Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

really not a whole lot of paste in the bottom, I wiped it out with 3 or 4 paper towels. As far as the hole the worst part is I had a semi mud flat right there just for the purpose of protecting the condenser...… on the hotrod report what do you think about the quick 1-2 shift? I think its half as long as it was.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

So I used that Seafoam spray stuff its amazing how that stuff makes a difference.... while out aggressively driving like it says to I noticed it now barks the tires in second when it didn't before....kind of crazy but maybe its the warm roads now I don't know. I will have to get a video of it before I tear the trans up...LOL. Just kidding it will only bark second if I have the tow/haul button on. But the seafoam did make a difference.

Overlandtowater

Well hit a road block on the build for a little bit.... The wife is making a trip to northern Cali. I got to get her van up to snuff before she goes. I guess it will just be maintenance stuff on the Sub for a little while. I would like to make it to Rendezvous in the Ozarks in Arkansas this Oct. but looks like I'm not going to have the truck don't before then. Really I would like to get the drawer system in the back done, the tires, bumpers and sliders done before going on any trails.

Overlandtowater

Ok so either I'm dumb or the guys/gals at the part store are. I need to replace what I would call the outer axle bearing, they keep trying t sell me a wheel bearing/unit bearing I even had one guy crawl under the truck with me and I showed him where it was...no luck so Im looking on rock auto and well I a can see why the confusion...has any one replaced that bearing and whats it called? I don't have the bearing out yet so I cannot measure the od and id of the axle.

Also has any one ever replace your bright lights with Hella 100w? I assume I would need to install the heavy duty headlight harness.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You talking about the front wheel hub / bearing that the splined end of the CV / half axle goes thru, or the bearing on the rear axle shaft?

Overlandtowater

That flange has play (even with the CV installed) and a slight leak. The noise I talked about in earlier post is being caused by this bearing mainly only in 4wd or Auto 4wd in 2wd it has some noise but not near as noticeable.

rayra

Expedition Leader
late-80s I rebuilt the quadrajet, did a proper tuneup and put a shift kit in my father's '73 Firebird Formula 400/400 (posi rear end, too) and was giddily romping around town in it. Then on a left turn light I got on it too much and at that chirp I lost traction altogether and swapped ends in the turn and went up a corner gas station driveway backwards. Settled my ******** right down.

Overlandtowater

Rayra, yeah I know I shouldn't do it. In my teens I put dual exhaust on a little '92 ford ranger I had and the first thing my Dad said was it won't take long to blow it up now. (from wanting to hear the pipes)...I showed him that ranger had 330k when I sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles