Day One...not that this is going to go fast, or anything

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yah, I like the RC too..plenty of room for expansion. I think they're basically a garage outfit right now, but they said that the 2nd version will be coming out later this year, with more functionality. The app is pretty basic too, right now, but that's OK also. The spod is definitely higher end stuff!

Czechsix

Front bumper lighting...BD and Rigid

Finally got the last Rigid flood lights into the bumper. Had to fab a couple of delrin spacers, but it should work out fine.

The light bar is a Baja Designs unit, one of their combo setups. Inset round lights are Rigid Floods, and angled off the sides of the bumper are Baja Designs cornering lights. I wanted to have options for both higher speeds, and low speed "finding camp" lights. This should be a good balance, and I'll set up the switches so the lights are independently controlled. I'll have to see what the draw is on the wireless controller - to keep it awake, but I think it should be fine. It'll give me the option to be able to turn on the lights from a distance without the vehicle running.

front bumper lights installed resize.jpg

Roof rack test fit will be early June, Aluminess said. They've got pretty long lead times now, compared to earlier. Doing lots more work - good for them!

Czechsix

One more step...getting the roof rack set up.

Took a bit of fitting...ok, about three hours of fitting. Still has some extra bars to go across the front, a curved bar across the front to support the LED light bar, and ladders for both sides, and as protection.

Well....this is strange. Can't upload. I'll shoot them over to smugmug and link.

there....that's better....
20150610_145016-L.jpg

Last edited:

Czechsix

Bit more progress....Roof Rack is now done

Today was the install day for the semi-custom rack. It's based off of the Earthcruiser rack, but has a basket, an additional ladder on the passenger side, and a full diamond plate top (tropical roof style), plus an option for the additional Baja Designs Arc light bar (that apparently is no longer being made - they got a cease and desist letter from Rigid, apparently Rigid has the Arc pattern patented). I guess I can call that a very limited edition now.

Rack1a-L.jpg

Rack1-L.jpg

rackinstalled-L.jpg

I've made a contact also, one of the guys at Aluminess is probably going to buy the flatbed, toolbox, diesel tank and pump all in one shot. I'll give him a very good price, and they've got the forklifts to be able to remove the bed easily...which saves me a ton of running around and/or storing a thousand pounds of steel. Good deal all around, I'm thinking.

After our recent trip to Oregon, visiting ATW, Earthcruiser and Host, we're going to opt for the Earthcruiser FX setup. Sometime later this year I'll drive the truck up as a bare chassis, and then hopefully by early next year we'll have an FX on the road.

Having Aluminess be more or less local was a huge score, trying to get custom bumpers and racks done would have been a huge pain for everyone involved. I've got to hand it to the guys at Aluminess...good job thanks to Kenny, Justin, Tom and the rest of the shop, the fab turned out very nice.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Looking good! But what, no zombie proof mesh across the windshield with high pressure waterjets to wash the 'junk' off? Your slipping, or perhaps you are adding that in the secret Fusocave?
What is the total weight with the decking? I'm guess not to bad since it is all Al goodness

"Baja Designs Arc light bar (that apparently is no longer being made...)"
They still seem to be for sale at their website.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=426003
At least you can add them to 'your cart'. I sure as heck am not hitting order to test it out, or the kids will have to forgo their medicene for a couple years

Last edited:

Czechsix

Looking good! But what, no zombie proof mesh across the windshield with high pressure waterjets to wash the 'junk' off? Your slipping, or perhaps you are adding that in the secret Fusocave?
What is the total weight with the decking? I'm guess not to bad since it is all Al goodness

"Baja Designs Arc light bar (that apparently is no longer being made...)"
They still seem to be for sale at their website.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=426003
At least you can add them to 'your cart'. I sure as heck am not hitting order to test it out, or the kids will have to forgo their medicene for a couple years

Oh, the mesh is coming...the mesh is coming. (which reminds me I wanted to start a thread on it)... I opted against the HP water, instead going for the gelled fuel option. The water will come after, relatively low pressure. Gotta plan it right, ya know?

Total weight of that rack I'd estimate is 40# or so...seriously lightweight. I was shocked when I hefted it. The light bar probably added 20#, easily. Not much change, if at all, to the CG.

Apparently the C&D letter just came out...anyone that wants a B&D arc lightbar better hop to it. I still think that the B&D products have a better light output than Rigid does...but both are very nice. Shoot me a PM if you'd like, I'm walking distance from Baja Designs....they've usually got some interesting stuff there. Matter of fact they just came out with a four element round lamp that Aluminess had just gotten as a test piece.

Hay....you coming down to Calico Mogfest? Gonna go slumming with us deadbeats?

skijunkie

Nice rack! :)

Is that side ladder more or less an accessory? It looks like it is not permanently attached. If so I'm gonna be looking to see if I want to add one to my EC rack. I'm also eventually going to talk to Aluminess about a rack extension that protects the front edge of the top of the FX camper body.

You will really like the FX. It is great.

Czechsix

Nice rack! :)

Is that side ladder more or less an accessory? It looks like it is not permanently attached. If so I'm gonna be looking to see if I want to add one to my EC rack. I'm also eventually going to talk to Aluminess about a rack extension that protects the front edge of the top of the FX camper body.

You will really like the FX. It is great.

Yep, the ladders are accessories. I ran one on each side....so that they protect the front edge of the camper :D...great minds think alike, or something like that. I don't see why they couldn't do a simple bar extension though, but I opted for full ladders. Both to be able to access the rack from either side, and also to act as guards and "feeler wands" when I'm getting too close to something I shouldn't be getting close to. Trees, rocks, canyon walls...etc.

Probably the last two things are going to be a windshield rock guard, and a couple of flexible rods off the A pillar guards to protect those expensive plastic turn signal housings.

Czechsix

Yep, I figured as much. I'll be taking it up the interstate nice and easy...still a long drive though. Maybe I'll strap a disposable water tank over the rear, fill it, and drain it once I get there. That'd add a decent amount of weight.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
A water tank is a good option.

The problem is that without weight over the rear axle the back will step out very easily. So, if you need to brake or swerve in an emergency situation there is a real possibility that the back will pass the front.
Just ask John, as he has had personal experience with this happening. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA