself. So far this is my only Tacoma problem so I guess it could be worse. Thanks for all the info!

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Super Doody said:
I just started noticing my few weeks back when the weather got hotter

:Mechanic: :mad: My is more of squeak

Just to document the probelm more, I also have this "squeak" behind the airbag in my 04 Extended Cab. It is loud and annoying. I don't have time to go to the dealer, so I will probably try some of the home-fixes listed here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior