DIY Discada "Skottle" Cooker $65.00

trae

Adventurer
Thanks to @krick3tt for inspiration. I used 1/2 conduit, the huge 3/8" nut, and all thread rod. Pretty sturdy. About $20 canadian at home depot for everything.

10' conduit gives you 3'4" legs, sink the nuts into the conduit, cut all thread rod into about 4" chunks. Now I just gotta figure out a shelf below the disc for my burner. I've been using it a bunch at home, turns out the size is super convenient for cooking; not so much for storage tho.

reaper229

Mine in action
1f188d4a0c869a7cc1f3d74ba5da5d2a.jpg
533999a2fc49a68ccb82a07295e90b09.jpg
f65ccab061e5b66afb6f3ed6137210e7.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm looking at ordering a bag to carry mine in and I think this is the bag the OP listed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L1FDJI/?coliid=I35BEF95UL7PDE&colid=16CWUH4EQF3J7&psc=1
Were you able to put any padding such as closed cell foam around the edge to protect it (and the truck bed, my fingers, etc) and have it still fit?

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to put a Coleman single burner under it since it sits on my Gas One stove or I can put it over a fire. I made legs but I need to stabilize them a bit if I decide to use them. I'm thinking three pieces of metal that will bolt onto the legs to form a a more rigid tripod. I've got plenty of scrap/drops that I can use to make something.

trae

Adventurer
My final version. I combined the two approaches I saw here:

1/16" steel cable and 3 1/4" utility springs. The springs have enough tension to hold up the burner.

Assembly is straightforward, slip the loops around the legs while screwing them in. Push the burner into the center and connect the final "open hook" (noted in the picture).

15,000 btu is not a lot but seems to work well enough.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.

1563816283834.png

assembled.png

stirfry.png

brianb2

Awesome, I love rocket stoves. Great idea. I bought one of these during their crowdfunding campaign(https://www.virestove.com) and have enjoyed using it. Never thought about putting the disc on it.

Should be a fun experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
My final version. I combined the two approaches I saw here:

1/16" steel cable and 3 1/4" utility springs. The springs have enough tension to hold up the burner.

Assembly is straightforward, slip the loops around the legs while screwing them in. Push the burner into the center and connect the final "open hook" (noted in the picture).

15,000 btu is not a lot but seems to work well enough.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.

View attachment 528640

View attachment 528643

View attachment 528644

Very clever with the springs!

SMAR

I know this is a older post but i was wondering if someone could help me out? I am in the process of building the OP Discada. I got all the stuff that he said i need from the YT channel and went i went to put it together the legs seem to be way to tall. I got the 3 sections of conduit that are 5 feet long each. Once the cooker is on top of them, it is way too tall! Am i missing something or do i just cut them? Thanks!

robert

Expedition Leader
Just cut to your preferred height.

I made some legs for mine but haven't gotten around to making a stove holder, I just put it over a fire or set it on my butane stove.

SMAR

Just cut to your preferred height.

I made some legs for mine but haven't gotten around to making a stove holder, I just put it over a fire or set it on my butane stove.
roger that. just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something! thanks!

brianb2

Does that include the disc? Seems like it’s the burner only. Good design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles