Diesel vs Gasoline

nickw

Adventurer
Most people also haven't done an honest calculation of FUEL COST.
Yes, you'll typically use less fuel with a diesel engine versus a gasoline engine.
But for 47 of 50 states in the US, diesel fuel cost has averaged 23% more than gasoline over the last ten years.

Use 25% less fuel that costs 23% more at the pump... how long will it take to recuperate the initial option cost premium to diesel? Could take years, even more than a decade. That's if you're honest with calculations.

You buy diesel for POWER, and nothing else (and only because the manufacturers generally choose not to offer powerful gasoline engines where they offer diesels)
Gotta factor in DEF too....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Most people also haven't done an honest calculation of FUEL COST.
Yes, you'll typically use less fuel with a diesel engine versus a gasoline engine.
But for 47 of 50 states in the US, diesel fuel cost has averaged 23% more than gasoline over the last ten years.

Use 25% less fuel that costs 23% more at the pump... how long will it take to recuperate the initial option cost premium to diesel? Could take years, even more than a decade. That's if you're honest with calculations.

You buy diesel for POWER, and nothing else (and only because the manufacturers generally choose not to offer powerful gasoline engines where they offer diesels)
Except Ford could see the writing on the wall and has the new 7.3. GM has big V8’s too. Add the new tech with low rpm grunt and its hard to make that jump.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Except Ford could see the writing on the wall and has the new 7.5. GM has big V8’s too. Add the new tech with low rpm grunt and its hard to make that jump.

Ford's new 7.3L is a winner. Basically a GM LS engine copy blown up to 120% scale... and that's a good thing

GM's old 8.1L is still around, now being sold as a PSI 8.8L via 4.50" stroke. That engine is used in IC school buses and makes 548 lb-ft at 1,800 rpm, and more than 500 lb-ft from only 1,000 rpm. I don't think GM will bring it back, but I've seen those rumors circulate.

Escalade will get a supercharged V8 with the new bodystyle. The emissions-compliant 6.2L LT5 (2.65L TVS supercharger) makes 715 lb-ft and will bolt directly to the 2020 HD's 6.6L gasser... no reason it couldn't make an emissions-compliant 700 lb-ft on the relaxed 6.6L and still have a full warranty if GM chose to offer it. But given the demand for diesel at $10K upcharge, why would they? Brodozers gonna bro

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ford's new 7.3L is a winner. Basically a GM LS engine copy blown up to 120% scale... and that's a good thing

GM's old 8.1L is still around, now being sold as a PSI 8.8L via 4.50" stroke. That engine is used in IC school buses and makes 548 lb-ft at 1,800 rpm, and more than 500 lb-ft from only 1,000 rpm. I don't think GM will bring it back, but I've seen those rumors circulate.

Escalade will get a supercharged V8 with the new bodystyle. The emissions-compliant 6.2L LT5 (2.65L TVS supercharger) makes 715 lb-ft and will bolt directly to the 2020 HD's 6.6L gasser... no reason it couldn't make an emissions-compliant 700 lb-ft on the relaxed 6.6L and still have a full warranty if GM chose to offer it. But given the demand for diesel at $10K upcharge, why would they? Brodozers gonna bro
True makes you wonder tho. All the Auto companies are moving to limit their exposure to bad Auto loans. The shift to cash kick backs for paying cash instead of doing a 0% loan is a big deal. The banks and analysts have been looking at Auto loan debts that are sky high and see it as a big big potential disaster. Add the credit debt people are carrying now and its being discussed on many levels now. You can say the writing is on the wall.

The Bro Dozer trucks are as common as honda accords where I grew up. I have family there still.
The Bro Dozer guys I know spend $1000’s on trucks they paid zero $ for they basically rent them till they wreck them. Then spend years in debt paying on a vehicle they don’t even have anymore. LOL. American finance knowledge is horrible.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This was posted today on truckcampermagazine.com.

A real world 1 year review from a person who changed from diesel powered albeit older 6.0 Ford F350 4WD crew cab to a new gas powered Ford F350 crew cab 4WD for hauling/traveling with their Lance camper, their thought process as to why to make the change and their review of this decision to go with a gas powered truck now that they have many miles and 1 year of time under their belt with the new 6.2 litre gas powered truck.

Something to consider!

Well I've ridden in a F-350,6.2 ,4wd ,315's,with a contractor rack,rtt,315's, decent high rpm power. Nice setup aside from the 8.2 average mileage on 3/4 of a tank. The load was a fraction of a slide in.
I've got a 2007 Cummins 5.9,gobs of power and averages in town/freeway 13.5-14.0 mpg. My popup weighs 2# wet and I've got 35's. This will be my last diesel.

nickw

Adventurer
It's probably just a matter of time before we see a Big Block ecoboost or at least some of the turbo tech work it's way up into the HD large displacement gas engine platforms. I guess you could argue whats the point when the current gas engines do just fine.....

I remember back in the day the Chevy 366 and Ford 361 (I think) were slapped into the medium duty trucks, those things had like 200-300 hp and less than 400 ft-lbs and they were hauling around dump trucks and school buses just fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It's probably just a matter of time before we see a Big Block ecoboost or at least some of the turbo tech work it's way up into the HD large displacement gas engine platforms. I guess you could argue whats the point when the current gas engines do just fine.....

I remember back in the day the Chevy 366 and Ford 361 (I think) were slapped into the medium duty trucks, those things had like 200-300 hp and less than 400 ft-lbs and they were hauling around dump trucks and school buses just fine.
Mileage
displacement in gas engines and new tech go right too mileage under load.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The same kinda guys telling you a gas jobby is better than a diesel are the same guys telling you a timex is better than a rolex because it keeps more accurate time.

Pick and choose your passions my friends. I am a diesel loving rolex enthusiast and there is no substitute for diesel in my opinion.

OK, I think Nathan has nailed it, and we're all on the same page. Diesel is the overlanding equivalent of expensive jewelry. :oops:

SOneThreeCoupe

My 2.8L diesel ZR2 has about 390 miles off-road range, as measured in the Anza Borrego desert this last weekend. That was everything from 60mph+ wash blasts to fully-locked obstacle climbing in collapsed sections of canyon. My on-road range is 500+ miles. These numbers will likely change when I switch to 33s, and the advantage may diminish.

A gasser ZR2, Tacoma, JKU/JLU just doesn't have that kind of range. I don't need to bring fuel when other trucks have to bring fuel, meaning I have more payload, more room in my bed and a lower cG. That's the real reason why I chose diesel (also, the PO ate the cost without passing it on to me).

One real reason to dislike diesels: they are heavy. My truck is 200lbs heavier than a gasser, with the majority of that on the nose and contributing to pitch. The gas version of my truck is far more sprightly, and lands better after a jump or carrying too much speed off a ledge. Even with a winch, the gasser is lighter in the nose. Mine has both the diesel and a winch, and I've scraped my nose more than anywhere else.

Another real reason to dislike newer diesels sold in the US: Mexico still hasn't converted to ULSD. I'm sixty miles from the border and would have to run a 40gal aux tank to make Baja travel doable.

Even if I hadn't bought a slightly used truck, the cost of the diesel engine option and the cost of diesel were immaterial to the choice.

There are pluses and minuses to both. The last thing any community needs is pointless Balkanization.

billiebob

My 2.8L diesel ZR2 has about 390 miles off-road range, as measured in the Anza Borrego desert this last weekend. That was everything from 60mph+ wash blasts to fully-locked obstacle climbing in collapsed sections of canyon. My on-road range is 500+ miles. These numbers will likely change when I switch to 33s, and the advantage may diminish.

A gasser ZR2, Tacoma, JKU/JLU just doesn't have that kind of range. I don't need to bring fuel when other trucks have to bring fuel, meaning I have more payload, more room in my bed and a lower cG. That's the real reason why I chose diesel (also, the PO ate the cost without passing it on to me).

One real reason to dislike diesels: they are heavy. My truck is 200lbs heavier than a gasser, with the majority of that on the nose and contributing to pitch. The gas version of my truck is far more sprightly, and lands better after a jump or carrying too much speed off a ledge. Even with a winch, the gasser is lighter in the nose. Mine has both the diesel and a winch, and I've scraped my nose more than anywhere else.

Another real reason to dislike newer diesels sold in the US: Mexico still hasn't converted to ULSD. I'm sixty miles from the border and would have to run a 40gal aux tank to make Baja travel doable.

Even if I hadn't bought a slightly used truck, the cost of the diesel engine option and the cost of diesel were immaterial to the choice.

There are pluses and minuses to both. The last thing any community needs is pointless Balkanization.
I agree with this, the smaller diesels might be a good buy. But the 3/4 ton truck diesels are all about towing 20K #. Thats a lot of wasted capacity in an overlander.

CampStewart

Observer

So if your diesel engine weighs 200lbs more than a gasser but because it gets better gas mileage it has more payload? Can you explain the math? I am aware that gas weighs 8.4 lbs per gallon and diesel weighs 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94