Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

uberhahn

Observer
DGarman - Dice and a few other FSJs on here were an inspiration for me to dive head first into a GW.
Mine is a ‘86, with a 4” lift, and a swingout tire carrier bumper. Currently working on refinishing the interior, fixing a few things like the heater and AC. Also has a manual transfer case conversion.
Swapped seats for some from a Grand Cherokee, but saved the originals in case I want to recover them at some point.

I’ve created a small youtube channel that I’ve sort of dedicated to my ventures in fixing up the ‘ol girl.
Take a look see. I doubt you’ll get anything new from me, as this is really my first project, but you can live through my mistakes :)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7whuaEuw4OKpDOiPAPt3rw

boxcar1

boxcar1
Nice Wag. Gotta love the FSJ's . Mine took 2 years to build. Then some expletive guy was willing to pay way way more than she was worth. Off she went . I miss that rig a ton. 1973 Wagoneer .

007.JPG

178.jpg

181.jpg

184.jpg

304121631.jpg

Thanks Pete!..... I appreciate that!.....
Dice actually has Rancho 2-1/2" springs on the front........ new stock height springs from Crown(?) on the back.....
The front clears fine with the 31-10.50s..... with no weight in the back, the stock rears are OK..... but loaded up he sits low in the rear and bottoms out easier.....
I'm going to add a set of Rancho Add-A-Leafs to the back..... raise it 1" to 1-1/2"..... and give it a little more spring rate.
I have a big box full of farkles for Dice....... electrical stuff..... vacuum stuff..... gauges..... new carb..... dash panel.... door panels..... etc...... etc........ but he just runs so good and doesn't complain about anything..... I just drive him and take him places he would've never gone with his previous owner!

Thanks Dennis! I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with just a 2" and still fit 31x10.50s... it sounds like I'll be okay in the front, but maybe not with a loaded down trunk

I've done a little bit of leather work, but am no means a skilled tradesman like you - I was thinking of rewrapping my Wagoneeer's steering wheel by using two curved needles and double stitching it. And then folding over the ends and initially securing with some contact cement... Any suggestions or changes?

DGarman

What could go wrong?
DGarman - Dice and a few other FSJs on here were an inspiration for me to dive head first into a GW.
Mine is a ‘86, with a 4” lift, and a swingout tire carrier bumper. Currently working on refinishing the interior, fixing a few things like the heater and AC. Also has a manual transfer case conversion.
Swapped seats for some from a Grand Cherokee, but saved the originals in case I want to recover them at some point.

I’ve created a small youtube channel that I’ve sort of dedicated to my ventures in fixing up the ‘ol girl.
Take a look see. I doubt you’ll get anything new from me, as this is really my first project, but you can live through my mistakes :)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7whuaEuw4OKpDOiPAPt3rw
Thanks Uberhahn! I'll check it out!

Nice Wag. Gotta love the FSJ's . Mine took 2 years to build. Then some expletive guy was willing to pay way way more than she was worth. Off she went . I miss that rig a ton. 1973 Wagoneer .
View attachment 467345
Thanks Boxcar! Good lookin' Wag there..... Nice color combination!

Thanks Dennis! I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with just a 2" and still fit 31x10.50s... it sounds like I'll be okay in the front, but maybe not with a loaded down trunk

I've done a little bit of leather work, but am no means a skilled tradesman like you - I was thinking of rewrapping my Wagoneeer's steering wheel by using two curved needles and double stitching it. And then folding over the ends and initially securing with some contact cement... Any suggestions or changes?
I don't get any rubbing at all..... but I haven't really twisted Dice up either.
I think they make kits for steering wheels..... you stitch them up but the leather is sized and formed..... that would be my recommendation.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Not much going on with Dice for awhile...... just keep topping off fluids and driving him!
He's made several trips to AZ, UT, and NV with no problems.

He did get new wheels this morning..... He wanted a more vintage look than he had with the later model Grand Wagoneer wheels.

Bobzdar

Observer
Not much going on with Dice for awhile...... just keep topping off fluids and driving him!
He's made several trips to AZ, UT, and NV with no problems.

He did get new wheels this morning..... He wanted a more vintage look than he had with the later model Grand Wagoneer wheels.

Outstanding!

Makes me want to get mine back out, maybe this weekend.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Now that the weather is getting nicer in the High Desert..... figured I should address Dice's cooling system.....
The original radiator had a couple of small leaks when cold..... but they sealed up when warm!?!..... sprang for a new radiator for the Old Guy.....
Replaced the water pump and fan clutch also since I was in the neighborhood.....
And of course..... belts and hoses too.....
Took the opportunity to jettison components of the incomplete AC system..... the condenser and the York compressor..... thought briefly about converting the York to an air compressor.... but my smaller and lighter portable compressor works just fine for us.....
Also pulled off a junkyard electric fan that was precariously mounted in front of the condenser..... but not wired up.....

The old junk.....

The new stuff.....

Huh..... leftover nuts and bolts.....

Like I said the fan wasn't mounted very well..... one of it's brackets was actually half of a door hinge.... I thought this was..... ummm..... interesting.....

Dice had a tendency to get warmer than I liked on long grades..... now we can start with a clean slate and address that problem if it still exists.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Now that the weather is getting nicer in the High Desert..... figured I should address Dice's cooling system.....
The original radiator had a couple of small leaks when cold..... but they sealed up when warm!?!..... sprang for a new radiator for the Old Guy.....
Replaced the water pump and fan clutch also since I was in the neighborhood.....
And of course..... belts and hoses too.....
Took the opportunity to jettison components of the incomplete AC system..... the condenser and the York compressor..... thought briefly about converting the York to an air compressor.... but my smaller and lighter portable compressor works just fine for us.....
Also pulled off a junkyard electric fan that was precariously mounted in front of the condenser..... but not wired up.....

The old junk.....

The new stuff.....

Huh..... leftover nuts and bolts.....

Like I said the fan wasn't mounted very well..... one of it's brackets was actually half of a door hinge.... I thought this was..... ummm..... interesting.....

Dice had a tendency to get warmer than I liked on long grades..... now we can start with a clean slate and address that problem if it still exists.

I really ought to ditch my AC too. Its all there, its all connected, but it doesnt work. The dang under dash unit has been falling and breaking more and more over time as well, I currently have it propped up with a section of 2x6 haha. When I lived in Vegas it was always a "one day" project. But, then after driving it around vegas in the 115* heat for 5 years, and not having AC, I think I'm okay with it no matter where I live in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles