Destination Unknown - a 1997 F350 build

Chorky

Observer
Well I found another issue the other day when packing. The HPOP is leaking out the back. Its a new adrenaline pump, so that's irritating. It's not a install issue, rather its a manufacturers defect. Leaking out the back side right where the snap ring is. I found puddles of oil in the valley from last weekends test run and first thought it could have been leftovers, so after cleaning really really good and driving for only a few miles, I saw the leak pop up again. Its frustrating that this is happening since I am now fully loaded and leaving tomorrow for a 500 mile trip to my summer job. Fortunately I found a shop with a decent reputation out where I'm going, and have been in touch with adrenline about the issue. My only hope now is that the leak is not bad enough to cause issues on the drive over, or that I can just hold out for most the summer and fix it when I return home late fall. Otherwise I'll be sleeping at the shop until its fixed. It seems like it is just a little more than seepage as its not enough to allow the valley to fill up to the point of dripping on the driveway (over a 4 day period of hard testing); however, I'm unsure of how the leak rate may change when on highway, fully loaded, and towing - usually stress = greater leak rates. So we shall see. I'll have to find some extra oil somewheres since I run Amsoil, and don't want to mix oil types. The other irritating thing is although the cost of the part will be covered since they have a 2 year warranty, the cost to replace the part likely will not be. I'm going to fight this for sure, especially since I am away from home and cannot control (within reason) the need for this shop to do the work. As far as I'm concerned, adrenaline should cover the full cost...but we shall see.

pump leak.jpg

Chorky

Observer
On a positive note though, I got a decent load plan for packing the truck (pics to come later maybe). It's 'temporary' since the plan is for a service bed next year, but it will work pretty well for this summer at least. Almost everything is in there, some things are hidden away, and most stuff is in boxes. I also plan to cut out some cardboard and paint it black so that thieves can't see through the rear glass.

And..... My friend finally got his small skidder up and running. It's alive!!!
skidder.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
Has the bushing moved in the spring eye, or is the shackle that so wide that the bushing is walking on the bolt? As far as the dig tracking- doesn't matter if the from axel is perfectly centered or not- the rear axel is a few inches narrower than the front. Arrowcraft sells a spacer for the rear hubs that makes the track width the same as the from. It's a one piece steel unit. Super strong! I've got them on my flat bed truck. I used to always have people tell me the truck tracked crooked. It was only when they were behind me or coming around me to pass. It created the illusion of dog tracking. Soon as I put the spacers on I've not heard anyone say it. And it looks tons better. I want a set for the Diesel- I just haven't taken the time. As far as your springs- that doesn't look right....but I wouldn't swear it's causing problems. I can't see why they would have done that. Unless the bushings are loose and maybe during hard flex the spring shifted. Are they both like that? If so are they shifted the same direction?

Chorky

Observer
Has the bushing moved in the spring eye, or is the shackle that so wide that the bushing is walking on the bolt? As far as the dig tracking- doesn't matter if the from axel is perfectly centered or not- the rear axel is a few inches narrower than the front. Arrowcraft sells a spacer for the rear hubs that makes the track width the same as the from. It's a one piece steel unit. Super strong! I've got them on my flat bed truck. I used to always have people tell me the truck tracked crooked. It was only when they were behind me or coming around me to pass. It created the illusion of dog tracking. Soon as I put the spacers on I've not heard anyone say it. And it looks tons better. I want a set for the Diesel- I just haven't taken the time. As far as your springs- that doesn't look right....but I wouldn't swear it's causing problems. I can't see why they would have done that. Unless the bushings are loose and maybe during hard flex the spring shifted. Are they both like that? If so are they shifted the same direction?

Yeah I'm at a total loss for the springs. I honestly don't' know what's going on. I don't think the bushing is loose in the springs. It seems more like the bushing is 'sliding' on the bolt if anything? All are the same up front (rear springs are fine). All 4 mounts are shifted to the right. Funny thing is when it was first completed, it wasn't' like that, things were more centered with only one or two off to the side. They only all shifted that far right after last weekend of some hard driving. But it hasn't moved yet. I don't know if it moves when driving, but I don't really see any wear marks so I don't think it does. And I don't see any signs of the springs physically touching/rubbing on the shackle mounts either. It just seems weird to me that there is SO much space, it seems like the bracket almost was built too wide? And these are SD springs too...shouldn't SD springs be wider than the factory OBS springs?? I may have to make a call to Sky about the parts. I have considered just centering it and putting in some washers as a poor mans fix, but I really don't like to backyard engineer stuff unless no other options exist. My only thought is that when the alignment was done that somehow the track bar and panhard was tightened up a little too much and that it pulled the whole thing off to the right (the whole axle is to the right by about an inch). But, even if the track bar had the axle centered, with that much space, no doubt that over time things would move and slide around some. Like you said, it just doesn't seem right, but I'm at a loss as to why/what/how/etc.....

As for the spacers, I have considered that; however, I know with at least my Jeep spacers (1.25") do cause a lot of extra stress on bearings and components, and with such a heavy truck I am just uneasy about doing that.... But I really do wish the rear was the same width as the front!!! It bugs me a whole heck of a lot.

Seabass

Idiot
Well, I re-read what I posted earlier. Auto correct killed me. Sorry. I was bailing hay and driving a tractor while I typed. So the track bar should keep the axel centered. It looks like In the pic that the bracket is too wide for the spring. I'd use washers to center them if it was me. So what if it's backyard engineering. As long as the springs are centered who cares. I bet the SD springs are a tic different than the stock springs, or at least use a narrower bushing. Don't over think it. Washers will last as long as you'll own the truck- or till you change it up again. You may need to loosen the u-bolts to allow things to shift back and then re-tighten. But be advised- you can over tighten the passenger side u-bolts and collapse the bottom plate......ask me how I know. Are you using a drop bracket for the panhard bar? You probably should be if you aren't. If not then it is pulling the axel over. You might not need to loosen the u-bolts if it's the panhard bracket. Sky sells a really good one at a reasonable price. I used a tough country- but kinda wish I bought sky's instead. I think it's made stronger. But I was in a hurry an could get it next day from summit with the tough country. As far as the spacers on the rear axel: had them on for years and towed over 20,000 lbs on the gooseneck ball. Many times. I re-built the rear axel last winter. The bearings were fine. The guys that do dually conversions on our trucks use a similar spacer (a single wheel spacer is different- and you must specify that when you order) and I personally know guys that tow big and tow hard with these spacers. No failures that I know of. I wouldn't be afraid of them. The sterling axels have a pretty big gap between the two outer bearings. Seems they can easily handle the strain. I'll post a pic of a wheel- there's at least as much hub sticking out past the wheel mounting surface as a Chevy or Dodge would have with no spacer. These are good axels.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Well, I re-read what I posted earlier. Auto correct killed me. Sorry. I was bailing hay and driving a tractor while I typed.
Oh but you have to love autocorrect! It makes for some great conversations sometimes haha.

I'd use washers to center them if it was me.
That's what I was thinking......

Are you using a drop bracket for the panhard bar? You probably should be if you aren't. If not then it is pulling the axel over. You might not need to loosen the u-bolts if it's the panhard bracket. Sky sells a really good one at a reasonable price.
The one I am using is from Sky. I'll try and post up a pic if I can but it might be a while, leaving tomorrow morning.

As far as the spacers on the rear axel: had them on for years and towed over 20,000 lbs on the gooseneck ball. Many times. I re-built the rear axel last winter. The bearings were fine.
This is great to know! I'll be looking to pick some up soon!

Chorky

Observer
More pics. Boy this canopy was an excellent find/buy! I have NO clue how I would be packing for this trip otherwise.... And it came in just in time, only a week ago!

center.jpgleft.jpgright.jpg

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
As for the spacers, I have considered that; however, I know with at least my Jeep spacers (1.25") do cause a lot of extra stress on bearings and components, and with such a heavy truck I am just uneasy about doing that.... But I really do wish the rear was the same width as the front!!! It bugs me a whole heck of a lot.

the stress of a wheel spacer is not any different than a different offset on a set of wheels. Also remember that the DRW trucks have a factory 6" front wheel spacer for the front wheel inverse mounting.

Chorky

Observer
Well the trip here was interesting. 2 tire blowouts on the road, one replaced on the highway, the other I had to use one of my two spares - but found out ALL the tires were bad apparently. Les Shwab came to the rescue in a small town on the main highway - funny how neither of my two roadside assistance contracts were any bit of use. Wasted money I would say unless you're in the city. No clue what the point of roadside assistance if they can't provide assistance... In the process of going to the new location, I also was the first responder and had to render medical aid to a college girl who flipped her car going too fast. Hope she is alive... I never did hear any word. Then came to find out that I LOVE this place....and never want to leave. Cell signal is very poor, and internet access is hard to come by, and I dont have hardly any services where I'm staying for the summer, but the organization sets me up in a hotel while working, so I'm sure there will be WiFi there for updates and doing work type stuff involving internet.

Simply stunning.......
PANO_20180622_192828-1c.jpgIMG_20180620_160114-1c.jpgIMG_20180617_210055.jpgIMG_20180622_110344-1c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_210055.jpg
    IMG_20180617_210055.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 25

Chorky

Observer
On a side note, I did find out some troubling news. This new position turned out to only be seasonal work. Permanent, but seasonal due to weather. Understandably so, but frustrating since I really didn't know that prior to accepting the position - not that it would have made a difference.

So plan changes may yet again occur. The truck ran fine over here. It struggled on the hills, and seems to be pushing some black smoke now when heavy on the throttle. Likely due to being fully loaded, with a full trailer, larger tires, etc... So 45 up the passes was my max speed while keeping EGT temps in a comfortable range. Hopefully nothing got damaged....since all the work. But, after talking with some new 'neighbors', and realizing the truth of my new position, I have come to realize a trailer probably won't cut it for much longer. For one, its 'old', even though in good shape after the blowouts and having had money put into it for reliability. The cold is the biggest deal. It's really not going to work without more money for long cold winters. It also is likely pretty unsafe to tow on icy roads, which will be necessary in light of new job information.

So, I am considering selling it, soon... I don't have to worry about job stuff until a year and a half or so from now; however, preparation is key in my mind and I had better get a jump on things now. So...I have almost (not 100% decided on yet) come to the decision that a 4X4 motorhome that can be worked on might be a better choice than the trailer thing. More mobile, considering especially that the job is not a all year thing (which is the main driver really), and tanks, lines, equipment, etc...can be put inside a warm place rather than hanging down with the frame rails (as with the trailer). And it is more mobile (especially in winter icy roads) than a 7K trailer, even with chains. I've never been a fan of towing in the ice unless absolutely necessary. So, since my mobility needs just increased as of yesterday's information..... Selling the trailer and getting a good motorhome (smallish) is on the menu.

So I have long considered the Revcon Trailblazer to be pretty freaking awesome. It's a 'frame' I am familiar with, can be fixed with most 'normal' parts, and of course is 4 wheel drive unlike most motorhomes. I have recently located one that I probably should go look at. But it is above my abilities to pay for without a loan. Although a loan would probably be good to boost further my already excellent credit rating for a future home/property. The one HUGE downfall is the only Revcon's that I have found so far are gas... and doing a diesel swap would be expensive and time consuming.... But, I am almost dead set on diesel, just due to the possibility of diesel run appliances (I HATE propane - dangerous and not always available).

Anywhoo...I wanted to hear the communities thoughts on this as an idea. My truck is not going to be sold, just to put that out there...I've put too much money and effort into it to sell it. But a motorhome, such as the oddball (like me) Revcon, might be a good addition. Any motorhome for that matter I would plan to gut, and rebuild at least the interior to make it a good very cold weather vehicle, and add all the goodies to be off grid so that I wouldn't' need to 'rent' an RV space (in other words, be a nomad with no true place to live in light of new job information).

Hmm...probably should post this as a new thread to get attention of others input as well.

Chorky

Observer
Why not build your own box on the back of the F-350? Something like this:

View attachment 456875
Well I certainly have considered something like that in the past. But the honest and simple reality is right now I just don't have the time to do such a project. Aside from the fact that space is a premium right now (truck and trailer are both FULLY packed between personal items and work gear). If I were to build my own, I would be restricted to about 4 months of time available - but that would also be during a time of finishing my second bachelors, working full time, and converting to permanent job status. If I were to have something that needed fixing/retrofitting, I could extend that to 8 months or so, since fabrication tools are not quite so portable as is normal hand tools. Now, I am still considering a service bed and custom pop-up (likely from Phoenix) as an option (like my original build idea - which at some point WILL happen for camping and exploring purposes); however, something like that was with consideration of only 2 years of full time living as a thought, also knowing that literally half of each month would be in housing for the job. Now since that job turned out to only be half a year now, housing during the winter would be my own gig full time, and what ever random job I can find to pay for 'life' - maybe in my same current location, maybe not...(at least until a truly full time position opens up). So I had figured that something a tad larger and slightly more comfortable would be more reasonable. I also have come to terms recently with the fact that this may not be just a year or two ordeal...it might be more like upwards of 5-8 years - hopefully not, but I'd rather error on the side of caution. Retrofitting/fixing/rebuilding a 'frame' of sorts that is already set up I think would be much easier, and quicker, than building something from scratch.

But I'm not totally throwing out any idea either. Taking into consideration many many different options. I do need to make some sort of decision within 3 months though, to begin what ever project is decided on.

Seabass

Idiot
Might consider a flat bed and a FWC flat bed model. They'd have to offer more storage. I'm with Pappa in a sense. But instead of starting from scratch like he is with his- just get something ready to go. Or at least close. A set of big underbody boxes, maybe a receiver hitch tray with a tool chest.....lots of possibilities. As for the hills..... I've noticed that my PSD really slows on hard and steep passes. I have several buddies running these old school diesels. They tell me it's just life with these old trucks without lots of aftermarket parts. They do tell me to run it hard. Really hard. I have one bud who runs a repair shop and he says the bottom end in these old 7.3's is almost indestructible. Tells me it's impossible to over-rev it. Says be WOT at the bottom of a hill and hold it. I haven't done that....yet. But I do run the piss out of it now when I pull it. The V-8 diesel seems to like the high RPM's. I drove a Cummins powered Dodge for years. It's a TOTALLY different engine. You don't run those I-6's like that. So I'm still learning the 7.3. I still say simpler is always better. If it were me, I'd find a way to utilize the truck you've already spent so much time and money in to live out of. There was a guy..... Bowman Odyssey? He did a thread. Had a common rail dodge with a flat bed and a FWC on it. Guy lived in it with his family for a good while. Truck had a bunch of miles on it when he started. He fixed the truck up and traveled a bunch of the country. It was a cool thread. Surly if he and his wife and kid could pull that off you could do similar? Awesome pics by the way! I'm truly jealous of the time you are having. Sorry to hear the job's a seasonal thing. But that's life. We zig and zag. Never know what is coming. There's a book- I recommend everyone read it at least once in their life- it says we aren't promised tomorrow. Kinda says what your experiencing, that you just never know. So just have faith that if you keep looking and paying attention....it'll work out just fine. Sounds like you aren't really worried about it anyway. So keep us posted....hope that wifi is fast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94