Denali Hwy solo 5/27-5/31.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I started out from my home in Girdwood on the Seward Hwy heading north to Anchorage and not quickly enough getting on the Glenn Hwy. This drive winds through the State of Alaska Moose Refuge with views of the Matanuska River. I stopped at some old cabins one that is just about to fall off the bluff into the river. Note the sod roof and moss chinking, must have been drafty in the winter!
P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Passing the Matanuska Glacier and heading up to Eureka Lodge for a 25 cent cup of coffee, Swiss burger and one of the best pieces of coconut cream pie North of Hope. It was nice to have some good home cooking before heading into the bush for the next few days. The next cabin I was told a few years back that it was a ski hill with a rope tow at one time.
P1010013.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I made it to Glennallen topped off the tank at the Hub service station and jumped onto the Richardson Hwy heading north to Paxson. At Paxson Lake the northern end was ice free but the southern half was still quite frozen. The Arctic Grayling were making the water boil in the twilight, as the water fowl dabbled around the surface. I counted half a dozen Tundra Swans, two Common Loons, at least two dozen Canada Geese and a number of unidentified ducks.
P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Getting to Paxson was a relief after sitting in the rig for at least 5 hours. I stretched my legs at the Junction of the Richardson and Denali Hwys. I looked down the empty highway knowing that I have wanted to do this drive for years and not really knowing what to expect along the way.
P1010021.jpg

matt s

Explorer
I looked at that old cabin too! Keep the photos coming, I am interested to see another perspective on the trip. I ran it just a few days ahead of you.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
The pavement ended quickly and the long ribbon of dirt road extended for the next 110 miles west to Cantwell. I made it to the Tangle Lakes Archeological District and spent some time exploring the side trails that get back to the lakes. The BLM Campground was full with Memorial Day travelers but the dispersed backcountry camps were easy to come by.
P1010027.jpg

One such trail was a three mile track that leads down to the Maclaren River. It had some rocks, snow, water and mud. I turned around when the ground became too soft and the mud deep.
P1010030.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P5290053.jpg

P5290057.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I looked at that old cabin too! Keep the photos coming, I am interested to see another perspective on the trip. I ran it just a few days ahead of you.

Matt
Your trip report last year got me exploring outside of the Kenai Peninsula. I'll try to make it to the Meet and Greet at the Transportation Museum.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
The short nights at camp were filled with the clucking and cooing of ptarmigans.
P5290049.jpg

Here are some beams in the tundra that must have been used in the original road as a bridge. You don’t see tree this big up here.
P5290060.jpg

The Porcupines were out in force.
P1010028.jpg

P1010035.jpg

Midnight Sunset.
P1010037.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Caribou
P5290070.jpg

Lookout for RVers with lap dogs doing the posted 50mph on gravel washboard. Everyone was OK even the Schipperke!
P5290077.jpg

P5290075.jpg

Time to toss the dry fly for some Arctic Grayling.
P5290079.jpg

P5290087.jpg

P5290089.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Ended up at Trapper Creek for some Bluegrass.
P5290099.jpg

Children’s Playground.
P5290097.jpg

The stage:
P5290101.jpg

All and all it was a great trip and I sure will be up this way again. Back to the soggy rainforest of Girdwood.

matt s

Explorer
Matt
Your trip report last year got me exploring outside of the Kenai Peninsula. I'll try to make it to the Meet and Greet at the Transportation Museum.

Very cool. I will be there on Saturday I think. Don't want to highjack at all but here is my report from this year. Looks like we poked around many of the same trails. The Mclaren Summit trail was snowy and muddy, I only ran it a little ways, but the river road was worse with some really deep stuff. We rutted in some spots about a foot deep. It was weird to have rock give way and turn to soup as the goo underneath gave way.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Very cool. I will be there on Saturday I think. Don't want to highjack at all but here is my report from this year. Looks like we poked around many of the same trails. The Mclaren Summit trail was snowy and muddy, I only ran it a little ways, but the river road was worse with some really deep stuff. We rutted in some spots about a foot deep. It was weird to have rock give way and turn to soup as the goo underneath gave way.

I know what you mean about the ruts. I was up to my hubs on the Maclaren summit trail and I had to get a tug from a jeep that was passing by. FYI Road Loto ends June 30th.

kai38

Explorer
Thanks for the write up on Denali Hwy. I'm heading to Alaska next May & had not seen anything about this road. Last week in Sedona I met a couple from the Ukraine that had just returned from driving to Alaska. He highly recommended the Denali HWY. I have already plotted it out on the GPS.
Thanks for the pictures also. Can't wait to go.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
If you drive it in May you may (pun intended) be one of the first few autos for the summer season. You should see more of the Nelchina Caribou herd if driven earlier than I did. :elkgrin:

matt s

Explorer
If you drive it in May you may (pun intended) be one of the first few autos for the summer season. You should see more of the Nelchina Caribou herd if driven earlier than I did. :elkgrin:

He is correct. Traditional opening of the highway is May 15. I was on the road 6 days after that and while the main highway was dry and just fine, the trails were sloppy. We did see quite a few caribou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles