DIFERENTIAL problems

LUISJG

Explorer
the bearing on my cherokee chrysler 8.25 rear diff were changed because of noice,, when they took them out they were shot,, so got replaced, 2 days ago.
now im getting some bas sounds ,,damm. maybe they left a pair of pliers in there.
it sucks. should of done it myself....

S

Scenic WonderRunner

On the Bright Side..........!

You may come out of this with a new pair of Pliers!:wings:

smbisig

Adventurer
LUISJG said:
the bearing on my cherokee chrysler 8.25 rear diff were changed because of noice,, when they took them out they were shot,, so got replaced, 2 days ago.
now im getting some bas sounds ,,damm. maybe they left a pair of pliers in there.
it sucks. should of done it myself....

pull the cover. the tech may not have re installed the cross shaft retaining pin. the noise that you may be hearing is the long cross shaft being grounded by the pinion and ring gear.

another cause could be that the adjuster nuts weren't set properly and your bearing preload and backlash isnt correct which can cause nasty sounds as well.

just a couple of cause that come to mind.

steven

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Get under the truck right now before you drive it again and see if the pinion is loose and wobbling around. Might have to put the in neutral to get the load off the drive shaft. If you can't turn it a little it has tension on it.

The Pinion nut on many axles is considered a 1 time use item. If they pulled the pinion to inspect the bearings there is a chance they half assed the job and reused the nut and it loosed up on you.

If you find this is the problem then tighten it to about 140lbft and see if the noise is gone. No noise then go get a new nut and tighten it to about 160-170lbft (its new it will take more to turn then a used one) and call it good.

Now before you all freak out...yes you should adjust that nut with spinning preload BUT to do that you have to pull the axles out. If the set up was good 140lbft should keep it plenty tight but not crush the "crush sleeve" any more then it already is. It generally takes about 200-250lbft to effect the crush sleeve.

LUISJG

Explorer
WELL after reading all this I think they did a crap job, .

im getting also vidration at high speed wich i didnt have before this repair

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior