Day One...not that this is going to go fast, or anything

Howard70

Adventurer
...After our recent trip to Oregon, visiting ATW, Earthcruiser and Host, we're going to opt for the Earthcruiser FX setup. Sometime later this year I'll drive the truck up as a bare chassis, and then hopefully by early next year we'll have an FX on the road.

Hello Czechsix:

Sorry we missed you in Bend! I didn't see your text messages for a couple of days ("smarter-than-me" phone...). Glad to hear that you're joining the EC family. We'll have to wander about the next time Heidi and I reach southern California.

Howard

Raker

Observer
Yep, I figured as much. I'll be taking it up the interstate nice and easy...still a long drive though. Maybe I'll strap a disposable water tank over the rear, fill it, and drain it once I get there. That'd add a decent amount of weight.

Not sure how much water you plan to carry? Just remember that liquid moves forward and backwards, also side to side, called surge. If the tank doesn't have baffles it will add a new dimension to your trip. You probably have this covered but I would hate to know that something happened and I didn't speak up.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Not sure how much water you plan to carry? Just remember that liquid moves forward and backwards, also side to side, called surge. If the tank doesn't have baffles it will add a new dimension to your trip. You probably have this covered but I would hate to know that something happened and I didn't speak up.

Nope, I appreciate that. I'll be using either the palletized tanks that hold about 200 gallons, or possibly a flat stainless 150 gal potable water tank....but I'd have to load that into a trailer and bring it back. Too valuable to just dump. The pallet tank is disposable, and as long as it's topped off, no need for baffles. It'd be a slow land trip in any case. Once the flatbed is off, I'll whip up a rack from 2x6 or something, and bolt/strap the pallet right over the rear axle.

Czechsix

Hello Czechsix:

Sorry we missed you in Bend! I didn't see your text messages for a couple of days ("smarter-than-me" phone...). Glad to hear that you're joining the EC family. We'll have to wander about the next time Heidi and I reach southern California.

Howard

Yep, likewise...all sorts of scheduling issues that trip LOL. We had a heckuva time coordinating with folks.

Sounds good, the wandering, or if we get out to your neck of the woods we'll give you a holler.

Czechsix

Quick update: Well, the day to deliver the chassis to EC is almost upon us. I'll be driving up to Oregon this Sunday, stopping by EC to coordinate, then off to Northwest Advanced Welding in Bend to remove the flatbed. That's going to be turned into a custom twin axle walking beam dump trailer, probably using stock FG wheels and tires.

Build will be the FX, diff gearing will be changed to lower ratio, LS front is going in too. Should be a very nice truck once it's done!

Possibly a mid/end of May delivery, but we'll see. No real hurry for us but unfortunately we'll be missing OvEx West this year...at least in the EC. I'll be going there in the pickup truck, towing a trailer with a Haflinger in it.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Congrat, it will be a great setup. Nice an FX with LS and Lower greats!
Keep us updated (aka: lots of photos) and I do expect your avatar to be changing soon :sombrero:

Czechsix

Oh yeah, will do updates for sure. Once we're out there actively exploring and getting into trouble I might just start another thread.

Avatar? Yeah, that's a gonna change. Reminds me I need to get the Cummins Suburban advertised and on the market too....yet another thing to do, yay.

Czechsix

Latest update:

didn't get it regeared lower, but at least the LS is in the front.

I'll have to see how it behaves on the trails, but it's working well for roadways.

20160816_110533-XL.jpg

20160816_110555-XL.jpg

20160816_110720-XL.jpg

20160816_110704-XL.jpg

20160816_110712-XL.jpg

20160816_110612-XL.jpg

20160816_110653-XL.jpg

20160816_110625-XL.jpg

20160816_110641-XL.jpg

Czechsix

Thanks

Those ladders also work well to protect that leading edge gelcoat from branch hits. I still have to install the rubber toggles to hold the two boxes on the top rack, should have that done later this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste