Diesel vs Gasoline

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I like the turbo grunt myself. Though having driven several of the turbo charged gasoline engines on the market, its about the same feel, just with less vibration.

But yeah, more power to the folks who like their diesel engines. Its like the folks who love their european sports cars. The feel and experience is a bit unique (though you can get about the same from a domestic). But there is no way to justify them from a cost or reliability perspective.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
This was posted today on truckcampermagazine.com.

A real world 1 year review from a person who changed from diesel powered albeit older 6.0 Ford F350 4WD crew cab to a new gas powered Ford F350 crew cab 4WD for hauling/traveling with their Lance camper, their thought process as to why to make the change and their review of this decision to go with a gas powered truck now that they have many miles and 1 year of time under their belt with the new 6.2 litre gas powered truck.

Something to consider!

D

Deleted member 9101

I like the turbo grunt myself. Though having driven several of the turbo charged gasoline engines on the market, its about the same feel, just with less vibration.

But yeah, more power to the folks who like their diesel engines. Its like the folks who love their european sports cars. The feel and experience is a bit unique (though you can get about the same from a domestic). But there is no way to justify them from a cost or reliability perspective.

Whats funny is the 3.5 EcoBoost feels more like a diesel than the 3.0 powerstroke....lol.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sure, we can discuss the diesels of yore, with their legendary traits. But they are long gone. They will not be coming back (thankfully, they are very dirty).

So, by popular admission, there is no value to a modern diesel in a light vehicle application.
Its reaching that point.
Heavy equipment even the micro construction equipment however still get basic benefits from diesel power. But even the small stuff is starting to migrate to gas powered engines.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Whats funny is the 3.5 EcoBoost feels more like a diesel than the 3.0 powerstroke....lol.
I will say that my 3.5 with 5600 miles on it is way more Diesel like than my old V8’s in prior vehicles. Its a bit strange having a 400hp V6 that basically never runs past 3000rpm and has lots of grunt at 1200rpm. On the rare case where it gets asked to run hard its still weird given it performs but you don’t get the racing rpm effect. Just like my old diesels you run it hard and you get power but it never seems like the engine was actually running hard. Unless of course your a tuner and run a diesel like a gas V8 drag car lol

jonathon

I went through this debate myself and came close to buying a Cummins but like was summed up by the original poster, gas is overall cheaper. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to repair.

Modern gas engines can run thousands of hours with basic maintenance. Modern gas engines can idle for long periods without concern of cylinder wash down or emissions system issues. Modern gas engines paired with a modern transmission have the grunt to work hard.

If you want a diesel, buy one an enjoy it. I won’t say diesel is a bad choice at all. I just won’t agree with diesel being the only engine choice worth considering unless you’re comparing dinosaurs like the 12v Cummins to a TBI 5.7 Chevy.

Kaisen

Explorer
...gas is overall cheaper. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to repair.

Most people also haven't done an honest calculation of FUEL COST.
Yes, you'll typically use less fuel with a diesel engine versus a gasoline engine.
But for 47 of 50 states in the US, diesel fuel cost has averaged 23% more than gasoline over the last ten years.

Use 25% less fuel that costs 23% more at the pump... how long will it take to recuperate the initial option cost premium to diesel? Could take years, even more than a decade. That's if you're honest with calculations.

You buy diesel for POWER, and nothing else (and only because the manufacturers generally choose not to offer powerful gasoline engines where they offer diesels)

Nathansharkey80

The same kinda guys telling you a gas jobby is better than a diesel are the same guys telling you a timex is better than a rolex because it keeps more accurate time.

Pick and choose your passions my friends. I am a diesel loving rolex enthusiast and there is no substitute for diesel in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducstrom

Not only that, but also the idling time. I don't know about where you live but in the frozen north diesels are left idling everywhere.
They take forever to warm up so people typically start them way in advance to leaving.
Going out for dinner; there are always several diesels idling away in the parking lots while their owners are eating inside.
Grocery store trips are the same thing, lots of empty diesels idling. Any remote work site has basically every diesel idling while their owners are away from the truck working.
I sort of get it, they are harder to start at colder temps due to the nature of the fuel and the heat needed for combustion.
I can't see all the idling helping the argument of better fuel economy for the diesel options either. Especially in very cold climates.

nickw

Adventurer
The same kinda guys telling you a gas jobby is better than a diesel are the same guys telling you a Grand Seiko is better than a rolex because it keeps just as accurate time for less price.

Pick and choose your passions my friends. I am a diesel loving rolex enthusiast and there is no substitute for diesel in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fixed it for ya...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94