DIY Discada "Skottle" Cooker $65.00

DzlToy

Explorer
^^ Made in Japan, usually food grade stainless or other high quality materials, not $10 Chinese throw-away rubbish.

I have quite a bit of Snow Peak gear and have never had a single issue with any of it. I will have most, if not all of it, for the rest of my life. It ALWAYS pays to buy QUALITY products. Not what is popular on facey-gram or what is "cool" or expensive, top notch gear.

There is a reason that a $300 Skottle is $300 and not $25 or $65. That is the same reason that a 20 year old Toyota truck or hand crafted olive oil cost more than a 20 year old S-10 or crap grocery store olive oil for $3 per bottle. You get what you pay for, end of story.

luk4mud

Explorer
^^ Glad you are enjoying your Skottle and Snow Peak. They both make very fine equipment, no question. There is a place in the market for Coleman as well. For gear that I use, at best, 45 days a year and my life does not depend upon, Coleman quality is usually more than good enough.

I am a minimalist that usually buys middle-of-the-road quality gear. It's fine if you prefer better quality than that. I'll be happy to come to your garage sale and take a few high quality things off your hands.:)

reaper229

i think GUNANDGEARNETWORK just want to share his DIY skottle wich i always enjoy to see some DIY"ers.I am glad to see this because i wanted something collasptable and slim fit in the jku to replace my big propane stove.I will do this easy skottle,i will sew my own storage bag for it.The real skottle is pricey for sure but looks like a "fashion wave" on this stove at the end you just wanna cook your foods lol!...better spend 300$ on vehicule or more important gear like first aid kit ect...

Envoyé de mon RCT6K03W13 en utilisant Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
^^ Made in Japan, usually food grade stainless or other high quality materials, not $10 Chinese throw-away rubbish.

I have quite a bit of Snow Peak gear and have never had a single issue with any of it. I will have most, if not all of it, for the rest of my life. It ALWAYS pays to buy QUALITY products. Not what is popular on facey-gram or what is "cool" or expensive, top notch gear.

There is a reason that a $300 Skottle is $300 and not $25 or $65. That is the same reason that a 20 year old Toyota truck or hand crafted olive oil cost more than a 20 year old S-10 or crap grocery store olive oil for $3 per bottle. You get what you pay for, end of story.

Holy crap, it's as if every stereotype about "overlanding" was rolled into one post. ROFL

I'd offer to let you use my grandfather's Coleman two burner stove that I have but seeing as it was made in the 1950s by some Americans I'm sure it's just not up to your standards. Maybe my 1980s Coleman Peak 1 single burner or the two burner I also purchased sometime in the '80s, both of which have been dragged all over the place and abused starting in Boy Scouts? Nah, that just won't do either. Never mind the old cookware I've got or that obviously junky 1950s no-name knife that I still like to use because it reminds me of camping trips when I was a kid in the early '70s. You'd probably have a heart attack if I posted a picture of the 1974 VW Beetle I used to drive some crazy places and all but live out of after I graduated college and was spending all of my off time in the mountains climbing, camping and mountain biking.

Snow Peak makes exception gear, no doubt about it, and I'm a huge Toyota fan having bought my first FJ-40 in the 80s, but you absolutely do not need most of the expensive crap that folks on this board buy in order to get out and enjoy yourself. A trip outdoors, especially in other countries, will show you that folks manage to get by just fine, in much worse conditions, with much less gear then probably ninety something percent of the ridiculously overbuilt "overlanding rigs" on this forum, will ever see.

Gunsandgearntwork thank you very much for posting that video. I've been thinking about building something similar from a disc but this looks like an easier route to go. (y) I'm checking out your other videos now too.

DzlToy

Explorer
I haven't spent a day of my life "overlanding". I have however, been recreating outdoors my entire life. I am glad to see that you are still using old Coleman gear; I have a stove and two lanterns that are 40+ years old. Classic gear made in the USA, is getting harder and harder to come by thanks to the populace's disposable lifestyle and the Insta-Face overlanding community. In the absence of having or finding that gear, I choose to purchase quality gear from great companies that will last a lifetime. That strategy has never failed me and I don't expect it to.

Expensive crap is the problem, quality gear that will last a lifetime, is not. With the gear that I have, I can camp out of the back of a Honda Civic just as easily as I can go back packing for 4 days or go "overlanding" with you in your FJ-40.

Apologies to the OP for the derailment.

Last edited:

gunsandgearnetwork

Holy crap, it's as if every stereotype about "overlanding" was rolled into one post. ROFL

I'd offer to let you use my grandfather's Coleman two burner stove that I have but seeing as it was made in the 1950s by some Americans I'm sure it's just not up to your standards. Maybe my 1980s Coleman Peak 1 single burner or the two burner I also purchased sometime in the '80s, both of which have been dragged all over the place and abused starting in Boy Scouts? Nah, that just won't do either. Never mind the old cookware I've got or that obviously junky 1950s no-name knife that I still like to use because it reminds me of camping trips when I was a kid in the early '70s. You'd probably have a heart attack if I posted a picture of the 1974 VW Beetle I used to drive some crazy places and all but live out of after I graduated college and was spending all of my off time in the mountains climbing, camping and mountain biking.

Snow Peak makes exception gear, no doubt about it, and I'm a huge Toyota fan having bought my first FJ-40 in the 80s, but you absolutely do not need most of the expensive crap that folks on this board buy in order to get out and enjoy yourself. A trip outdoors, especially in other countries, will show you that folks manage to get by just fine, in much worse conditions, with much less gear then probably ninety something percent of the ridiculously overbuilt "overlanding rigs" on this forum, will ever see.

Gunsandgearntwork thank you very much for posting that video. I've been thinking about building something similar from a disc but this looks like an easier route to go. (y) I'm checking out your other videos now too.

You are welcome I am glad you liked the DIY. I agree 100% that people can get by without spending a small fortune on items. I do get the appeal of some of the gear that is out including the Skottle but for me, I have to see the value in an item. I like doing DIY projects and like passing on DIY projects I have done. I have quite a few different things I have posted such as DIY ax and shovel mounts, ARB awning mounts, etc.

gunsandgearnetwork

If you want one better hurry up and order. I think the company has discontinued them. They are no longer offered on their website and others that sold it is showing sold out.

robert

Expedition Leader
I haven't spent a day of my life "overlanding". I have however, been recreating outdoors my entire life. I am glad to see that you are still using old Coleman gear; I have a stove and two lanterns that are 40+ years old. Classic gear made in the USA, is getting harder and harder to come by thanks to the populace's disposable lifestyle and the Insta-Face overlanding community. In the absence of having or finding that gear, I choose to purchase quality gear from great companies that will last a lifetime. That strategy has never failed me and I don't expect it to.

Expensive crap is the problem, quality gear that will last a lifetime, is not. With the gear that I have, I can camp out of the back of a Honda Civic just as easily as I can go back packing for 4 days or go "overlanding" with you in your FJ-40.

Apologies to the OP for the derailment.

Perhaps I read your post wrong, if so I apologize, but it came across as sanctimonious- something that seems to have become far more common on ExPo in the last couple of years. I don't think any of us would begrudge anyone for not only buying quality gear, but supporting companies who support our chosen hobbies. On the other hand I have seen on other forums where folks were turned off by some of the attitudes on ExPo. Usually it's folks who don't have as much disposable income or have no need for so-called expedition rated gear when all they need is some recommendations for gear to take their families car camping. For them an Ozark Trail tent and stove may be all they need to get the kids outdoors for a couple of summertime weekends a year.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having the best gear on the market- I have a couple of Snow Peak items (cookware, mugs and a spork) and the stove that lives in the back of my Tacoma (and accompanies me on hiking trips these days) is a Jetboil, but lots of folks utilize far less expensive, even cheap, gear and still accomplish the same thing. Living in SE Asia for a while I used a lot of Chinese gear and honestly, it worked just fine for all intents and purposes. I wouldn't have taken it mountaineering or on a round the world trip, but for our uses if say a stove had crapped out it wasn't the end of the world. I gifted my $10 Chinese butane stove and lantern to a buddy when I left; I'm sure he's passed them on to some young person just getting into 4wd trips in the jungles and on the balloon chase crews.

Point being, if we want to encourage folks to join this hobby then we need to appeal to folks who ride KLRs as much as those who who drive Earthroamers.

WhatTheZo

I've been eyeing the bayou wok on amazon exactly for this reason. Well done!
Great DIY!

I use mine both at home and while camping. I either use a my backpacking stove or throw the thing on my propane fire pit. I've made pizza, Vietnamese short ribs, dolsas, pancakes, pork chops, flat breads, french fries among many things. Since I use it a lot, it's getting pretty well seasoned. (Note: the picture of the pizza attached being finished on a grill, but I was doing an assembly line so I assure it was mostly done on the work)
f97dad64ffb16b5d56f3b429cf20a3a0.jpg
481a3eb470750d307f72d8855fc48223.jpg
3542ac323dcf0b42433e841fc1122579.jpg
e66acbca0c7c1fa8620de9be15f41fd0.jpg
cf46306a5f537c043a7eca80d5abf890.jpg
746000b0e85c3b391a264fdafd131c1f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Great DIY!

I use mine both at home and while camping. I either use a my backpacking stove or throw the thing on my propane fire pit. I've made pizza, Vietnamese short ribs, dolsas, pancakes, pork chops, flat breads, french fries among many things. Since I use it a lot, it's getting pretty well seasoned. (Note: the picture of the pizza attached being finished on a grill, but I was doing an assembly line so I assure it was mostly done on the work)
f97dad64ffb16b5d56f3b429cf20a3a0.jpg
481a3eb470750d307f72d8855fc48223.jpg
3542ac323dcf0b42433e841fc1122579.jpg
e66acbca0c7c1fa8620de9be15f41fd0.jpg
cf46306a5f537c043a7eca80d5abf890.jpg
746000b0e85c3b391a264fdafd131c1f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Now that is so not fair, 2 hours left in the office and I'm pretty sure I burned off the salmon and quinoa I had for lunch a while ago! Do they have a cookbook for the bayou wok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior