Did OK4WD Just Hold a Fake Raffle???

cgrigsby79

Not sure where to post this, but figured the forum hosted by OK4WD was as good as any!

I am sure I'm missing something obvious, but there are some really odd things about a recent OK4WD promotion culminating in a raffle on 5/21/18 to credit the winner for the full cost of the suspension kit they bought from OK4WD.

The rules of the promotion were as follows:
1. Follow OK4WD on Instagram or Facebook
2. Publicly post a picture of your new suspension using hashtag #ok4wdspringfree
3. Watch Live Feed on May 21st for a Winner to Be Chosen

So here is where things get strange...
I got a DM from OK4WD the morning of the rally on Instagram asking me what name my order was under, to which I responded shortly thereafter.
Oddly enough, there were only 5 unique individuals who posted on facebook using the #ok4wdspringfree hashtag and only 7 who posted on Instagram...but the video of the raffle drawing looks like there are hundreds of entries in the hopper. Where did all of the other entries come from? Were all these people contacted like I was the morning of the drawing to verify their name? Seems unlikely. Also, the winner was verbally announced as "Skip" but none of the #ok4wdspringfree posts seem to belong to a "Skip" nor has "Skip" posted on either Instagram or Facebook celebrating his big prize. Not sure I've ever seen a raffle where the winning ticket isn't actually shown on camera.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm doing something stupid on my end, but can anyone explain this?

Links to the hashtag and raffle video here:
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/#ok4wdspringfree/stories-keyword/stories-public
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ok4wdspringfree/

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'd love to see hear an explanation. Depending on the state, this is very illegal. (States that have strong gambling regulations tend to take a very dim view of rigged raffles as they view it as equivalent...)

daveh

Adventurer
I haven’t been following this contest and I’m sure OK4WD will chime in, but typically they allow those who attend onsite events to also enter if they have in fact purchased a qualifying product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgrigsby79

That is what I was wondering as well, but the stated rules state that you had to post photos of your new suspension using the hashtag in order to be eligible for the drawing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Laws vary from state to state but in general, a "promotional drawing" is different from a "raffle." A "raffle" requires a participant to purchase something in order to win. Those tend to be regulated much more tightly than "promotional drawings" because a "raffle" can be considered a form of gambling.

By contrast, a "promotional giveaway" does not require a purchase, at most it requires you to fill out a form or ticket, and sometimes you have to be present to win, but you aren't really "risking" anything with a promotional giveaway.

I suppose you could always check with the OK Attorney General's office to see whether OK4wd followed OK law regarding the raffle.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Hey Chris -- I'll chime in and respond to your valid concerns! We've been running this promotion for the last few years with great response. However, this year, we decided to incorporate the hashtag to be eligible to win. Unfortunately we only had 8 individuals (including yourself) use the #ok4wdspringfree promotion between Facebook and Instagram. The team here talked about it and ultimately decided that it was only right we went through with only the eight contestants who properly entered the contest (despite there being 10 times that who were purchased suspension kits). However, only having eight pieces of paper with names on it wasn't very exciting to watch. In fact it was a pretty sad sight to see when we were spinning the tumbler. We decided to put the eight contestants in there ten times so there were 80 pieces of paper being tumbled around - it made it much more exciting to watch without changing the probability of winning (which was 1:8). The winner Skip Unangst is indeed a real living customer who won their AEV lift kit that he purchased from us. Here is his post on Facebook, which is under Jay, which more than likely contributed to the confusion and suspicion. He stopped by our store on Tuesday to pick up the check that reimbursed him for the suspension kit he purchased from us.

Attachments

• 2018-05-24 16_16_39-OK Auto 4WD & Tire - Posts.jpg
    2018-05-24 16_16_39-OK Auto 4WD & Tire - Posts.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 64

fjmario

Adventurer
Damn, James coming through with the explanation! It wasn't actually necessary but you took the time to explain everything and that is highly appreciated!

cgrigsby79

Hey Chris -- I'll chime in and respond to your valid concerns! We've been running this promotion for the last few years with great response. However, this year, we decided to incorporate the hashtag to be eligible to win. Unfortunately we only had 8 individuals (including yourself) use the #ok4wdspringfree promotion between Facebook and Instagram. The team here talked about it and ultimately decided that it was only right we went through with only the eight contestants who properly entered the contest (despite there being 10 times that who were purchased suspension kits). However, only having eight pieces of paper with names on it wasn't very exciting to watch. In fact it was a pretty sad sight to see when we were spinning the tumbler. We decided to put the eight contestants in there ten times so there were 80 pieces of paper being tumbled around - it made it much more exciting to watch without changing the probability of winning (which was 1:8). The winner Skip Unangst is indeed a real living customer who won their AEV lift kit that he purchased from us. Here is his post on Facebook, which is under Jay, which more than likely contributed to the confusion and suspicion. He stopped by our store on Tuesday to pick up the check that reimbursed him for the suspension kit he purchased from us.

Well thanks for taking the time to explain everything...much appreciated!!!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Thanks for explaing that James and man Chris have some faith in humanity :)

cgrigsby79

Ha, well you have to admit the circumstances were a little suspect!!! I'm still drooling over a full-blown Alu-Cab Gen 3 Tent, 270 Shadow-Awn, and Roof Rack, so let me know if you want to hook me up with a consolation prize package discount!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Ha, well you have to admit the circumstances were a little suspect!!! I'm still drooling over a full-blown Alu-Cab Gen 3 Tent, 270 Shadow-Awn, and Roof Rack, so let me know if you want to hook me up with a consolation prize package discount!

HAHA, for sure man. I will be getting back to the shop after the holiday weekend, drop me a mail (rino@ok4wd.com) and i will see what i can do for you. Also thanks for the business with the suspension kit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles