Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

yeah I'm going to tear into it tonight and see what up...I hope a pin is stuck or something easy like that I hate bleeding brakes....

Overlandtowater

looks like new calipers and hoses are in the need.....I was looking at brake line lengths and if the 1500 Silverado has the same fittings the line is almost 4" longer which will help my droop. I figure I will replace all three rubber lines and both calipers, the pads are new already so.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
looks like new calipers and hoses are in the need.....I was looking at brake line lengths and if the 1500 Silverado has the same fittings the line is almost 4" longer which will help my droop. I figure I will replace all three rubber lines and both calipers, the pads are new already so.

dirtdobberoffroad,

Are you replacing all calipers or just the rears? If you have time to kill I would go to 2007 brackets/calipers up front, more stopping power and never have to deal with the torx55 bolt again.

Russell speed bleeders

Russell Speed bleeders, link above, make bleeding easier and better if you do it by yourself. If you have an air compressor I also run a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder attached to the Russel Speed bleeders, both together save time and money.

Good luck!

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've got a cleaned up set of stock front calipers and pads sitting around boxed up, cheap. Takeoffs from my own Sub. I can take some pics if you are interested.

But seconding the GMT900 upgrade for the fronts, they bolt right on, nice improvement for the money.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've got some pics from the inner side on the fronts, I think they'll work with 16s. Lot of room there. But my spacers make it look like even more. Just starting 6-7 days of rain, here, I'll try to get some good brake / rim clearance pics in the near future.

Overlandtowater

Ok I brought home a bunch of brake parts today, the biggest thing I wanted to figure out was the compatibility between the suburban and the Silverado rear center rubber line.. the fitting sizes are the same as expected but the tabs that fit in the bracket are clocked differently. Should be as easy as bending the brackets the opposite direction. If the cross piece between the frame was a single layer I would just 20200318_180406.jpg20200318_180441.jpg20200318_180500.jpg20200318_180711.jpg20200318_180708.jpg20200318_180714.jpg

Overlandtowater

ok the engineer that decided to put the dadgum connection between the hard and soft lines above the spare tire mount is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok enough rant...got it all put back together except the bracket for the above line...I would have been better off just cutting a new grove for the line and not bending it all backwards, I don't know what I was thinking, doing so put the bolt hole on the wrong side of the pin notch and puts the brake line in the way of the bolt to tighten it up. And now Im noticed the same connections has a bad leak...…...ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG......oh well guess I will have the chance to bend the bracket back the way it originally was and put a notch in the line where it needs to be....live and learn....

Overlandtowater

Well took it on a trip yesterday.. on some county roads and forest service roads. If it had not been for gaia I wouldn't have known the roads where public. With all the recent rain there was many creek crossings and I actually got my wife out on the trails. FB_IMG_1584904987198.jpgFB_IMG_1584904973213.jpgFB_IMG_1584904962941.jpgFB_IMG_1584904933962.jpgFB_IMG_1584904914219.jpgFB_IMG_1584904910386.jpgFB_IMG_1584904904559.jpgFB_IMG_1584904846229.jpgFB_IMG_1584904835455.jpg

Overlandtowater

So at the falls it appeared everyone from the city was socially distancing to the country so we drove over to the ozark trail side of the falls and through the deepest water crossing yet. Just over the bumpers when entering and exiting but just to the bottom of the doors, then we drove back to Klepzig again and had it all to our selves. I even got to get a little fly fishing in. And found the elk again. FB_IMG_1584904808952.jpgFB_IMG_1584904802090.jpgFB_IMG_1584904790893.jpgFB_IMG_1584904786881.jpgFB_IMG_1584904746958.jpgFB_IMG_1584904763461.jpgFB_IMG_1584904768941.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
well you know where to get some groceries if this lockdown goes long.

weird that GM has different length central brake lines, they're so notoriously cheap in mass production I would have expected them all to be the same size.
Good to know as I noticed that line was taught on your vehicle at full droop because I'd accidentally done the same thing the first time I had my rear suspension apart. Despite being (what I thought was) fully loose, I still had trouble getting the second spring in. then I notice the central line was holding it all up. Frankly surprised mine didn't tear.

Overlandtowater

so if you do replace with the Silverado line pull the bracket and notch it where it needs to be that's what I ended up doing after bending it back a couple of times just trying to figure it out.

And groceries I have no problem getting those off the land....I just need to start a paper mill now I guess.

Overlandtowater

I didn't think about it till now but I bet the H2 brake line was longer and a direct replacement.
nope it appears to be 3/8" by 7/16" female to female... If you could find a male to female 3/8" on both ends about 6" long you could just add an extension to the original line.

The H3's run two center lines female to female appear to be 3/8" by 3/8".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior