Deep Cycle Batteries - Super Start Marine (Oreilly's) vs Duralast (Autozone)

Joronimo

Hi all, I am looking at replacing a battery and adding a second on a pop-up trailer I have. I want to stay in the group size 24 since that is what fits the box I have. I'm looking for any advice/experience with either of the two batteries listed above. I know there are "better" batteries out there but these two are cheap and fit the bill right now. Trailer doesn't get a whole lot of use so expensive batteries are not ideal. I will also be adding a solar maintainer so hopefully these will last longer.

Here are the specs:
Super Start Marine - $87 (Part # 24DCMJ )
550 CCA
140 Min Reserve Cap.
80 Amp Hour

Duralast - $85 (Part # 24MD-DL )
800 CCA
115 Min Reserve Cap
85 Amp Hour

Any experience with these two or similar priced alternatives would be good. Both are approximately the same price (<$90). They both appear to be deep cycles not dual purpose marine batteries. But let me know if they are not, I'm ok with dual purpose but want to know it before purchasing.

Thanks

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I went with two 6v deep cycles from Batteries plus, they fit in the standard location on my 30' TT. They're about 100/each and give me I believe 200 ah combined.

hemifoot

Observer
through my expierience,i'd skip the starting batteries and go with an agm rv/marine .those wet cell cranking batteries are a waste of money.especially the ""cheap"ones. the plates are too thin and the agm require zero maintenance and don't leak or off gas.my original wet cells lasted 2 years.i've gone through 5 wet cells in my camper and boat over a 5 year period and those were over $200 apiece.the original battery that came with my camper lasted 1 year. the constant vibrations killed them i believe.i eventually dropped the money on 4 group 31 deep cycle/agm's and a group 27 quicksilver for the boat starter and have never looked back.well worth the extra money.if you have to have the inexpensive ones,look at the weight of the battery.the heavier the battery is,it will more than likely have thicker plates at least and will hold up a little better.amp hours don't mean much if they can't take a full charge,and the cheaper ones won't take and hold a full charge after constant deep cycles.

MOguy

Explorer
I would go with the best warranty and best reserve. I have gotten batteries (not a deep cycle) from each of those stores. I get the one with the best warranty and then biggest CCA and reserve. The batteries I have bought from either place last about 5-7 years. I would think for you needs CCA wouldn't be an issue but reserve and warranty would be.

Reactions: WVI

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have a couple of the O'Reilly's. The DCM stands for "Deep Cycle Marine". The J at the end means made by Johnson Controls in Mexico. DCM without the J is made in U.S. by Enersys. They usually stock the DCMJ in stores, but you can order the DCM at the store and pickup a few days later. They charge a bit more for the American made.

I thrash batteries. I bought a set of 31DCMs and being abused they didn't last any longer than any other battery I've destroyed. Right now I have a newish set of 24DCMJ + 31DCMJ in the RV I'm restoring.

They work fine and being flooded with removable caps are easy to maintain. Which is key, with proper maintenance and light use, they will outlast the warranty. So warranty might not carry as much weight as price for some people.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And from the OP, the Duralast with 800 CCA is more likely to be a "dual purpose marine" as opposed to the 550 CCA which is more likely to be deep cycle (less CCA but more RC).

hemifoot

Observer
i'm not trying to start a battery war,but 800 cca is not a "dual purpose marine battery".400 cca maybe. virtually any automotive battery can be called a dual purpose.it's a misnomer.interstate is famous for it.i should know.it was an interstate in my camper that lasted 1 year.a true deep cycle is not meant to supply a large blast of cranking power,it's not designed that way.

Joronimo

Thanks for all the insights. Since both appear to be pretty similar in warranty, and based on @dwh's response I will probably lean towards the Oreilly's (mainly cause of gift cards). If they don't last too long, I can upgrade later. I need at least one for an upcoming trip so just trying to get the best option for now, not forever.

@dwh, what maintenance is required? Topping off with distilled water?

Thanks for all the help.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Which is why I said...

more likely to be

It's true that for the most part, deep cycle batteries don't publish CA numbers and stick to AH rating instead, and cranking batteries don't generally publish AH numbers but stick mostly to CA and RC.

But all batteries can be rated either way, and some manufacturers do publish the numbers not normally seen.

For instance, Lifeline publishes CA and RC numbers as well as AH for their deep cycle batteries...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Proper maintenance on flooded lead-acid...

Check the water frequently. Weekly is best.

Keep it fully charged whenever possible. Sulphation happens all the time. It happens faster the further below 100% the battery is.

EQ once in a while. For weekender camper use, once or twice a year at the bare minimum. Monthly is better.

Basically, get a good multi-stage charger with a button you can push to initiate an EQ cycle. Don't auto EQ because you don't want it to happen until you've fully charged the battery and checked the water.

Start here...

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Johnson makes quite a few 'name brand' batteries. Something most folks don't realize / aren't aware of.
Another suggested thing to consider is the dealer networks of the battery you pick, particularly if your pursuits are geographically far-ranging (speaking of North America, not the ExPo branding of driving to the ends of the Earth).
I deliberately chose two same batteries for my vehicle and 'house' / aux setup with the premise that I could swap them if my starter battery fails on an outing. And I went with Interstate batteries (via Costco) for the ease of getting them replaced if something goes wrong.
Yeah, I didn't go deep cycle / marine, but I don't put a deep draw on my batteries when I'm out and about in the southwest. And I've got rooftop solar now to help as well. I'll see how the next couple years go...

john61ct

Adventurer
Neither of those are true deep cycle batts.

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. Deka labeled same batts also sold at Lowes.

Other good FLA include Trojan, Crown, US Battery, Superior and Rolls Surrette top of the heap.

Can last well over a decade if coddled.

If you really need sealed, then go AGM from Odyssey or Lifeline, but much higher cost $ / Ah / year.

hemifoot

Observer
i have the deka deep cycle group 31 agm's in my camper/boat.i don't know what they go for in the us,but up here i paid just shy of 2k for 4. those things are freakin heavy.i avoided 6v just in case i have a battery fail,and then i'm stuck without power.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you really need sealed, then go AGM from Odyssey or Lifeline, but much higher cost $ / Ah / year.
Meh, I wouldn't spend real money on Odysseys again. Talk about a battery that needs to be coddled. Next time I buy batteries I'm following the general advice to spend the least amount and plan to replace often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94