Dirtmobile - A KTM 990 Build

Mechanical

Adventurer
looks like a money-maker to me. ;)

Yeah, I think you are right. I don't see many people in the US making these things for stock KTM racks. I may have to get in the business. Of course I figure this out right when KTM discontinues the 990. :p

RHINO

Expedition Leader
dude! thats a great use of hydro clamps.

on the bolts, easy solution would be swap them out for some countersunk allen or philips head units(like what you have on the top plate)

Last edited:

Mechanical

Adventurer
dude! thats a great use of hydro clamps.

on the bolts, easy solution would be swap them out for some countersunk allen or philips head units(like what you have on the top plate)

I think that is a good solution. I'll just have to order some bolts. Thanks for the comment on the clamps. I was able to test the racks for about 50 mild gravel miles, and they seem very solid. I want to test them a little more, but I think this setup should be a good, long-term solution.

Last edited:

Willman

You got skills Will...Your shop looks killer too.

Nice way to pack your fuel. Wonder if you could hang your bags off that....

Cody1771

Explorer
damn if i had an *** like that i'd put a fence around it and a head of cattle! i think it's almost as wide as my Vstrom with OEM bags :p haha. looks good man! i love that idea

Mechanical

Adventurer
damn if i had an *** like that i'd put a fence around it and a head of cattle! i think it's almost as wide as my Vstrom with OEM bags :p haha. looks good man! i love that idea

It's wide. In fact, too wide to go straight through the posts keeping ATVs off of the single track sections in Rabbit Valley. We nailed one of them pretty hard with the left bag. This prompted my girlfriend to yell, "WIDE LOAD!" at me whenever we came within 10 feet of any potential route-altering obstacle.

I'm wading through the 30 gigs of video and pictures from the trip. I'll try to get them sorted into a ride report.

Here's a short video from the beginning of Seven Mile Rim. Really fun riding, amazing scenery. Should be available in HD.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Very Awesome. I was waiting on you to crash or something. Haha.

Your front end seemed really stable in the sand. I suspect the steering dampener was doing its job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mechanical

Adventurer
It definitely helps, especially in sand and large loose rocks.

I'll try to get the Seven Mile Rim video spliced together. I was constantly waiting on the truck to catch up, so the video is made up of about 50 two minute clips. It'll probably be the most annoying motorcycle video ever made by man.

Here's a link to our RR for those who are interested: http://bit.ly/ZlmrA0

Mechanical

Adventurer
I had the good intention of only doing a simple oil change this evening. In the span of a few hours the bike has gone from completely assembled to:

this
20130502175039.jpg

which led to this
20130502170452.jpg

which led to this
20130503180858.jpg

which led to this
20130503183418.jpg

I think my girlfriend's comment was along the lines of:
[video=youtube;FONN-0uoTHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]

Needless to say, I won't be riding this weekend... and the oil still isn't changed. :coffee:

Last edited:

tacogrande

I went with the .66kg springs from slavens...really helped the front end a lot! I know that the valving primarily controls the dive under heavy braking, but the springs did far more than any comp/rebound adjustments did. You've got an awesome build going man!

Mechanical

Adventurer
I went with the .66kg springs from slavens...really helped the front end a lot! I know that the valving primarily controls the dive under heavy braking, but the springs did far more than any comp/rebound adjustments did. You've got an awesome build going man!

Thanks! I'm putting SPS .64 springs in to start with. Did you use higher viscosity fork oil after you installed your new springs?

Sweet build!!

What county is 7?

Thanks! 7 is beautiful Goshen County (Torrington, Lingle area).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles