Diesel Mog mileage

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Ok guys I have a couple of questions...

Who has high speed diff ratios installed and is there a decent mileage increase ?

What kind of speeds did you guys run at on the freeways / highways in the US ?

What appears to be the optimum freeway speed, not just mileage, but also noise and safety feel ?

oonimog

Adventurer
Mileage

You didn't mention which model you're interested in but here's my experience:

I have high speed diffs and a 170hp 352A (turbo) in my U1300L37. On 14.5's (365/80) it cruises comfortably at 100kph and consumes about 19-20L/100k. It's only ever had the high speed axles so I have no personal experience on the mileage difference between standard and high speed axles. But, during a long trip taken with a friend who's U1200 has standard axles, he used a fair bit more fuel than I did. No surprise given my lower RPMs at the same speed.

As for safety, the truck is quite stable and handles well at 100kph, but I think it's most comfortable at 95k. I'm sure the wheel base helps. I've driven a friend's 1550 with a tweeked OM366LA, high speed axles, Claas overdrive, and 395/85's up at 125-130 kph and things start to get a bit spooky at that speed.

I've spent many long days driving for weeks at a time and noise hasn't really been a problem, but the cab is insulated.

Hope this helps.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I have a 1250L DoKa with the 352a (turbo). It has the "superfast" axles and at 100kph(62mph) it runs about 2200-2300 rpm. Empty it gets about 11mpg and towing about 9-10mpg. My truck will do 75mph rapped out. It is very stable at that speed yet you feel like you're pushing it (mechanically not stability wise). I don't have alot of insulation yet but it still is quiet enough for my family to travel. Did I happen to mention it can be slow in the passes (35-45mph)? I don't mind because I think slowly also.
Chas

My U500 is not a typical SBU Mog. It has 5.92 gears with an 8 spd with top gear = 0.736, so top gear = 4.36. With 395/85R20s it runs ~1900 rpm @ 60 mph, which is my cruising speed. The motor puts out peak power at 2200. It is governed at 70; I've had it at up to 75 on downgrades. It feels stable and is relatively quiet (can listen to music at any speed) but there's lots of reasons to keep speed limited to 60: mileage (27L/100km with gvw = 12000kg), general road safety, and tires. The tires are "rated" at 70 but it's really a 55 mph tire which has been downrated on load from 168 to 158 (11200kg to 8500kg/axle) in order to uprate the speed. Since my rear axle load fully loaded approaches 8000-8500kg I feel more comfortable at 60.

Charlie

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Claas overdrive, do tell ?

I guess that the 352a is the topic for me but general unimog is good.

I think tires will also impact these questions

OS-Aussie said:
Claas overdrive, do tell ?

I guess that the 352a is the topic for me but general unimog is good.

I think tires will also impact these questions

No Claas OD. All UGN and UHNs come with an 8 spd with the same ratio steps as the SBU 8 spd but 0.736 taller, so 1st is 9.57 or thereabouts instead of 13.01. Not really a problem with the two low ranges. Axle gearing varies from 5.92 to 6.94.

Charlie

oonimog

Adventurer
Claas OD

The Claas is a ~ 22% OD gear splitter. It allows use of OD in each gear, doubling the number of gears available. You essentially get 1st, 1st x 22% OD...8th, 8th x 22% OD. It's nice because in addition to allowing 22% more speed (assuming you have the power) or 22% less RPMs at the same speed, there are times when a "half" gear is really helpful. The downside is the cost - upwards of $5K (not installed).

The OD replaces the bell housing so it is between the engine and transmission (the two are divorced on an SBU). Nice because installation is easy but it means no engine driven PTO.

Last edited:
oonimog said:
The Claas is a ~ 22% OD gear splitter. It allows use of OD in each gear, doubling the number of gears available. You essentially get 1st, 1st x 22% OD...8th, 8th x 22% OD. It's nice because in addition to allowing 22% more speed (assuming you have the power) or 22% less RPMs at the same speed, there are times when a "half" gear is really helpful. The downside is the cost - upwards of $5K (not installed).

The OD replaces the bell housing so it is between the engine and transmission (the two are divorced on an SBU). Nice because installation is easy but it means no engine drive PTO.

If it decreases rpm by 22% the ratio is 0.78:1. If it increases speed by 22% the ratio is 0.82:1. Do you know which it is?

Charlie

oonimog

Adventurer
Charlie,
I believe .78 so top gear is 1.00 (transmission) x 5.307 (axle) x .78 (OD) = 4.14

On a different topic, which engine did you drop into your M37, Cummins?

oonimog said:
Charlie,
I believe .78 so top gear is 1.00 (transmission) x 5.307 (axle) x .78 (OD) = 4.14

On a different topic, which engine did you drop into your M37, Cummins?

I'll bet you it's 0.82 because 1.22 squared = 1.484 is very close to unimog gear spacing.
My M37 has a 3.7L Hercules.

Charlie

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
very educational guys

What is the best and worst mods you have done or seen on this platform ?

I so want a unimog for a long term platform.

rhodos

Observer
Hi all,

our 417 with full equiped camper box runs a range from 18l/100km up to 23l/100km (13 to 10 mpg) depending on speed and load.

bye, Werner

Robthebrit

Explorer
My 416 camper has a late generation (1988) none turbo om352 with the pump turned up as high as it will go. Its probably putting out near 150hp. On the recent death valley trip I got 13.2mpg over 800 miles with a mix or trail, dirt road and blacktop.

It has the super high speed axles and with the stadard 8 speed tranny I can do about 70mph, I normally cruise at 55 at around 2400rpm so I can hear the radio. Normally I am power limited before I get to that speed and like charlie pointed out I have 55mph tires.

The 416 transmission is really bad with its gear spacing. There is a huge gap between 7th and 8th which causes problems on hills. You have to change down on hills but the only gear to go to is 7th which halves your speed, max speed in 7th is 37mph. It really needs an extra gear in the middle, I have enough power to pull hills a 50mph given the right gear. The 20 speed tranny has a splitter which fixes the problem nicely. The SBUs have a straight 8 speed with nice spacing.

The tranny problem is slightly worse with standard axles. Yes you can pull steeper hills before changing down due to the lower gearing but ultimately you will have to change down. Top speed in 7th gear without fast axles is something like 31-32mph!

Rob

TxRider

Observer
charlieaarons said:
I'll bet you it's 0.82 because 1.22 squared = 1.484 is very close to unimog gear spacing.
My M37 has a 3.7L Hercules.

Charlie

Might be a little off topic, but how is the herc in the M-37? I'm doing an M-37 now and was planning on a 4bt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz