Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

Lemagus

Fantastic! Where’d you get the cool wrap(?)?

LRD3 HSE 06
220000km
Еlectric Winch Tunsten 12000
Adjustable height pulls +5cm
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain 255/75r17
Protection for the entire bottom
Snorkel
U-POL Raptor & aerography

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rpearce1475

Hello all! I just purchased a 2014 LR4, extremely well maintained, only 45,000 miles, never been off road, fully loaded Lux with the HD package. Needless to say I'm super excited about it. I'm coming out of a mildly built Toyota 4Runner that was very capable off road but a total dog on road. This vehicle will be my daily driver, mostly highway miles with most of the offroading being Southern California forest service roads. No trails more advanced than something like Berdoo Canyon in Joshua Tree or Burns Canyon up to Big Bear if any of you know those trails/roads. I've already purchased a set of 18'' wheels (Dakar Zeroes) and am searching for a set of tires that will do great on the highway in all weather conditions while being ''good enough'' for my occasional off pavement foray. I've read this entire thread and others on other sites and will be going with the 265/60r18 size for a number of reasons. Planning to stick with XL rating tires as I don't want to lose all the peppiness and fuel mileage I gained with this car from the 4Runner and I feel E rating is excessive for the rare off roading I'll do. Two years or so down the road this vehicle will become a weekend/offroad rig and I'll likely run a larger tire in load E then, but for now looking to keep the tires more in line with my current expected use. Much research has identified a few contenders but top three are, in no real order:

1) Nitto Terra Grappler G2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
2) Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
3) Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating

Can anyone chime in on these three tires, why you'd go with one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Can anyone chime in on these three tires, why you'd go with one over the other? Thanks in advance.

I only have experience with Nitto Terra Grapplers and I do NOT recommend them. I've had a set of four for about 4 years or so and I have more plugs in them than I count. In my opinion, they are great on road and too soft for any forest or rocky roads. My use in Hawaii proved they were a tire I would never buy again. Again, my opinion only!

Ryan...

2) Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating
3) Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60r18 XL/114 load rating

Congrats on the new vehicle!

I also highly recommend you avoid the Terra Grappler. They're great tires if you're looking for a quiet AT tire with the grip of an all season. Mine did OK on loose sand/light mud on our only local trails, but they're downright dangerous in snowy conditions.

Many of my friends/family run the Wildpeaks on their trucks and Jeeps, nothing but glowing reviews. I have the Dynapro on my daily driven Grand Cherokee and they've served me very well, but I can't really attest to their off road capabilities.

rpearce1475

Thanks! I went with the Wildpeaks. They're actually a 6 ply tire despite the XL rating (as Falken apparently constructs their tires a bit differently). First off road forays are this weekend, I'll be sure to take some pics!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
After my LR3 was destroyed by a high driver, this is me new 2012 LR4. Only option it has is the HD Package! Did 4 days offroad in the Sierras on some technical trails and not a single code thrown!!! I think there may be something wrong.....

All the stuff from my LR4 moved over except new Evo Corse DakkarZero wheels.

View attachment 542979
great looking truck. I love how clean the factory front looks. Compared to the Bull Bar on my truck.

Slowpoke

Good Afternoon,

Picked up a new to me Black & Tan LR4. She was babied by her previous owners as an on-road only wagon. Got all the various weather, comfort, and vision packages, but no HD. Including the center console cooler. However, the original headphones are long since gone (might eBay a set for shiggles). It’s my first Land Rover. Coming from a well lifted/modified JKU Rubicon. Just found I wasn’t rock crawling any more. And, wanted something with a bit more comfort. It will be my daily driver for as long as possible. sticking with off road, and not as much off trail.

Intentions are to turn her into a light trail rig in the following order;

1) GAP BT diagnostic, ordering next week.
2) underbelly protection; saw a few options, need to research.
3) find a full size 19” wheel for a spare. Research says it should fit, right?
4) new tires. Swapping out the street tires for some more dirt friendly options.
5) roof rails. Unfortunately, mine came without - scouring the eBay for some. Can’t decide between long or short.
6) debating a set of seat covers. At a minimum for the rear as I’ve got a growing puppy that will be having regular rides. wondering if they hinder the heated seats much.

That’ll be a start before I move on to the more purpose upgrades in the long term.
7) Johnson rods. Leaning towards the 1.5 vice the 2.5. Thoughts?
8) CompMotive 18” wheels. I just really like them. & tires, probably 32”s
9) ARB compressor and locking rear diff (yes, mine is without - however, I did find a base 2013 LR4 with the HD package in SoCal if anyone is looking).
10) front bumper protection. Thinking ARB or similar. but would really love something simple and clean.
11) roof rack.

Does anyone have the in-truck rack that fits between the back two “ohh ********” handles? I’m having a hard time figuring out who makes those (or even what to search). And, how does it affect the 3rd row passengers?

ohh, and I’m trying to find a quality cell phone mount solution. Had a great Ram Mount setup on my Jeep. It, that involved drilling into the dash. Not doing that on the Rover.

I’m sure 90% of the above is covered in various threads and I’m comfortable using my google-****. But, I welcome any advice or pointers. I’m moderately mechanically inclined and will be able to do some of the routine stuff. I’ve also been researching LR shops down here in San Diego.

Scott

Last edited:

Lemagus

“ohh, and I’m trying to find a quality cell phone mount solution. Had a great Ram Mount setup on my Jeep. It, that involved drilling into the dash. Not doing that on the Rover.”

ProClip

wildorange

Observer
“ohh, and I’m trying to find a quality cell phone mount solution. Had a great Ram Mount setup on my Jeep. It, that involved drilling into the dash. Not doing that on the Rover.”

ProClip

I too are a staunch anti drill in my Rover however I’ve used the RAM mount windscreen sucker for ages, never had an issue.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My RAM mount is attached behind the facing of the radio plate and no screwing was involved. Solid and looks great holding the battery monitor and phone. Just have to pull off the plate and expose the screws to the radio mount.

Slowpoke

My RAM mount is attached behind the facing of the radio plate and no screwing was involved. Solid and looks great holding the battery monitor and phone. Just have to pull off the plate and expose the screws to the radio mount.

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted behind the radio face? I’ve got a plethora of RAM mount parts from my Jeep install and I do like a quality RAM mount.

I‘ve been looking at those. Do you have any pictures of It installed? The stock photos on the proclip site are a bit lacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne