DIY Truck Camper - If you did it again

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Stresses on the camper will be no big deal if it's isolated from the frame, and can be very problematic if it isn't.

Sounds like you're plannning a slide-in? Care about insulation?

Yes it will be a slide in. I plan on insulating with foam panels where I can and will have the canvas for the pop up insulated. I have considered a wood frame instead of steel since that would be a lot less thermally conductive but I have more experience with steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rruff

Explorer
I’ve considered panels, but don’t care to make my own and the couple quotes I got were too rich for my blood.

So I guess you are planning on a steel frame with rigid foam inlaid? What will you use for interior and exterior surfaces?

Even if you have no experience, foam and FG panels are not hard to build, and have some definite advantages over other methods.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
So I guess you are planning on a steel frame with rigid foam inlaid? What will you use for interior and exterior surfaces?

Even if you have no experience, foam and FG panels are not hard to build, and have some definite advantages over other methods.

Correct. I am leaning towards 1/4 ply covered with outdoor carpet on the inside and for the exterior I will either use some VHB tape to put on aluminum or I will go with 1/4 ply and do the poor mans fiberglass. I've used the PMF method on a small teardrop before so am familiar with it and know I could get the finish I wanted with that, but I think I would like the look of Al better. I've also considered PVC on the interior.

dbhost

@dbhost thanks for your input! I’ve considered a used one and remodeling, but all the ones I have come across are too long for what I want- I have a 6.5’ bed and don’t want to have to leave the tailgate down with a camper on.

As far as insulating canvas, I plan on drawing something up and having custom insulated one made, shouldn’t be more than $400 or so from what I gather. I would think you could take the factory canvas off something and take it to a shop and ask them to either modify it or replicate it but add insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So with a 6.5 foot box, which is more or less standard on full size standard bed trucks these days, yeah, you are going to have a tight fit. Not all of them require tailgate down, but rather tailgate can be removed if you desire.

Bed space will be minimized with a closed tailgate for sure, but if you have an overcab setup that isn't that much of a problem. Just realize you will still want kitchen facilities if not a place for a toilet of some sort. It gets tight cramming it all in, but if you are creative enough, you can do it.

One thing I would NOT do in a camper build if I can manage it, is I would not use any sort of wood. No matter how hard you try, water penetration will take place, and wood rot will take a hodl of your camper. I started off thinking about using wood and am shifting toward my long term build going with an aluminum frame. Costs more, but no rot...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94