Death Valley 3/25-3/26

Justin

Observer
I completed my first trek through Death Valley this past weekend and I must say that it was quite memorable. We looped through Death Valley from Wildrose Canyon up to the ghost town of Skidoo, down to Stovepipe Wells, up to Scotty's Castle and from there a pit stop at the Ubehebe Crater. After venturing inside the ancient volcano crater we hoofed it back up and made our way down the Racetrack Valley to see the infamous "moving rocks." The road down to the Racetrack was very scenic, but very much covered in thick washboard (for close to 27 miles). The payoff however was worth it - once at the Racetrack, I couldn't tell what I was more impressed with: The Grandstand or the moving rocks? The area is filled with so much geology, mystery, and beauty that it is possible to be on a kind of sensory overload, which I definitely was.

We spent the night near Teakettle Jct. and left early Sunday morning towards Hidden Valley and Hunter Mt. The Hidden Valley road offered many forks in both directions most of which lead to old mine sites. Also, many of the roads leading to these mines offered some challenge and some opportunities to use L4...that was fun. Through the Valley we started our ascent towards the Hunter Mtn. pass. There we were greeted with a thin layer of snow and some small water crossings. Through the Mtn. pass we descended back down into the desert landscape which connected us to hwy 190. From there we enjoyed the views of the Sierras including Mt. Whitney until we finally merged with the 395 where we then began our drive back to the rat race...I mean civilization.

It was a great trip and I can't wait to return. I'll post up some trip photos real soon.
Justin

Justin

Observer
whoops, this shouldn't have gone in the expedition thread... I meant to put it in the completed adventure thread. Sorry.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sounds great Justin!........

Now just where are the pics>?!!

Don't make us send the 4x4 exploration Pic Police after you!:gunt:

.............:D

articulate

Expedition Leader
Justin said:
whoops, this shouldn't have gone in the expedition thread... I meant to put it in the completed adventure thread. Sorry.
Tow-may-toe.....tow-mah-toe
Expedition....adventure

If you don't have to resort to cannibalism, it's an "only" an adventure. :Wow1:

Just kidding.

Nice trip, however you want to box it up! Death Valley is a cool place.

Justin

Observer
Finally got hold of a few more pictures.

Attachments

• DValley1.jpg
    DValley1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DVallley2.jpg
    DVallley2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 60

Justin

Observer
Arriving at the Racetrack

Attachments

• DValley5.jpg