Day trip to explore Summit City

hairy_apple

Adventurer
The first time I went to Meadow lake, I found it by mistake. I was 16 driving through the woods with my friends in my FJ40. We were just camping, and wheeling and having a good time. By the time we reached Meadow Lake, we were on fumes. We split the 5 gallons of fuel I brought for myself between the 3 of us and crossed our fingers we'd all make it to Truckee.

Every other time I've been there, it's always on the way out from driving all day. I've never had the time to just look around and explore the area. I've always known there was a sizable town there, and a lot of mines, but I've never had the chance to actually go explore them.

We finally set out on a trip this summer to do just that. The whole reason for going would just be to see what cool stuff we could find from the mines and town site.

Took about 3 hours from Grass Valley, through Truckee and up 89, finally hit the turn off and drove in another 40 minutes or so on dirt roads. Most of which were nice gravel roads. I've had driven my car down to the lake actually...

_DSC1222_zps17ed76bc.jpg

Once we got down to the lake, we were ready for lunch. So we just hung out a bit and enjoyed being in the mountains and ate lunch at the lake before getting moving. Wow the lake was low!

_DSC1232_zpsc7d232a0.jpg

Starting down the trail, we quickly found tailings and a lot of evidence of mines. The more we looked, the more we found. There were hundreds if not thousands of holes in the ground just outside the lake. We found some cool rocks, and lots of little chunks of quartz. I can't imagine the amount of work it took to extract gold up here. We could feel the elevation.. we were huffing and puffing just hiking around.. I can't imagine hammering rocks all day up there.

_DSC1233_zps61bf8a41.jpg

_DSC1253_zpsc6c587b1.jpg

_DSC1256_zps53465bb0.jpg

_DSC1256_zps329a226d.jpg

We continued down the trail only to find more and more piles of broken rocks. The areas were the mines are was very clear, the sharp red tailings were a stark contrast to the rounded white granite, smoothed by millions of years of weather. We kept pulling over to see if there was anything more exciting then the last pile of broken rocks. Sadly, most of the mines have long collapsed or been filled in. They were just depressions with tailings around them.

_DSC1263_zpsddd268f7.jpg

_DSC1260_zpsaa3283bf.jpg

_DSC1266_zpsd9ee11c7.jpg

We also kept finding a lot of old pipes laying around.
_DSC1286_zpsb4844d8a.jpg

_DSC1287_zps4b89983d.jpg

We then found this large mine. It was marked on the map actually, as Excelsior mine... which was the original name of the town.

_DSC1292_zps2eba06d0.jpg

_DSC1309_zpsbf4b44b9.jpg

Dynamite blast? Sure looks that way.
_DSC1314_zps33f9006d.jpg

My dog seems to be smarter then us... she was standing at the top wimpering at us the whole time. What are you guys thinking? Why would you go INTO a hole in the ground.
_DSC1323_zpsb634fd45.jpg

At this point we actually turned back and took a loop back around to Meadow lake. This is the top of Fordyce and we didn't have time to go down and go wheeling, we wanted to see what else we could find.

We were not disappointed. We found the coolest stuff a few minutes later.

A lot of wooden remains. There was a ton of old timber and bolts. Some larger iron stuff mixed in that was broken. We guessed that maybe it was a stamp mill or headstock for the large mine we found near by. The tailings here were a lot more crushed making me think it was a stamp mill. We also found a ton of old cans.. although I kind of doubt they were 1880s... they were old and a TON of them. We also found the only mine that wasn't totally collapsed. It was close, and it was totally flooded, but if it wasn't flooded and you were dumb enough, you could have crawled into it. It was actually a little creepy.

_DSC1385_zpsde3209cd.jpg

_DSC1389_zpsb7dd1254.jpg

_DSC1366_zps666b06e0.jpg

_DSC1418_zps694043a1.jpg

_DSC1432_zps847cde74.jpg

We hiked up to the top of the hill and just sat around for a while and enjoyed the awesome day. My dog scared the out of me because the otherwise smart dog thought it would be a good idea to walk out onto a log over hanging a pretty far drop. You can't really see it in the picture, but it would have killed her if she fell. I have no idea what got into her.. but she just walked out onto it and out to the end of it and stood there like she owned the forest and that was her throne.

_DSC1463_zps1b07032c.jpg

On our way back out, we found the remains of another homestead. It made me sad to see it had collapsed, the last time I had found it, it was still mostly up. That was 6 years ago.. and it's old and snow is heavy, but it still made me sad to see it down.

_DSC1500_zps27588e98.jpg

At that point we made our way back out to Meadow Lake and it was getting late, so we headed home. Driving home over Donner Summit at 9PM in an FJ40 is always pretty amazing too. You really feel so much more connected to the world with no top and no doors. Looking up and seeing stars driving is incredible.

In retrospect, I wish we had planned to camp that night. It was Labor Day weekend and I figured that Meadow Lake would be packed since it's the end point for Fordyce, but it wasn't too bad and there were a ton of places to camp away from people still. Oh well.. we'll have to go back soon. Being in the mountains, at higher elevation like that just puts me at peace. I totally forget about everything that's been stressing me out and just makes me happy. I can't explain it other then that, it just makes me happy.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Meadow lake in it's day was a good size town. I've read as many as 500 buildings and 4-5000 people lived there. There was even a boat of some kind that cruised around on the lake. The problem is that the mine never really produced, and at 7300 in the Sierra Nevada mountains is a horrible place for a town. When it went bust like so many towns up here did, only the founder of the town stayed and became a hermit. After it was abandon, most of the town burned down.. which explains why with 500 buildings at one point, there is so little today. I did find a couple of pictures of the town in it's heyday. It's interesting to me that the hill that you can see in the foreground covered in Skunkweed still looks exactly the same today.

Photo244591o_zps9a2647cc.jpg

scp_1066_zps4def5e83.jpg

saloni

It is really great trip.All the images are attractive and just amazing.I like all the images a lot.Keep on sharing such wonderful images and keep on sharing your great experience.

zelatore

Explorer
Nice. I've been up that way several times but I've never stopped to explore around the old mines. I may need to make a trip out of that before the snows fall. It would make for an easy run one weekend.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Thanks. It was a good day. Easy day trip from Sacramento area. We did the whole day in 2x4. Clearance is needed for sure.. and 4x4 would be NICE.. but we got out to unlock the hubs at the end of the day and realized that one was left unlocked. We never had the front axle helping. Really, what might be a lot of fun if you don't have a 4x4 would be to park at the lake and hike down the trail as well. There is NO reason you can't get a car to Meadow lake coming in from Truckee. It would be a long hike, but not insane by any means.

zelatore

Explorer
Meadow lake is pretty much just an easy gravel road. I was up there (unintentionally) during the Sierra Trek and kept running into big RVs w/trailers. When the Winnebago makes it, you can rest assured it's not class 5 wheeling....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior