Disco II locking differential

haven

Expedition Leader
Is the center locking differential present on 2003 Discovery II models? I thought it was available in the 2004 models only.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the center locking differential in the Discovery II (1999-2004)

"The locking centre differential was still fitted until early 2001, although the linkage to operate it was not attached, as Land Rover believed that the traction control and newly-developed Hill Descent Control would render it redundant. The actual locking mechanism was removed in early 2001, before being fully reinstated (with linkage) when the face-lifted model arrived in 2003."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Discovery

Perhaps the re-introduction of the center locking differential in USA was delayed until 2004.

Chip Haven

KevinNY

Adventurer
The '03 does not even have the nipple on the transfer case to actuate it, you have to swap cases.

KevinNY

Adventurer
Lucky8 distributes that linkage in the US for a very good price and simply finding a complete LT230 with the nipple and swapping it is not too costly.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm of the impression that my 2004 changes modes on the traction control when the diff is locked. Is that true? And then, what would happen with a 2003?

KevinNY

Adventurer
Your traction control just doesn't kick in nearly as much with the center diff locked. ( I used to own and wheel an '04)

michaelgroves

Explorer
I'm of the impression that my 2004 changes modes on the traction control when the diff is locked. Is that true? And then, what would happen with a 2003?

I don't think traction control systems need any modification when diff-locks are added (centre or axle). All the ETC does is to detect differences between the rotational speeds of each of the wheels, and if the differences are not within a certain range etc., the ETC applies the brake to the faster wheel(s). With one or more diffs locked, there will be less (or no) difference in the speeds, so, while the ETC analysis will still take place, the braking will be activated less (or not at all).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I don't think traction control systems need any modification when diff-locks are added (centre or axle). All the ETC does is to detect differences between the rotational speeds of each of the wheels, and if the differences are not within a certain range etc., the ETC applies the brake to the faster wheel(s). With one or more diffs locked, there will be less (or no) difference in the speeds, so, while the ETC analysis will still take place, the braking will be activated less (or not at all).
Very very well put and exactly what I was thinking. Those WITHOUT locking devices axle or C.Diff will see more brake application adn driveline thrash as the front and rear drivelines and all 4 wheels exprience different speeds and traction scenarios... Now imagine the computer having to calculate that versus if everything is mechanicaly locked together and turning exactly the same everywhere, wheels, diff's, T-case etc.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke