DIY 8020 Pop-up Topper Build (2014 GMC Sierra 1500)

MikeBabs

Hi all!

I have started the process of building a pop up topper for my truck and thought I'd share the progress.

I will be videoing my progress on YouTube but I don't think I can post the links here so I'll just be posting written updates with photos.

My truck is a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 and since it doesn't have the payload to accommodate a slide in camper, I decided to build a pop-up topper to stay under the GVWR.

Since I don't have the space or equipment to weld Aluminum, I decided to use 8020 Extruded Aluminum. Well, it's a different brand of Extruded Aluminum sold by Faztek here in Canada.

The camper will be a little heavier due to the extruded aluminum, but designing was a lot easier thanks to 2 free programs 8020 provides.

I used 8020's frame builder to design the camper as well as 8020's deflection calculator to calculated the weight loading.

Attached is an image of my design.

I have the Extruded Aluminum on order and should be here in a few weeks. In the mean time I'll be finishing up some planning.

If you have any questions or comments as I go, I'll do my best to address them!

Thanks!
Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220530-210818_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220530-210818_Gmail.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220530-210853_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220530-210853_Gmail.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 62
I think that’s a great concept/project, albeit pricey. But that’s the “cost” of not using traditional welding methods/skills, skills I certainly don’t possess. I first saw, as did many in the audience, 80/20 being used in Bryon Bass’ E350 back at an OEX in Amado AZ (Might have been Mormon Lake, don’t recall exactly). You could hear the buzz in the group as people began murmuring about different projects they could now complete. Good luck with the build, I’ll be following. ?

ITTOG

Hi all!

I have started the process of building a pop up topper for my truck and thought I'd share the progress.

I will be videoing my progress on YouTube but I don't think I can post the links here so I'll just be posting written updates with photos.

My truck is a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 and since it doesn't have the payload to accommodate a slide in camper, I decided to build a pop-up topper to stay under the GVWR.

Since I don't have the space or equipment to weld Aluminum, I decided to use 8020 Extruded Aluminum. Well, it's a different brand of Extruded Aluminum sold by Faztek here in Canada.

The camper will be a little heavier due to the extruded aluminum, but designing was a lot easier thanks to 2 free programs 8020 provides.

I used 8020's frame builder to design the camper as well as 8020's deflection calculator to calculated the weight loading.

Attached is an image of my design.

I have the Extruded Aluminum on order and should be here in a few weeks. In the mean time I'll be finishing up some planning.

If you have any questions or comments as I go, I'll do my best to address them!

Thanks!
Mike
Are you going to have your bed hang over the end of the truck bed? Asking given you have that part hanging down where traditionally it replaces the tailgate.

MikeBabs

I think that’s a great concept/project, albeit pricey. But that’s the “cost” of not using traditional welding methods/skills, skills I certainly don’t possess. I first saw, as did many in the audience, 80/20 being used in Bryon Bass’ E350 back at an OEX in Amado AZ (Might have been Mormon Lake, don’t recall exactly). You could hear the buzz in the group as people began murmuring about different projects they could now complete. Good luck with the build, I’ll be following. ?
I have never worked with 8020 before so I'm looking forward to this build. I found a Canadian company that offers an off brand that's significantly cheaper, so that really helped in the final decision.

MikeBabs

Are you going to have your bed hang over the end of the truck bed? Asking given you have that part hanging down where traditionally it replaces the tailgate.
That part that comes down is actually at the front of the truck bed, then the cab over is over the cab like normal. I am a bit concerned about the weight of the topper with people in it deforming the truck bed so I have that part coming down to transfer a bunch of the load down to the truck bed, rather than the frame rails.... At least, that's in theory what's supposed to happen lol.

WanderingBison

I have never worked with 8020 before so I'm looking forward to this build. I found a Canadian company that offers an off brand that's significantly cheaper, so that really helped in the final decision.

Would you mind sharing that Canadian supplier? Might be a great option for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeBabs

Would you mind sharing that Canadian supplier? Might be a great option for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
www.fazstore.ca it's by far the cheapest. However they told me they would ship my order in 7-10 days (including weekends) and we are on day 14. Getting a hold of them has been pretty hit and miss.

In Western Canada, you can get 8020 from rocy mountain motion out of Chilliwack (I believe) but that's the most expensive option. I first started designing with vention.io but came to realise that they only offered specific cut lengths and were also kind of pricy. These are the only 3 Canadian options I. Have foud for 8020 style extruded aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne