DIY 90L Fridge Slide

ShamusTX

Observer
I recently purchased a National Luna 90L fridge.
IMG_6814.JPG

I looked at getting a ready made slide, but the mounting to the trailer was not compatible width wise. So I ended up having to Build my own. The first task was to find some slides. One of the requirements was it needed to be 36". The fridge is 32" and I needed another 4" to clear the rear door so the fridge could open all the way. After a bunch of researching slides I decided to use the following

I liked these as instead of lifting the handle to release the locking mechanism to open or close the slides, these you pull the handle to open and push the handle to close.

I began by designing the slide to be as low as possible to the bed and still clear the tail gate of the trailer. This would give the maximum height possible for the lid to open and not impact the door of the trailer.
IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

I am using 3"x2" 3/16" Aluminum for the slide mounts and the trail support. Tray cross members are 2"x1" 1/8" Al and 1/8" Al Diamond plate.

IMG_6817.jpg
IMG_6818.jpg

ShamusTX

Observer
I added a solid bar across the two slides to make a handle to open and close the slides. I had to do a little finessing to get the unlocking mechanism working smoothly. I had to make sure and not put any binding pressure on the Slide tabs.
IMG_6820.jpg

Dry run before painting

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

The only thing I need to work on was the handle was too close to the cross member. This prevented my fingers from wrapping around the bar. But I had plenty of space between the bar and the tail gate so I would fix this during painting.

ShamusTX

Observer
After painting and came final assembly. I wish I could of powder coated it, but lost access to a sand blaster and large oven. So primed and painted instead

IMG_6823.JPG

I added hoops in the rear of the slide to use for tie down straps and slots in the front as space was tight.
IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

I fixed the handle by adding an extension. Now I have plenty of room to grip the handle and open the slide. When closed the slide clears the tailgate. OPening can be done with one hand or two. The bar is 1" solid Al bar stock. I went with this as I originally did not plan on adding the extensions and the 1" bar fit the Slide locking tabs perfectly. BUt since I added the extensions I could of used a smaller bar stock. Closing can be done by bumping the handle and walking forward if my hands are full.

wquek

You can also screw these into the floor to help hold down the fridge with your tie down straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94