Disco trans dipstick?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My sister-in-law has an 02 DiscoII and no owners manual. She doesn't know where the transmission dipstick is. Anyone care to enlighten us? Thanks...

And while I have your attention where are the likely places for engine oil to leak in the front part of the engine. It is wet everywhere starting at the front and blowin' backwards from there. One rocker cover seems a bit wet, but not enough to soak the bottom of the motor like it is. Again, ta!

mongosd2

Adventurer
there is no transmission dipstick on a 02 D2...oil leak could several things, crankshaft main seal, oil cooler lines, oil filter, front cover

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks for the reply. You have to check it like a manual then? ie; from underneath? As to the oil leak, just wondered if there was a list of usual places that leak... Or is that what you gave me?:elkgrin:

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the reply. You have to check it like a manual then? ie; from underneath? As to the oil leak, just wondered if there was a list of usual places that leak... Or is that what you gave me?:elkgrin:

You check it running in neutral. There is a small brass fill plug on the side.
Yes he gave you the best places to look for the leak.

Wander

Expedition Leader
If you google " Land Rover Discovery II RAVE manual it will pull up a site that has the shop manual in PDF form. I think the site is LRReasource.net or similar, I can't remember it but a google search will find it.

If fluid is low there should be a light on the dash to let you know there is a problem. You need a code reader to get the codes. As bad as the leak sounds from your description I'm thinking its the front seal and may be a bad sign, good luck!

thospb

Observer
A very common leak is the Valve Covers. Usually, just tightening the outer Valve Cover bolts will help a lot. You'll need a 12 point 8mm, wrench or socket.

What about an oil leak at the back of the engine. Valve cover, possible. Can oil leak from the head gasket back there? Anything else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior