Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

rayra

Expedition Leader
So I got it put back together. Fired it up and it had a terrible tick, I took it around the block and parked it back in the drive and the tick had stopped I let it run for a good 30 minutes like that while I picked up my tools with no tick and oil pressure around 38lbs. I took it for a longer drive and it wouldn't hold oil pressure at idle (5lbs~) but at any over idle it would be around 38lbs....

here is what I think I goofed on I pulled the pickup tube from the pump and slid the O-ring off to make sure it was still pliable which it was...I think I should have replaced it, either that or I forgot to tighten the bolt back up..
yeah if you didn't replace that red o-ring on the pickup tube you aren't going to get much pressure at all at idle.* Even that new pump just wont suck hard enough to overcome the gap, at idle. As you've seen, you'll get good pressure at higher rpms.
Tell me you didn't leave the o-ring off altogether?

somewhere in the deep recesses of my Hey Vortec Guys topic I've got pics of that tube & ring

*great news, GM considers single-digit oil pressure on vortecs to be 'in spec'

eta
I really need to put an index on that 50pg topic

They were $8ea at the dealer, some sort of greasy sythetic, not rubber

oiloring.jpg

TahoeGaskets07.jpg

Overlandtowater

nope I didn't leave it off the first time, yes I reused it but I made sure it was still pliable but yes I be leave it was sucking air, mine had a green O-ring, the new oil pump can with two black ones a skinny and fat...the timing cover gasket set came with three different ones, black skinny, red fat and green fat. I went back with the green one after installing the new timing chain set and oil pump. I got it back together last night just have to button up a few things and put oil and coolant in and then I will have replaced every gasket except the head gaskets and the valley pan gasket, new belts, hoses, spark plugs, thermostat. Now after all that work I hope the engine don't decide its tired and kicks the bucket.

Overlandtowater

got it all back together and fired it up.....knock-knock-knock shut if off...… disconnected the plug for the coils.... pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it over for about 3 minutes or so, reconnected everything and she fired up and purred like a kitten no knocks, smooth idle...blah blah.....

so with this oil-pump it idles at about 50-55lbs....running down the highway at 55mph it runs about 65lbs. The exhaust sounds different only thing I can figure is the timing chain slack may of had the timing off a little the old chain was about 1/2" to 3/4" inch longer than the new one I don't know if that is even possible but it does sound different, I put new sparkplugs in it too.

Changed the rear brake pads they were all but gone, I'm talking paper thin pads....now the rear brakes are dragging. I will get the front brake pads changed as soon as I get the correct torx bit to loosen the caliper but the pads look new as far as thickness...I cant remember if I changed them right after buying the truck or not.

Overlandtowater

pulled every thing back apart sprayed every thing down with brake cleaner regreased the pins and the nubs for the pads turns out I forgot to grease one of the pins...all is good now I drove it for an hour last night and every thing looks good no leaks not ticks no dragging brakes....my speedo is 3mph off at 65....oil pressure idles at 45 and at 60 on the interstate, everything sounds so much better engine is quieter under the hood and the exhaust sounds super smooth now I know I keep coming back to the exhaust but its strange.... I can really feel the weight of the 10ply tires.….hoping to get a few more long drives in before I head west to the overland expo just to be sure.

also I have photos to go with all the these post I just keep forgetting to grab my SD card...I will update each post with pictures when I remember.

rayra

Expedition Leader
nope I didn't leave it off the first time, yes I reused it but I made sure it was still pliable but yes I be leave it was sucking air, mine had a green O-ring, the new oil pump can with two black ones a skinny and fat...the timing cover gasket set came with three different ones, black skinny, red fat and green fat. I went back with the green one after installing the new timing chain set and oil pump. I got it back together last night just have to button up a few things and put oil and coolant in and then I will have replaced every gasket except the head gaskets and the valley pan gasket, new belts, hoses, spark plugs, thermostat. Now after all that work I hope the engine don't decide its tired and kicks the bucket.
shhhh dont jinx it. I've had a valley pan and intake gaskets laying around for months, pretty sure the cover is leaking at the rear, as well as the oil sender. Didn't change them when I was messing with the intake and knock sensors a couple years ago and the drips are getting annoying. Changed valve cover, oil pan, the oil cooler port on the bottom side of the block above the pan, still coming from the back top somewhere.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Changed the rear brake pads they were all but gone, I'm talking paper thin pads....now the rear brakes are dragging. I will get the front brake pads changed as soon as I get the correct torx bit to loosen the caliper but the pads look new as far as thickness...I cant remember if I changed them right after buying the truck or not.
can't remember the size offhand, it's pretty big. I got the replacement hex-headed bolts from rockler, after I busted those torx bolts loose I replaced them. S-canned those torx bolts. They (torx) were a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

I've been driving it as much as possible just to try and work the bugs out before my trip, and found the lower radiator hose leaking due to reusing the old spring clamp easy cheap fix. No good pics of the sub yet but here it is.DSCF1401.JPGDSCF1402.JPGDSCF1403.JPG

Overlandtowater

Trying out the new tablet for photos and for navigating the forums I have some learning to do.

First off the toolroll I just picked up holds 18 wrenches on the back, 4 large zippered pockets, and one very large but shallow pocket.20200211_173034.jpg20200211_173028.jpg20200211_172954.jpg20200211_172940.jpg

Overlandtowater

I also picked up some amber lense covers for my ditch lights, the design flattens the pattern to work as fog lights. I think they would work better with flood beams instead of spots. I did have to modifying the covers with a torch to fit tight on the lights. They are for 3" cubes and mine are smaller.
20200211_172545.jpg20200211_172625.jpg20200211_172635.jpg20200211_172655.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz