Disadvantages of towing an expedition caravan?

jk6661

Observer
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think here is as good as anywhere.

What are the disadvantages of towing something like a Mountain Trail Campers caravan (https://mountaintrailcampers.com.au/lxv-5-7-tandem-caravan/) compared to driving something like an EarthCruiser? Goal is to spend a couple of year touring Africa and Asia. The most "off-roading" we plan to do is dirt roads, forest-service-type roads, maybe a couple of shallow stream crossings, etc. -- no challenging trails or rock crawling. It seems like a caravan offers better value (cheaper for the space/amenities provided) and flexibility (you can leave it somewhere and drive the tow vehicle around, plus you can sell just the caravan when you're done and still have a daily driver). Assume that the tow vehicle would be properly sized and equipped.

jk6661

Observer
I can't offer any advice, but that is a very nice caravan. Much nicer than any I have found here in the states at that size.

Yes, for some reason Australia seems to have a lock on the upscale off-road caravan market. There are a lot of options from there, not so many from other places.

java

Expedition Leader
The Australian and South African guys seem to do the trailers, on some gnarly stuff too. They make some nice units as well. I would look long and hard at the Kimberly's IMO.

That being said, don't get the trailer stuck, its infinitely harder to get unstuck. Don't ask how I know. And don't go down roads you don't know go though, turning a larger (even small!) trailer around on single track dirt is not fun. Also set up, trailers need to be set up at each camp vs a truck/van/rv you just fall into the back of. They also seem to bounce around more which means your stuff gets bounced around more. I did the trailer thing (21' and a little DIY off road one) sold them both.

My truck is by no means small and nimble, but backing it out of a crap road that dead ended is much much more doable. I have done multiple miles in reverse.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste