Desert Trip VI: Another Mojave Rd, Death Valley and some Utah Canyonlands

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Enjoyed your trip description. Looks like you had a good time, at least most of the time. Just a suggestion, those thermometers work better in a rectal application (at least so it is said, I haven't had to test the hypothesis, myself).

Also surprized that you enjoyed Mojave road over Death Valley. My perceptions were the exact oppisite, but I had some different variables. Regardless, I am glad that you were able to get out this way. If your ears were burning, it was probably my grumbling about my missing out on the run. See you at the Expo?
Mikey

Ah, I enjoyed both….I would just rather return to the Mojave Desert before returning to Death Valley. Yes siree, I plan to be at OX13 next month providing my pregnant wife doesn't pop up with anymore complications. She is due in mid-July but I don't think she will make it that far.

Well, I spent the last two days cleaning up the old pig. $14 spent at the car wash, camper laundry done, clay bar'd, buffed and waxed. Even all of the Joshua Tree scratches came off to my surprise. It looks like it never even left the house for 2,435 mile trip to the desert. Now time to change the oil, rip the rear axle apart to inspect for any damage from the overheat, lick a few other wounds then packed it up for the OX13 trip next month :)

8628561837_b62041cafd_c.jpg

8628565743_9df7838727_c.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Very cool trip report! Really makes me want to hit up the desert sometime. Your old Chev' is pretty ************!!

mkitchen

Explorer
Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, so no comment on the alternative thermometer application eh?

To be honest with ya, I would not be comfortable being around my mother-in-law with a sharp instrument. It's plain to see that you have a good realtionship there.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, so no comment on the alternative thermometer application eh?

To be honest with ya, I would not be comfortable being around my mother-in-law with a sharp instrument. It's plain to see that you have a good realtionship there.
Mikey

Hehe, I just didn't know what to say, but that is my favorite thermometer so it only goes in the A/C duct of the truck and my mouth when I am sick. No back door stuff….:ylsmoke:

Yeah, I am pretty lucky to have this MIL. She is fun to be around.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
What a great read...how did I miss this report till now?
Oh I know, it was shame from not being a part of this trip :)
Looks like I missed a really great adventure and I am sure I will hear even more about it in May at the Overland Expo. This will teach me to have my rig torn down and busy kids in high school when there is a Larry trip in the works :)

Thanks for the great pics and story, the duck and snake really make it fun. And thanks for being just a regular guy out having fun vs all the promo travel media trips.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
What a great read...how did I miss this report till now?
Oh I know, it was shame from not being a part of this trip :)
Looks like I missed a really great adventure and I am sure I will hear even more about it in May at the Overland Expo. This will teach me to have my rig torn down and busy kids in high school when there is a Larry trip in the works :)

Thanks for the great pics and story, the duck and snake really make it fun. And thanks for being just a regular guy out having fun vs all the promo travel media trips.

Too bad you couldn't join us Lance. Next year!

mkitchen

Explorer
Ideas/Suggestions?

Hey Larry
Any suggestions on doing an old iron run in the four corners area? I have been up there but not enough to develop an enjoyable, multi-day cruise. Be thinking about it between now and Expo time eh? We just need to make sure that Lance has his Chevy up and running.
Mikey

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey Larry
Any suggestions on doing an old iron run in the four corners area? I have been up there but not enough to develop an enjoyable, multi-day cruise. Be thinking about it between now and Expo time eh? We just need to make sure that Lance has his Chevy up and running.
Mikey

I am pretty well tied up between now and Expo. In fact, our trip to Expo will be a quick ride down to Flag then right back after it is over. The rest of my summer I’m tied up with the pregnant wife and baby due in June/July.

That said, I am not really sure of any good places for an old iron run in the 4 corners area. There is a lot in the Utah side of the 4 corners (Hole in the Rock, tons of stuff in Canyonlands, etc) as well as Toroweep and others in Northern AZ. Not sure what, if anything, is in NM. We should plan something for that area someday though. After Expo, I will be out of pocket until next summer while we get acclimated to our new little roommate :)

mkitchen

Explorer
Oops

Sorry, the wrong idea was presented. I am thinking about a run in the four corners area, but not before the Expo. I was just hoping between now and then, you might think of some interesting areas that would work for a run. I also understand that you are going to be busy being a Pa here pretty soon. That is going to be a very definate change in lifestyle, but trust an old timer, it's worth it. One little suggestion though; go straight to grand kids. They are a lot more fun.
Mikey

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:Larry that is just such a cool trip! I love the sound of your V8 cruising along those roads- Pure pleasure- Thanks for posting up----:)

WillRunner

Overlander
Great trip report Larry! This is one of the best I've read! Too bad you got sick but glad it didn't last long! I look forward to going to Death Valley later on this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz