DIY Pop Up Box Camper

Kayaktime

I've begun building a pop-up box camper and am interested in opinions. I wanted a nice pop up camper that was light, and there was nothing on the market in my price range, so I designed this on Sketchup and looked into what it would take to build. Bought a TIG welder (Steep learning curve), and a friend set me up with a great deal on the aluminum.
I'm mainly not sure about the design to support the roof, it is only a concept right now, and I would like something easy to lift. The other ting I am concerned about is the door on the back. I'd like to have it like a hatch to stand under in the rain, but the idea of hinges bothers me a bit. I have no idea where to even start with the hinges.

Thanks for your insight.

Attachments

• Side.JPG
    Side.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Frontside.JPG
    Frontside.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Truck Back.JPG
    Truck Back.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Side2.JPG
    Side2.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 346

CAVE

I like where you are headed.

Some diagonal bracing of some sort would be a good idea front to back for the roof support. I'm guessing your question was more about the lifting mechanism. Maybe you can design an X style lift that will collapse nicely, while still giving you some shear. You could also use hard panels that pop into place once the roof is lifted. This would give you shear and a hard sided pop up. Some of the cheaper hard side designs kind of rattle in the wind though so you would need to have some good weather stripping and a nice tight fit.

Kayaktime

Thanks Kevin
I will definitely look into those lifting mechanisms, they seem much more compact than my original idea.

Last edited:

Kayaktime

I like where you are headed.

Some diagonal bracing of some sort would be a good idea front to back for the roof support. I'm guessing your question was more about the lifting mechanism. Maybe you can design an X style lift that will collapse nicely, while still giving you some shear. You could also use hard panels that pop into place once the roof is lifted. This would give you shear and a hard sided pop up. Some of the cheaper hard side designs kind of rattle in the wind though so you would need to have some good weather stripping and a nice tight fit.

I'm hoping to stay away from the hard panels, but definitely am worried about the shear. In my original design, I have the lifting mechanisms at the front and back, but would definitely move them to the sides, to get a bit more length in the bed. And to counter the shear, probably a couple of angled supports at the front and back...

Last edited:

Kayaktime

I've got a bit more work done, I can't say I work on it as much as I should. Just about done the base, I've got to finish the door hinges and then weld in the frame where the gasket will attach to around the door. After that it's the top and the supports for the the top. Then the fabric......

A few update pictures.
I laser cut some wood hinges to see how it would work on the door, then traced them onto some ½" aluminum plate. Yes, a bit overkill.

I had to figure out the profile and where the fulcrum would be, Sketchup made that pretty easy.

d2TaT22.jpg

This is with the lasercut jig to see if this might actually work.

WcNmba8.jpg

KkHTOXU.jpg

0zoAsmc.jpg

0T4oSab.jpg

I'm trying to see where the best position for the fulcrum will be. I'll drill the hole on the top
and bottom plates larger to allow some movement, and then use a plate with that the bolt
goes through to hold it all in place once ive got the fulcrum set properly.

V6KzXI9.jpg

This is just the back to show it closed.

1CGGu3O.jpg

A view into the box from the top.

OvOn8rc.jpg

The full outside with out the roof yet.

9iB6074.jpg

Last edited:

Kayaktime

Awesome.

I am surprised there have not been more builds of this style.

I think one reason may be how the width of traditional popup campers is nice and wide, the bed in mine is about 48" which is probably too small for some.

Kayaktime

I figured I should show some photos of the camper finished and in use. Hope you all enjoy!

Imgur Link if you don't want to log in.

First a few of the outside.

Popped up with the window closed.

The inside with the bed pulled out, the mattresses are made to double as seat cushions.

The angled bar at the end is to add some reinforcement for the forward and back movement of the lid, the fabric actually holds the lid from skewing, but I like the peace of mind of the added stability.

This is the lower portion with the bed pulled out, there is just enough room to cook up a midnight snack with the bed pulled out.

When the bed is put away, there's loads of room in the truck box for daytime cooking and relaxing when it's raining out.

This is to show the support arm and the large window zipped closed.

Kayaktime

Thanks a lot! We haven't stayed in it as much as we would like. We've also changed the way we camp as well and have tried out some van campers and have fallen in love with the way you can just stop on the side of the road for a quick meal without setting everything up. So, the next build will definitely be a van!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior