Diesel vs Gasoline

billiebob

Here is the quote of the day ...

Brought the van to a local Powerstroke Performance Shop for a full diagnostic and mechanical overhaul.
Over $12k in receipts.

Go in with $12K and a gas engine and you'd get a new crate engine installed.
The premium you pay for the diesel when buying is nothing compared to the premium you pay to keep it running.

D

Deleted member 9101

Here is the quote of the day ...

Brought the van to a local Powerstroke Performance Shop for a full diagnostic and mechanical overhaul.
Over $12k in receipts.

Go in with $12K and a gas engine and you'd get a new crate engine installed.
The premium you pay for the diesel when buying is nothing compared to the premium you pay to keep it running.

12K with a gasser gets you a custom built motor, as in stroker crank and head work.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My dad is starting to get up to speed on Van based RVs for his retirement plan. I’m pretty convinced that his budget and use that the gas ones are the best and only way to go. He likes the sprinter but after talking about the limited service locations and the “sprinter” issues that are widely known and a pretty clear source of traveler stress and trip planning impacts when they happen. He isn’t ok with those things.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A gas long block is $8000 at the dealer, installed. A junky reman'd long block, installed by an independent shop is $6000. I've done both. Fuel system repairs on the diesel are just too expensive and can eclipse serious gas repairs easy. Also keep in mind that the gas engine will require a timing chain and tensioners at some point. Many fleets skip that, and will do a long block at that point. Especially if they get over 250,000 miles on one before it blows up.

$12k gets you an engine and transmission with gas trucks.

Don't forget the uber expensive DPF that might not be delete-able anymore. And plenty of DEF injector replacements. Not to mention 1-2 gallons of DEF per tank of diesel.

Then on top of all of that, my diesel is only powerful when it wants to be. Cruising down the hwy with a trailer. On city streets, if you hit the torque limiter in low gears, the gas truck will sail right by. And the diesel lifts throttle to shift slowly. Around town, and on slow country backroads, the gas engine is more spirited, faster, and more fun.

Hauling a 30 foot TT, yeah I'd rather have a diesel, but a gas engine does that job fine. Overlanding with almost no cargo weight? Gas for sure. Giant tires and a slide in camper?......can go either way depending on exact setup.

It's a race to see who can make a clean diesel that isn't crap. First to do that is going to rule the diesel industry. You get to be the beta testers in the meantime. I'll bet that emissions are overall better at Tier4 levels. Considering regen, and higher overall consumption.

Drop down to Tier3 or 4 rules, I'll be the first in line to buy a diesel engine.

Last edited:

billiebob

If you are looking at new, the gas powered sprinters are cheaper, and should be an option on the cab-chassis and class Bs.
And I hear the diesel Sprinters are not being imported till summer since there are questions about their emissions. But the gas Sprinter is still avaiable.

Nathansharkey80

Diesel power is the best option for any internal combustion engine used for overland travel for a lot of reasons. That being said, some people have complained that they have had a difficult time finding diesel in their area. Not sure how that is possible but apparently it is an issue for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Diesel power is the best option for any internal combustion engine used for overland travel for a lot of reasons. That being said, some people have complained that they have had a difficult time finding diesel in their area. Not sure how that is possible but apparently it is an issue for some.

It is except the cost and reliability is hitting the point that the modern gas engines are more attractive. And I’m a diesel guy. My current diesel just got a emissions repair last yr. Yeah my 1986 Kubota/Universal had a blocked up exhaust elbow. $300 service call. Lol

Nathansharkey80

I have been using Diesel engines for all of my life. They are chosen for commercial and industrial reasons for a reason. There is no comparison with a gasoline/petrol engine. All commercial industries rely on diesel. Marine included. It is a shame that there is a push to get rid of them for consumer use. A lot of morons working hard to make policies which make absolutely no sense.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have been using Diesel engines for all of my life. They are chosen for commercial and industrial reasons for a reason.
Yes, fuel economy. That's all. In every other way gasoline is competitive or exceeds diesel; there is no reason a gasoline powerplant cannot (and isn't) just as reliable, long lasting, or cost effective.

For light vehicles (not commercial trucks), the fuel economy advantage of diesel is moot. Thus a gasoline powerplant is cheaper, more reliable, and a better value for the vast majority of light vehicle applications.

Ducstrom

It's my understanding that diesel does have more energy than a comparable amount (weight) of gasoline. Diesel engines are also built more robust to handle the higher compression ratios of CI making them arguably longer lasting. Diesel is also less volatile than gasoline, making handling it more safe.

Add in government emission restriction regulations with the addition of ULSD, EGR, DOC, DPF, SCR with DEF and reliability starts to get called into question. Fuel economy gets reduced. Overall price of a diesel increases to pay for these government mandated emission systems.

Now the diesels don't start to look that great. The diesel engines are great, it's all the crap bolted to them that make them that's less reliable, less fuel efficient, and more expensive.

CampStewart

Observer

It seems like this is the perfect thread for you to list all of those reasons

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sure, we can discuss the diesels of yore, with their legendary traits. But they are long gone. They will not be coming back (thankfully, they are very dirty).

So, by popular admission, there is no value to a modern diesel in a light vehicle application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior