Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

codemunky

View attachment 402303

Australian now living in Los Angeles, 2005 HSE, 5 seat with HD and cold weather options. Had it for 3 months and it just clicked over 100000 miles today. Currently the only mods are 18" with 275/65 K02s. Dual battery and compressor will be installed in the next few weeks. Then lots more mods planned.

Picture is from the top of Santiago Peak in the Cleveland National Forest.

Sweet mate! Do you have any rubbing with those size tires? Thanks!

TOUGE

Sweet mate! Do you have any rubbing with those size tires? Thanks!

Only a little at full compression on the wheel well plastic this is at offroad hight. At street hight there is a tiny bit of rubbing on the on the front side of the rear wheel wheels where there is a raised bit of plastic, I just heat gunned it and pushed it in. If you read other threads though it seems hit or miss if you get heap of rubbing or not.

Dude, I don’t know what hack you have working on that rig but the amount of stuff you’ve had replaced and or worked on is pretty much the entire vehicle. The thing is we never really get follow up as to what is the problem with all of your breakdowns and what exact fix as a result.

The last AC and power steering thing still baffles me and not sure what the repair was???

I think I remember you saying you bought it from a dealer. There is probably a lemon law involved. New cars are three known trips for the same issue and used cars with a warranty have some other things to meet the criteria. Regardless, whomever is working on that thing is either a complete hack or we are not getting the full story on repairs.

In my 9 years of LR ownership, I’ve never seen another LR3 in the shop with as many repairs as yours and still not run. Something just doesn’t jive.

Have you bought a GAP tool yet? The tool will tell you just about everything electrical and most mechanical if it’s wired to the ECUs.

Sorry for the rant! Good luck, post us a follow up in your own build thread so we can keep track of your progress.

Picture of the rig with the hood up only helps with a problem and system(s) posted with it. Otherwise, it’s just another breakdown with zero substance behind it.

Cheers!

shauniscndn

Adventurer
A67C60B3-E2EC-401D-AE4F-ADEB70FA7031.jpg

2005 LR3 4.4 v8 hse
187,000 kms
Just getting to know it now bought yesterday

Need a school lesson on it lol

Over from Full size, Yota & yes even jeep camp

So far its my fav rig to date

View attachment 422779

Gamester - seems we have similar tatses Ktm 1090adv R

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dude, I don't know what hack you have working on that rig but the amount of stuff you've had replaced and or worked on is pretty much the entire vehicle. The thing is we never really get follow up as to what is the problem with all of your breakdowns and what exact fix as a result.

The last AC and power steering thing still baffles me and not sure what the repair was???

I think I remember you saying you bought it from a dealer. There is probably a lemon law involved. New cars are three known trips for the same issue and used cars with a warranty have some other things to meet the criteria. Regardless, whomever is working on that thing is either a complete hack or we are not getting the full story on repairs.

In my 9 years of LR ownership, I've never seen another LR3 in the shop with as many repairs as yours and still not run. Something just doesn't jive.

Have you bought a GAP tool yet? The tool will tell you just about everything electrical and most mechanical if it's wired to the ECUs.

Sorry for the rant! Good luck, post us a follow up in your own build thread so we can keep track of your progress.

Picture of the rig with the hood up only helps with a problem and system(s) posted with it. Otherwise, it's just another breakdown with zero substance behind it.

Cheers!

The truck is all fixed up by the dealer. Ended up being about 4 grand of work. Thank you aftermarket warranty... The AC compressor locked up and took out most everything that has a pulley. The fan came apart in the action and took out radiator too. Its all fixed up now. I just fell into it at the wrong time, but the truck is good to go now. If I can I still will probably sell it soon. Thinking about going to Subaru Outback route. I do have a GAP tool, but hardly ever use it as I find the interface to be a pain in the ***. I deleted the thread about the truck a while ago.

Last edited:

TheTrailWhale

Bump

2014 LR4 black package with Landmark wheels. Future plans are the usual; bumpers, armor, 18" wheels, etc... Hopefully one day it'll replace my FJ Cruiser as a family exploration rig. Although, it doesn't have the HD package with 2-speed transfercase or rear locker. I haven't had a chance to test the Disco traction control system to see how well it works but I hope this isn't a setback with the wheeling I have intended.

aRrEGoq.jpg

QzcUk18.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Bump

2014 LR4 black package with Landmark wheels. Future plans are the usual; bumpers, armor, 18" wheels, etc... Hopefully one day it'll replace my FJ Cruiser as a family exploration rig. Although, it doesn't have the HD package with 2-speed transfercase or rear locker. I haven't had a chance to test the Disco traction control system to see how well it works but I hope this isn't a setback with the wheeling I have intended.

Beautiful truck.
I will continue my constant refrain; the vast (VAST) majority of users in the vast majority of applications will never need a rear locker. Your truck doesn't have high and low range?

Out of the box, particularly with decent tires, these machines are incredibly capable offroad vehicles. Especially for what most would want to do exploring with their family. You won't even stress the truck's capabilities.
r-
Ray

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Can agree on a rear locker as I ran open diff Scouts for years on difficult trails. Where I disagree is on a 2 speed transfer case. Loaded for a camping trip on a back country mountain trail a single speed LR4 would slowly roast the transmission. In other situations the increase in speed required to keep the truck moving would be a safety issue as control is sacrificed for momentum. If all your buying is a vehicle for mild forest service roads and snow, get a AWD vehicle. If you plan on inter-mountain west trips leave the single speed LR4 home.

just_MWB cruiser

Too funny TOUGE ... i also just moved to CA (Orange County) in nov 2016 from Australia and also bought a gray 2005 LR3! Not HD. Mods so far are just lift rods, Toyo open country rubber, front runner roof rack and jerry can mount, blacked out wheels and modified ugly bling bumper.

Touweep point Grand Canyon day after buying

IMG_9048.jpg

Modifying bumper

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Beautiful utah

IMG_1443.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I personally like the law enforcement bull bar bumper look. Let's be honest, if it was that PoS LR plastic pillar do-dad, would it really serve a purpose? Who makes it? I am considering using something like that on the aluminum bumper design I am working on. This type bullbar would bolt to the steel winch mount under the aluminum bumper. Getting one off the shelf might be a good option.

Oh, and welcome to the states, great looking Rover! Im in Oceanside, Ca about 30 min south!

Exeter

Awesome vehicles in here and fun videos!

I'm looking to buy a side vehicle strictly for overlanding and exploring (no technical rock crawling). LR3 has piqued my interest as an 05 - 07 seems to be extremely affordable to pick up and still keep my daily driver. Anything that I should look out for on LR3's in the 05 - 07 year range with 150k miles? Anything to stay away from or avoid or watch for at that age/mileage?

Ray_G

Explorer
Awesome vehicles in here and fun videos!

I'm looking to buy a side vehicle strictly for overlanding and exploring (no technical rock crawling). LR3 has piqued my interest as an 05 - 07 seems to be extremely affordable to pick up and still keep my daily driver. Anything that I should look out for on LR3's in the 05 - 07 year range with 150k miles? Anything to stay away from or avoid or watch for at that age/mileage?

No.

Maintenance history, maintenance history, and maintenance history. Some will say the 05's had teething problems; evidence of that is not as widespread as the notion is. These are fantastic platforms (like any vehicle, if maintained).
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke