Do we really need a spare?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Looks like more than 5-10 PSI in the tires. Not a good test.

Directly from GlueTread Faqs-

-How much pressure will GlueTread patches hold?

The answer to this question is very dependent on the type of damage that the patch has repaired. In proper testing environments, GlueTread patches can hold pressure up to 40psi. This can be the expected result for minor damage like a small puncture from a sharp object like a nail.

If you are repairing a slice in the tire, the capabilities of the patch are largely dependent on the size of the puncture and how effectively the patch is applied.

For me....

Even a '5-10psi' solution for a sidewall rip that weighs less than a pound is a huge win, especially one that can take that kind of sidewall abuse. Driving at 10psi would get me a LONG ways towards help, basically unlimited mileage if I am aware that the tire is only 10psi.

This doesn't have to be the only solution that someone carries, but for the weight, it potentially solves a LOT of issues that where previously deemed 'unrepairable' by many.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
AVvXsEjqENHJmTvKFTviZ_X4ta4cKa_AhyBlEnNqcOJnHbNhW6Y2RJCRfyXnkBKayvtrhYU8BdpS2eVUA9BtER7t8u_IG4ONOpDaAgOLMTu5Bxw1YCaDtX603fgUCgFbxovATUxJdlTYz8dGsqQH9Xp_cEFjFk3nm8mOeywYgtEXjpFT7y01k-vVtaVfZZI7=s1024

It is always a small balance, between carrying what is probably required during the trip and to keep the vehicle at a weight who allows some driving fun.

Yes, we can do serious offroad stuff with a lot of weight.. But specially for those solo travellers, you have to be able to help yourself.

Would I have reached the top of the namib dunes, with an additional 2nd spare tyre? Rear spare tyre holder, rim, tire = additional around 70kg. Probably not!!

Very often I had to use my winch, because my verhicle was so heavy, that the track wasnt able to handle it. It leads to some personal conclusions.

Mods I would`nt do again for a solo internationel overlanding journey by 4x4 . And a new - much more lightweight 4x4 recovery kit.

I did a lot of overland offroad trips by rentals in laos, thailand and usa (just with tent and basic gear). It is always amazing, how far you can get with a stock and lightweight 4x4.

But yes - one spare tyre is required (for extended solo overlanding in remote areas)! Did even get a flat tyre with using MT tyres for travelling. But one in 120`000 km!

trippin

1stDeuce

Explorer

Entertaining if not fairly accurate for the "average" car owner... Plus he rips on bean counters at auto mfg's as the real issue. I couldn't agree more.

COAKXterra

These days, I carry a full-size matching spare (on a matching rim if I can… 5 wheel rotations), compressor or OBA, and a plug kit. I would love to learn more about patching but just haven’t gotten the real push yet. Depending on the situation, I may try to plug immediately or I may swap the spare on and then try to plug at camp/home. I’ve plugged tires that have run for 10k miles afterward.

But my current mindset came over the course of two trips. First was a trip up the Dalton in 2015. Had 33s touching dirt on the xterra and the stock spare (I think a 29ish?) hanging on the aftermarket bumper. Yep, I was that guy. Anyway, catch a piece of metal or something going up Atigun pass southbound and didn’t think much of it until at the chandler shelf where I could feel the softness of the deflating tire in that back corner. (TPMS light had been on since I went non-stock tire size and I never bothered to fix it.) Not a great place to stop but made it to the bottom and swapped on a non-matching spare to the front and a full-size to the back. Deflated tire had failed pretty bad by that point and wasn’t anything I could plug and we were still 250mi from Fairbanks. Ended up rolling into coldfoot and was luckily able to get some dinky WAY mismatched tire to at least have a donut spare that held air for the remaining mileage until I could get a new full-size replacement (actually 2) in Fairbanks. $50 is cheaper than a tow bill off the dalton. Now I always carry full-size matching with matching rim on that rig and try to keep rotations good so I don’t have massive swings in tread depth and wear across all 5.

Last year I took our new to us power wagon to Arizona from Alaska to get our habitat installed. While in CO, caught an old (antique!) nail on Boreas Pass on front passenger. Fall colors traffic and on the downhill/outside meant I didn’t really want to chance ruining my tire by nursing it a lot further, nor was I going to try and plug it right there. Swapped the spare, got to the cabin, tried to plug it. Didn’t hold. Tried again in the morning, still didn’t hold. Went to a tire shop and was deemed “irrepairable”. New matching tire not available on short weekend notice, so with plugs and a compressor still… drove asphalt to Phoenix and was able to get a new tire installed. On the way back to CO from Prescott and Expo, late night somewhere on a highway in north eastern AZ reservation lands, caught a piece of road debris that put me from highway pressure to basically flat in a matter of seconds. Even if I had wanted to take the time to try and plug, etc… the side of a dark remote highway is not my favorite place to do such things. Spare back on, and drove pavement to Durango where again “irrepairable” ??‍♂️ Closest new tire without delay on my part was south of Denver. So again, bad tire in hand and plugs and compressor in the tool kit… pavement (and some dirt) to get a new tire.

I’ve torn and ripped tires on my old XJ and had all sorts of trailer tire fun over the years. Now, I carry a spare for any tire group that touches dirt, just as a “glad it’s an option” move.

I guess for me, I’d rather stack some cards in my favor including gear, tools, and skill keeping in mind that I don’t want to drive around a tire repair/sales shop anymore than I want to drive around a fab shop. Like most things in life, it’s a balance of your own comfort level and I also don’t want to be a burden or rely on others to a reasonable degree.

(Caveat to that…. Organized runs I also am a huge proponent of requiring a full-size spare, regardless)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz