disabling ABS on 95 SR

xped

Adventurer
I would like to put in a switch to disable the ABS when offroad as I have found this to be more of a safety hazzard than help. I have searched 4x4wire and only found info on Toyota's, has anyone done this? I can't be the only one who has found the ABS to be a nuisance. I have found that in mud or snow the abs kicks on pretty much making me have no brakes and has caused me almost to wreck my truck. I just went wheeling yesterday and was doing a steep decent and once again the abs sinced wheel lock and caused me to go flying down a very steep hill.

ABS removal

I disabled it by removing the entire system. It blew a seal and was gonna cost too much to repair, the cheaper option was to ditch it and drive it like we used to before we knew what ABS was
I

xped

Adventurer
I'd like to leave it intact, just have a switch to disable it. My foot has abs built in, my wifes does not.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
it's supposed to turn off on it's own when you shift into 4wd and tart driving. You can just unplugg it or wire in a switch, it won't be hard to do.

nckwltn

Explorer
sometimes my ABS turns off when in 4Low, but other times it doesn't. I would like a switch as well. thinking about it in the past, I was thinking about doing something to disable the abs relay with a switch.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Might cause headaches since the ABS system has self diagnostics, it might not like having the power cut to any component, it's likely to throw the ABS check light which would disable the system. Not sure if it would reset itself after you turn it back on, sometimes you need a scanner to reset it.

plh

Explorer
Might cause headaches since the ABS system has self diagnostics, it might not like having the power cut to any component, it's likely to throw the ABS check light which would disable the system. Not sure if it would reset itself after you turn it back on, sometimes you need a scanner to reset it.

'95 isn't OBD2 - I'd be surprised if turning it off screws things up too much. '96 and forward - OBD2 ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior