Do you feel the need to be unarmed and defensless while camping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lynn how would you feel if someone was trying to take away your right to free speech? Ya I know the answer but hopefully that will give understanding to how we feel.

bob280zx

Observer
Since comparisons to automobiles seem to be popular:

CNN)—A driver veered onto a crowded sidewalk several times on the Las Vegas Strip, injuring more than 30 people in what authorities described as an "intentional" act.

At least one person was killed and 37 others injured near the Paris Las Vegas Hotel on Sunday night, authorities said.
Witnesses said the woman was driving down Las Vegas Boulevard before her car jumped onto the sidewalk and started striking pedestrians.

She allegedly drove the 1996 Oldsmobile sedan with Oregon plates onto the sidewalk at different spots and hit more people before barreling down the road.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/us/las-vegas-strip-pedestrians-hit/index.html

J

JWP58

Since comparisons to automobiles seem to be popular:

CNN)—A driver veered onto a crowded sidewalk several times on the Las Vegas Strip, injuring more than 30 people in what authorities described as an "intentional" act.

At least one person was killed and 37 others injured near the Paris Las Vegas Hotel on Sunday night, authorities said.
Witnesses said the woman was driving down Las Vegas Boulevard before her car jumped onto the sidewalk and started striking pedestrians.

She allegedly drove the 1996 Oldsmobile sedan with Oregon plates onto the sidewalk at different spots and hit more people before barreling down the road.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/us/las-vegas-strip-pedestrians-hit/index.html

Whoa that's totally different man, because I drive a car. We should ban guns, because I think they are scary.

Lynnrb

Observer
Lynn how would you feel if someone was trying to take away your right to free speech? Ya I know the answer but hopefully that will give understanding to how we feel.

Trying to keep this discussion honest. Specious statements do not move it in the right direction.

Longrange308

Adventurer
A lot of this is just round and round bantering saying the same thing.. What it really boils down to is not a "gun" problem, it is a "violence" problem. Violence and violent people have always existed.

John Lott is an intelligent person by many peoples standards, and he was the one coined the phrase "An armed society is a polite society". With the reality that violent crime rate is in fact dropping, while the firearms ownership rate is increasing, he may very well be correct.

The UK and Australia have all but banned private ownership of firearms, especially those that may be used for self defense. When that happened, violent crime when through the roof. I believe home invasion robberies in Australia climbed 300% or something outrageous like that. It was all due to feel good legislation because of one mass shooting. Same thing in the UK, a mass shooting was the reason for the banning of most firearms in the UK. Their violent crime rate did not fall, it increase. Per 100k people, the UK is more violent than the US by a large margin. If I weren't at work slacking on my duties to write this post, I would cite references to back up my claims, but alas..

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
209bcceae82f6df1a712e87fb3f7af9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimbo

Explorer
A lot of this is just round and round bantering saying the same thing.. What it really boils down to is not a "gun" problem, it is a "violence" problem. Violence and violent people have always existed.

John Lott is an intelligent person by many peoples standards, and he was the one coined the phrase "An armed society is a polite society". With the reality that violent crime rate is in fact dropping, while the firearms ownership rate is increasing, he may very well be correct.

The UK and Australia have all but banned private ownership of firearms, especially those that may be used for self defense. When that happened, violent crime when through the roof. I believe home invasion robberies in Australia climbed 300% or something outrageous like that. It was all due to feel good legislation because of one mass shooting. Same thing in the UK, a mass shooting was the reason for the banning of most firearms in the UK. Their violent crime rate did not fall, it increase. Per 100k people, the UK is more violent than the US by a large margin. If I weren't at work slacking on my duties to write this post, I would cite references to back up my claims, but alas..

Gun ownership in Australia was never big before hand, the banning of particular weapons hardly impacted the majority of Australians.

Guns in them selves aren't the issue it is the attitude of them being the answer for any situation, that is the problem.

There is a problem with gun usage in the US, that can not be debated, the constant news report about large scale shootings confirm it.

And to answer the question I have never felt the need not experienced the need of having to defend myself whilst camping whether by a gun or even a harsh word

Longrange308

Adventurer
I challenge any and all of you to read this paper published by John Lott. There are data points and references for you to check if you want to as well. It is a very well thought out paper and puts the polarizing topic of gun control into easily understandable data.

http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content...d-crime-for-the-Australian-Parliament-Rev.pdf

And yes, it does talk about the gun buy-back of 1996 in Australia and the impact that had on suicides, homicides and armed robberies.

Joker

Adventurer
The comparison between vehicle legislation and gun legislation is a very poor comparison any way you look at it. At no time was anybody in the main stream media or any of the main political parties calling for an all-out ban on automobile sales or restrictions on ownership. To put it in perspective its more like; because people use vehicles to drive drunk, drive at excessive speeds, use vehicles to transport illegal drugs we are going to ban the use of privately owned vehicles and if you need to go somewhere you can take the government provided bus.

Plus if you ban cars there will be no more “Drive by Shootings” so I guess that would be a “Win Win” right?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yea and no one was ever killed by a Drunk Driver when alcohol or a vehicle wasnt present so whats you point? Do we ban everything that can cause us harm?
There's no point in arguing with someone like him. Some people just get all queer around guns for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne