DIY EarthRoamer (sorta)... newbie questions

1000arms

How ridiculous would it be to use shiplap, coated in a clear epoxy, for the exterior of a build (with a thin, sealed plywood veneer underneath it) instead of going for a smooth fiberglass look? The idea of a camper that looks like a pirate ship sounds rad.
I think it could like quite sharp! :)

Please consider whether you want to draw attention to your camper, and your family, especially if you will be leaving the camper parked for long hikes, days of skiing, etc.

You might consider using "pirate ship" concept inside your camper (as well as possibly on the outside too).

You might enjoy looking over the following link:

You might want to look over epoxy and fiberglass:

And in case you are considering a shower inside your camper:

Last edited:

1000arms

Oh neat! I was under the impression "spray on fiberglass" was a thing? Am I totally misunderstanding how this works.

I was specifically looking at @IdaSHO's build, and it looked like he did a spray on layer of something for the exterior.
He (eventually) used Monstaliner.

ReluctantTraveler

I think it could like quite sharp! :)

Please consider whether you want to draw attention to your camper, and your family, especially if you will be leaving the camper parked for long hikes, days of skiing, etc.

You might consider using "pirate ship" concept inside your camper (as well as possibly on the outside too).

You might enjoy looking over the following link:

You might want to look over epoxy and fiberglass:

And in case you are considering a shower inside your camper:

Ah that clears a lot up! So you can epoxy without fiberglassing. Fiberglass is a technique for adding strength and uses epoxy. Do I have that right?

When people refer to "glassing" here, do they mean fiberglassing or something else?

ReluctantTraveler

He (eventually) used Monstaliner.

Neat! I'm not used to seeing bedliner that's smooth like that. It looks gorgeous (and I'd imagine is durable AF).

1000arms

Ah that clears a lot up! So you can epoxy without fiberglassing. Fiberglass is a technique for adding strength and uses epoxy. Do I have that right?

When people refer to "glassing" here, do they mean fiberglassing or something else?
The stitch and glue boatbuilding that I have mentioned makes use of epoxy as an adhesive, and to bond fiberglass fabric to the boat.

There is woven fiberglass cloth (fabric), chopped strand fiberglass mat fabric, and chopped strand fiberglass that is sprayed, but I think you should be looking at woven fiberglass fabric if you use any fiberglass.

I will suggest that you use epoxy resin (rather than polyester resin) for any fiberglassing that you do.

Glassing does refer to fiberglassing.

1000arms

Neat! I'm not used to seeing bedliner that's smooth like that. It looks gorgeous (and I'd imagine is durable).
Make sure you look deep enough in the thread, because the first link I posted was of IdaSHO's painted camper. Check out a later post showing the Monstaliner (and GacoRoof) in:

ReluctantTraveler

Make sure you look deep enough in the thread, because the first link I posted was of IdaSHO's painted camper. Check out a later post showing the Monstaliner (and GacoRoof) in:

Damn, I may go that route as well. That must be incredibly durable.

I thought I'd read somewhere that bedliner doesn't adhere well to polywood, but IdaSHO's build seems to be holding up quite well.

1000arms

You might want to order a truck to your specifications, especially with the current crazy vehicle prices for new (and used) trucks on the dealership lots. You might get much better pricing by ordering your truck.

I've marked in red some things (down below) I think you should have.

The limited slip axle with 4.88 gearing, for traction.

The snow plow kit prep for the stronger front axle springs to help support a long cabover for your king size mattress.

The snow plow prep for framework you could use to carry things in front of your vehicle.

Skid plate, cheap protection for anything under, or thrown up under, your truck.

Dual batteries for plenty of juice starting up in ski country.

307 dual alternator for charging camper batteries while driving.

Spare tire, rim, and jack from the factory.

Although you don't plan on towing at the moment, you might want to order the Trailer /Brake Controller from the factory so you will have it. Maybe you will be towing a boat at some point?

2022 Chassis Cab F-550 XL $59,035

Payment Base MSRP $51,385 Total of Options $5,855 Destination Charges $1,795 Total MSRP $59,035

Model 2022 F-550 Crew Cab 84" CA, XL, 4X4, DRW, 203", 7.3L V8 Gas Engine, Ten-Speed Automatic,

4.88 Limited Slip Axle

7.3L 2V DECVT NA PFI V8 Gas Engine 4X4 Ten-Speed Automatic
4.88 Limited Slip Axle Packages
XL Value Package $395
Power Equipment Group $1,350
Payload Plus Upgrade Package $1,155
Snow Plow Prep Package $250
Engine Block Heater $100
Skid Plates – Transfer Case $100
Dual Battery $210

Alternator – 397 Amp
Spare Tire, Wheel and Jack $350 225/70Rx19.5G BSW Traction 4x4 Tire $215
Platform Running Boards $445
Interior Medium Earth Gray, 40/20/40 Split Bench w/Center Armrest, Cupholder and Manual Lumbar Seats
Trailer Brake Controller

1000arms

Damn, I may go that route as well. That must be incredibly durable.

I thought I'd read somewhere that bedliner doesn't adhere well to polywood, but IdaSHO's build seems to be holding up quite well.
Keep in mind the GacoRoof he uses too, although, if you plan on using your roof for dining, wildlife viewing, star gazing, etc., you might want a "roof deck" to stand on, mounted a few inches above the roof. :)

Keep in mind using test pieces to get a feel for a particular construction-adhesive, epoxy, paint, bedliner, ..., before using it on your camper.

I suggest you look at the West System Epoxy I have mentioned in other posts.

You might also enjoy their EpoxyWorks website:

ReluctantTraveler

Should I be putting a slight slope into my roof, or can it be flattish if properly sealed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles