Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
More Rattlesnake / Burns Loop Pics!

Here's some more pics of the run...

What a great success! Everything I have done to the truck so far worked great on the trail. Sections of this run are "medium" according to the trail leader "DennisDawg", Forest Service rated it at "most difficult". Definately alot of rocks, off camber climbs and some of the coolest wheeling I've done yet!!!

...Doc

scrmntaco

05TACODOC said:
Here's some more pics of the run...

What a great success! Everything I have done to the truck so far worked great on the trail. Sections of this run are "medium" according to the trail leader "DennisDawg", Forest Service rated it at "most difficult". Definately alot of rocks, off camber climbs and some of the coolest wheeling I've done yet!!!

...Doc

Looks like some good rocks in there, I see your sliders came in handy. Did you have any scraping on the back end that a rear bumper would have helped?

-Joe

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I managed to not drag my butt at all really. Pretty amazing in retrospect :Wow1:
This was actually a very challenging trail, and it was the first time I've really wheeled with an automatic tranny. Alot of the guys were saying the clutch was working them to death but I was takin' it easy... :ylsmoke:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
expeditionswest said:
your truck is looking awesome :clapsmile

Cant wait to see it this fall. :beer:

Thanks Scott. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! :jumping:

A note on my BFG MT 255/85R16's - With the front flaps on I had serious rub so I took them off and trimmed the bottom inside corner of the fender flare about 1 inch. I had NO RUB in the wheelwells on my last trail run, and I was stuffin' them all day!
One issue that I have to address is a a slight rub on my UCA at full lock in reverse, it only happens on one side when it happens (alternates depending on direction of turn). Jason Demello says its the backspacing on my stock rims and suggested a 1 inch wheel spacer from Spidertrax as a remedy.

Now that I have these basic mods nailed down, my next phase of this project should be electrical.
My wiring is clean and solid, but I've added about all I can without expanding I think. Dual batts and some type of junction where I can run all accessories to (with room for expansion) is needed.
Right now I have one battery with these additional non-OEM systems: Kenwood 1000w amp, Hella air horns, IPF's, Warn, aux 55w back up lights. I still need to eventually add a CB and GPS and I dont like multiple wires running to each post on one battery...

Since I dont know of anyone with a dual setup in an 05, any sage advice from the old timers here???

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
If you're not yet ready for a second battery system, just run some 8 or 6 gauge cable to a distribution block. Fuse that line with a 40 amp circuit breaker. The dist block should have several terminals each with its own fuse of appropriate amperage. Wire all those smaller loads to the block. Run the winch directly to the battery, of course. That should help clean up your wiring nicely while providing enough power to run the loads you would conceivably run simultaneously. You probably wouldn't (and shouldn't) crank your 1kW stereo and the winch at the same time, but you might run the IPF lights and CB simultaneously while winching out of trouble.

I mounted a West Marine dist block in the rear storage area of my '06 to connect my GPS and Kenwood TM-V700. It worked out well.

UncleChris

Adventurer
05TACODOC said:
One issue that I have to address is a a slight rub on my UCA at full lock in reverse, it only happens on one side when it happens (alternates depending on direction of turn). Jason Demello says its the backspacing on my stock rims and suggested a 1 inch wheel spacer from Spidertrax as a remedy.

Thanks for the info Doc.

Are you running the stock UCAs or aftermarket?

Nice pics!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
expeditionswest said:
What are your plans for the bed? Maybe you could integrate the second battery there?

I have long range plans that mimick your 04 bed setup actually, but I'm waiting to win the lottery :rolleyes:

I could put a second battery in a toolbox back there but I'd much rather have it cleanly tucked under the hood thus saving all of my precious space back there for supplies and gear.

Decisions decisions...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hella Air Horn Pics

Here are some pics of my Hella air horn setup, 3 trumpets with the OEM horns still attached for a total of five (5) horns! :eek:

This is my last ditch anti-collision system...;)

Con permisso, Senor! :eek:rngartis

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, that's gotta be freakin loud. That's one thing I don't like about Toyota's is the lame horn.

Are hella horns isolated with some sort of switch or will they always work with the factory horn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz