Diesel Jerry cans

• Thread starter Deleted member 215671
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215671

Hopefully that will be my exact set up lol. I may send you a pm with the DIY nozzle.

Alloy

I have 9 of the Spectre #03711 ( almost 6gal ea) cans and carry a couple of the EZ Pour nozzle around. The EZ Pour double the pour rate.

Lost one empty can when a bunji cord wasn't tight enough and it bounced out on a FSR.

I ordered the cans few years ago through a marine supply store and they gave me a better discount on ten....about the same price as I see the red cans in Costco.

D

Deleted member 215671

I have 9 of the Spectre #03711 ( almost 6gal ea) cans and carry a couple of the EZ Pour nozzle around. The EZ Pour double the pour rate.

Lost one empty can when a bunji cord wasn't tight enough and it bounced out on a FSR.

I ordered the cans few years ago through a marine supply store and they gave me a better discount on ten....about the same price as I see the red cans in Costco.

I am hoping to work a affordadle deal with the member on here for two of the plastic military scepters but I may just get the yellow consumer ones. I was just really hoping for the milspec ones as I can attest to using them overseas and they held up very well to say the least. Cool spout though I bookmarked it depending on how things go. Super excited to actually use them this summer pending the who virus issue but our town is SMALL so hoping its effects are still limited compared to the big hot spots etc.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I know the Scepter and Wavian cans have a great reputation and are nearly bomb-proof, but they're also pretty expensive to buy new, and hard to find used. I'll offer another solution that hasn't given me any trouble, and that's the plastic Midwest cans. I have been trying all kinds of cans since my go-to Blitz went out of business years ago. I've found the 5 gallon midwest cans currently on the market to be remarkably durable. And currently on sale for $15 at TSC...

I don't stop there... I buy the old style spout for them off ebay because the included self venting and closing spouts are pretty terrible. I also add a vent where it belongs at the back of the can. The Midwest cans have two handles, so they're easy to use, and they have a more stable shape than taller cans, so they strap down and stay put. Downside is that they won't fit a jerry can holder, but neither will the Midwest can that looks like it would... It's just a bit too wide at the base. I have beat the tar out of these cans and I have yet to have one fail in any way.

The other option if you want something a little more HD is to go with the 5 gallon No-Spil cans.

The can itself is really well made and probably twice as heavy as the Midwest can. Still not as heavy as the Scepter can, but do you really plan to treat your cans like you're a 19 year old army private?? The nozzle that comes with them is actually great for fueling lawn mowers with their smaller cans, but I don't really care for it on the 5 gallon can, and it's definitely not any good for fueling a vehicle. For that purpose, I would suggest buying the solid caps instead and using a jingle siphon to transfer the fuel out.

I have come to love my jingle siphon for fueling most of my vehicles from cans. So long as you can set the can on something higher than the fuel fill, they're much easier than holding a 5 gallon can, and just about as fast!

Apologies if my non-jerry cans are beneath some of you. Just wanted to toss out that for many of us, there is no need for a military rated indestructable fuel can... There are options for cans that hold up really well if you're not strapping them into a military style jerry can holder. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 215671

Ya if im being honest with myself too. Im not bouncing off rocks like my 1984 4runner would I may just test out some of the more affordable ones. I have used a super/safety siphon once after getting some jet fuel in my mouth during some of my more memorable times with the military but the cheaper ones may work just fine.

Plus im probably going to temporarily mount them in a modified receiver mounted cargo carrier anyways. Plud No way im trying to wrestle 5gal of diesel off the roof/canopy rack of this truck even stock they are very high lol. Still waiting on a potential deal on two used scepter cans but if nothing comes of it i'll post up my experience with the more affordable options regardless. Do appreciate the thought many of you put into this.

I even went with the biggest tire that fits in my oem under the bed mount location because trying to lift a 35in tire off the roof if just a pita and I don't have the need for a swing arm carrier bumper yet etc.

D

Deleted member 215671

Well I was in the talks with a member here and unfortunately he ghosted me. Said there was gonna be pictures coming and nothing. Sent follow up message next day and week later and shows his profile has been on multiple times today Even :( Not sure what happened to be honest???

anyone have one or two scepter plastic containers used they’d sell? I figured shipping won’t be fun but I’ll still probably save money vs driving 8+hrs into Canada hahaha.

if nothing pops up relatively soon I’m not afraid to test and review some of more general consumer types. I just was hoping for a scepter hahaha. More of a want vs need but we know how that goes.

appreciate all the info and replies and To the person I was talking too not sure what happened? Maybe I’ll get a message someday lol.

D

Deleted member 215671

Bump today in case anyone has some plastic scepter 5gal fuel cans they'd like to sell

D

Deleted member 215671

I’ve looked at eBay every now and then but figured if I could support an active forum member first is all. I still don’t know why the other member just stopped messaging me randomly lol. I’ll keep looking though.

D

Deleted member 215671

I ended up just playing the waiting game and got in my eyes very lucky. two scepter fuel cans used of course for less than new if buying from scepter,dstactical and others. We'll see how true the description was when they arrive but by far the most affordable option on ebay i've seen for any scepter products. Still more expensive than cheaper locally available fuel cans but im hoping these will be more heavy duty as the diesel doesn't ride near as soft on trails as a hald ton trucks or my old 1984 4runner.

There was a military surplus store in PA that had surplus metal cans for sale. $20-25 per can and they sold the clip on spouts and new gaskets as well. Have you looked into this path?

Lmg

Bump today in case anyone has some plastic scepter 5gal fuel cans they'd like to sell
A friend asked me today about NATO fuel cans and I gave him this link, and then remembered this thread, so I thought I would post this:

This company has the Scepter cans too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier