Overlandtowater’s solid axle suburban

Overlandtowater

We have it so good in Missouri when it comes to gun laws. But that is something to keep in mind while traveling.....now i have to start over with a longer drawer system...lol

rayra

Expedition Leader
We have it so good in Missouri when it comes to gun laws. But that is something to keep in mind while traveling.....now i have to start over with a longer drawer system...lol
;)
54" to the foot well back of the 2nd row seats. Even with the small 'breadbox' storage at the front end of my drawer modules, I can still fit my Garand and bolt rifles in the drawer. Lengthwise, anyway. Got too much crap in both drawers now to fit more than one bagged rifle at a time.

Overlandtowater

Cant believe I got pulled out by a jeep twice. One was a very tight hill between trees that the Cherokee barely fit through soft sand and i was worried about my body panels. I slid sideways and got above the tree with no way to back out i believe i could have aired down and through my x bulls under it and got out but it was easier to just put some weight on the front tires with the jeep, second I slid off in a ditch on its side and the falken at3ws didn't have a chance in this creek bottom mudn xbulls didnt work either too much air pressure and too much mud slicked the tires over. Yes it was a impromptu wheeling in the farm. Yes bad decisions where made, yes thats a chain (we where on a farm), trail damage did occur to the sub, i need a fire extinguisher for piece of mind .20200524_153250.jpg20200524_153234.jpg20200524_150338.jpg20200524_150336.jpg

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

20200525_094436.jpg20200525_094406.jpg Not too bad, the bumper is going to be removed anyways most of the dent will be removed also. Only thing i know now I've got to make the rear bumper wider too keep things off the panel in front of the taillight out of harm's way.

Overlandtowater

Ok the falken a/t at3ws are not for mud i wish i would have taken pictures dragslicks come to mind. Even with gracious amounts of RPM the mud wouldn't fling out. At that point i smashed the valance under the front bumper. Like i said before if i would have aired down it may have helped in the mud and the sand I got stuck in. Although I did make it up that sand hill the second time, I used momentum and that allowed me to bounce off a small tree that graciously directed me over when the front bumper touched it. In the mud my x-bulls were no good i could never get weight on them (no shovel, thats something else that needs to go on the list) and the tread was too packed with mud to pull the boards under. Even with spinning tires and cramming them into the ruts not as bad as I expected. The traction board's were bent into a u shape and was pack with mud. A couple of slightly melted nubs and a bent rib.20200525_095730.jpg20200525_095736.jpg20200525_095748.jpg20200525_095809.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like a big open field with a ditch thru it. What were you trying to do, when you got near that ditch?
How on earth did you wind up parallel to the ditch in the first place? wander into it, or trying too shallow an approach angle to crossing it. You get one wheel stuck and then accidentally get the other same side wheel down into it? (you were screwed then). I might have tried a long travel distance nad easing up out of it. Did you wind up high centered lengthwise on the edge of the ditch?

/would have been the perfect opportunity for my just-completed winch solution

Overlandtowater

So yes a big field with drainage cut through it. Yes to shallow of an approach bad thing is I'd already been through it in the same spot a few times before that this was the last group of boys on a ride in the jeep I was playing tailgunner. This was a church memorial day party and this was on the family's farm. The church takes a bunch of 17-21 year old boys that have been kicked out of every school they've went to been in and out of trouble with Leo's and really gas no where to go but up. They get an GED and a work ethic by the time they leave, they work them in the watermelon fields, cotton gin, and chicken houses. They get afew Holliday's off and to have fun, the trail ride and fishing pond was a big hit. Most of the boys come from the inner cities in California and have never seen places like this. It fun watching them go from hating this place and situation to sitting on the porch and looking at the hills just chilling and loving it. Most of them had never held a fishing pole and everyone caught a few fish.

Overlandtowater

I got parallel in the ditch when the locker engaged and the passenger front was in the hole the jeep made on the previous trip around it was nice to get the burb out on a piece of property and test it out to see what can be improved and what other junk i need.

Overlandtowater

Got one of her book cases glued up and started work on my project. Got the to glued top the ribs, taped off the glue joints and painted the inside with some grey enamel i had around the house. I picked up some cheap rustoleum bed liner to paint the outside with. Im debating whether i should paint the whole thing with the grey and then cover the outside with the bed liner. Anyone use the bed liner directly on the wood? 20200525_204342.jpg20200525_204302.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I don't think the bedliner will stick well, but I don't know for sure. Depends more on the bedliner product I think.
But I'm sure some epoxy paint a la Rustoleum's 'Hammered Finish' paints would do well. But fair warning, if you are not installing metal drawer slides and are relying on drawers that will rub on the finish, DON'T use the epoxy. It's friction level is pretty high and it takes forever to really cure. Put the drawers in too soon and they are just going to stick really hard.

Overlandtowater

I picked up some 100lb drawer slides the same as in my utility bed after 170k miles half of which was on dirt and gravel I only have one drawer that te slides have come apart. The grey paint is rust tough for applying on bare metal it just states enamel we use it at work on gas pipes and meters.

rayra

Expedition Leader
When I saw cut pieces in the back of you Sub it brought this board member's vehicle to mind

P2272814.jpg

Overlandtowater

The more i look. I drove oner two hours today even ran some gravel at 70mph felt the same as always. Im pulling it, the whole thing. Should let me hit the stops a little faster....lol.20200526_191940.jpg20200526_191659.jpg

Overlandtowater

Appears i need to buy some wheel spacers, maybe just spin the shock bolt around and let it self clearance. Funny thing is i went both directions on the course and the ditches but only the driver side tire rubbed. Do you think the rear axle is pushe toward the passenger side because the panhard is to short with the amount of lift i have?20200526_194516.jpg20200526_194526.jpg20200526_194531.jpg20200526_194547.jpg20200526_194552.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz