Deep Water Fording w/Trailers?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
What precautiuons do you guys take when taking your expedition trailers through deep water crossings?

What type of maintenance should one do afterwards? Hubs/lubrication?

Can electric brakes get harmed while submerged?

Should the operator disconnect the electrical system from the tow rig before entering?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
The King Kamper seems to like water crossing.

SplashDown2_000.jpg

The electric brakes are designed to get wet. I would just PM the hub bearings more frequently if deep water exposure was frequent. The electrics should be fine as long as the primary batteries are protected from the water. Mine would be fine for short crossing but I wouldn't want to stay submerged for a long period of time. Water may get into my battery box through the air vent. That could be temporarily sealed if you planned on playing U-Boat commander.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Here are a couple of shots of a Chaser in the Lake District, England.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Most anti-traildust measures will also be anti-water intrusion.

On the batteries thing, if the box is vented on the bottom, but otherwise sealed then water shouldn't be an issue.
Electric brakes get wet in the rain. On a lessor trailer I'd be concerned about corrosion in the wiring connections, so after 50,000 miles or so you might want to have a look at this just in case. ;)

I'm in a quandary over the "Bearing Buddies". The TrailBlazer has them. Seems like a great idea, but they also seem more vulnerable to getting knocked off than a normal cap would be.
Under no circumstances can I ever see using a "marine wheel bearing grease". There are too many better greases available. To my thinking a quality grease would be overly protective from moisture/water anyway, why use something possibly inferior & marked up for the marine industry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier