Ditch crossing

Alloy

Was out hiking some old FSR roads and found some sites that haven't been use in a few years.
Looks like all that has gone in there is a snowmobile as there some blowdown and 2-3yo Brich growing on the road.

Will have to get a truck an 35' trailer across 2 ditches. Departure angle on the trailer will be the issue.

I've done ditch fills with logs. Wondering if there's a method that uses less logs/save time.

billiebob

Ditch fill is fine, but do you remove the logs or leave them blocking the watershed ?
What about just building a bridge, 4 logs tied together.

jadmt

ignore button user
how wide and how deep are the ditches? what kind of trailer? too many unknowns to even begin to give an answer.

Alloy

Didn't want to get into detail / specifics.

I'm looking for time saving methods. One method was to use shorter 1'-2' pcs to fill the bottom and then 1-2 layer of 6'-10' pcs on the top.

jadmt

ignore button user
just jump it Dukes of hazzard style....If you can't give details that is the best advice I can give. Get your speed up and hit it straight on. I used to ride motorcycles for a living, so yes jumping is your fastest, easiest way

billiebob

2 logs parrellel to the ditch at the top of the bank
2 pairs of logs over them, lashed in pairs, spaced to match the vehicle track
Done and permanent without blocking the ditch.

If you are in the coast mountains there should be plenty of big wood.
I can't find any photos but we have built a few that way.

old .45

Observer
This is why I have aluminum bridging ladders, they have always worked for me so far.... have not found a ditch too wide the ladders don't help when crossing, if I do... well a different solution has to be entertained then. That being said careful crossing at an angle can also work sometimes depending on your vehicles approach and departure angles... lots of variables:)

FJR Colorado

Explorer
just jump it Dukes of hazzard style....If you can't give details that is the best advice I can give. Get your speed up and hit it straight on. I used to ride motorcycles for a living, so yes jumping is your fastest, easiest way

I heard you were a good ol' boy. Never meanin' no harm.

billiebob

or, build a real bridge

DSCN2356.jpeg
Didn't want to get into detail / specifics.

I'm looking for time saving methods. One method was to use shorter 1'-2' pcs to fill the bottom and then 1-2 layer of 6'-10' pcs on the top.
This is my industry and when we find a blocked ditch one of the first things we do is decommission the road if it was one of ours or we make that road impassible with a few massive boulders.

Filling a ditch with logs creates environmental disasters in the bush. You are blocking a waterway which is also illegal but if your BLM guy or Forester or.... finds the blockage they notify and often fine the resource company operating in the area. And one more road is closed to us.

Protecting watersheds and erosion control are 2 of the biggest factors logging companies manage.

Tread Lightly.

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
Since the OP is experienced in this type of thing having done it before and is keeping every relevant detail a secret I suggest he bring about 20k lbs of structural steel, a Lincoln ranger welder, and a set of cutting torches and build a proper bridge. Otherwise I second the suggestion to hit it full speed and hang on tight

Alloy

or, build a real bridge

This is my industry and when we find a blocked ditch one of the first things we do is decommission the road if it was one of ours or we make that road impassible with a few massive boulders.

Filling a ditch with logs creates environmental disasters in the bush. You are blocking a waterway which is also illegal but if your BLM guy or Forester or.... finds the blockage they notify and often fine the resource company operating in the area. And one more road is closed to us.

Protecting watersheds and erosion control are 2 of the biggest factors logging companies manage.

Tread Lightly.

The ditches won't be left filled in.

rgallant

Adventurer
Logs work, and seeing your in my general area there is generally enough material to create a temp bridge. I have found the clean up after takes more time, by the time you pull the material you put in and clear up the dirt that enviably goes in.

But are you talking cross ditches or decommission ditches and or wash outs. Decommission ditches are pretty much have fun, all the ones I have seen are very serious and would take a significant days work to cross. Cross ditches are mostly drivable, but pretty easy to temp fill if required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier