Dodge 2500 bed rack build

ttengineer

Adventurer
@ttengineer The Chicago Auto Show will be opening this weekend and FCA always has a huge set up usually with Jeep and Ram “Off-road” test tracks they drive you around on. I will be going as this will be my last year up here with move coming this summer. What do you want to bet that they will have more “Moparized” Ram trucks with great looking sturdy racks on them that will be “coming out soon” from Mopar. Then 3 years later still won’t be out? These are a couple of recent racks most of which were supposed to be “going into production” when I asked the reps there.View attachment 498293View attachment 498292View attachment 498291View attachment 498290

It’s almst as bad as AEV and their promised but never forthcoming racks and the tray bed they showed forever then only made 10 of!

View attachment 498294View attachment 498295

So yeh you guys are right on going BYO

That power wagon is pretty sweet.

I really dig those fenders and cab rack.

But yes you are correct. Mopar has been teasing a rambox rack for years. I got tired of waiting for one from them or AEV, so I built my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grump E-Vet

That power wagon is pretty sweet.

I really dig those fenders and cab rack.

But yes you are correct. Mopar has been teasing a rambox rack for years. I got tired of waiting for one from them or AEV, so I built my own.

Rack’d by TT

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I would love to build my own as well. No welding experience unfortunately. I am rolling on a ‘15 2500 ctd MegaCab. Have some designs in mind; needs to accommodate Ramboxes, a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL RTT. Thinking I want it to be higher than the roofline so as to extend over it with a small rack.

Last edited:

Kingsize24

Not yet.

I can’t decide if I want to do axle goodies, a bumper and winch, or delete next.

If I do axle stuff I’m going to look real hard at elockers and RCV front axles and a free spin kit.

I’m just not a huge fan of air lockers. I don’t know a single person that has them that hasn’t had an issue with them at some point.

Not to derail the tread too much, but do you think you will use an OEM PW locker or some other aftermarket version of electric locker since you don't want an air locker?

ttengineer

Adventurer
I would love to build my own as well. No welding experience unfortunately. I am rolling on a ‘15 2500 ctd MegaCab. Have some designs in mind; needs to accommodate Ramboxes, a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL RTT. Thinking I want it to be higher than the roofline so as to extend over it with a small rack.

Mine is an XXL and fits over the 6.5 bed perfectly.

Agreed tt. I didn’t think it would, and specced the height of my rack accordingly. Measure once and cut twice.

At first I was disappointed in how it turned out and thought I should’ve gone lower. But I’ve grown to appreciate the spare tire location above the tonneau, and this summer I’m going to find a way to mount jerries there too... and I couldn’t do either well had the rack been lower.

There’s trade-offs to make with any design, unfortunately...

ttengineer

Adventurer
Not to derail the tread too much, but do you think you will use an OEM PW locker or some other aftermarket version of electric locker since you don't want an air locker?

I’m not sure if the OEM PW locker will work or not but I had planned on an Eaton or Yukon unit. Really which ever one has the least noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet.

I can’t decide if I want to do axle goodies, a bumper and winch, or delete next.

If I do axle stuff I’m going to look real hard at elockers and RCV front axles and a free spin kit.

I’m just not a huge fan of air lockers. I don’t know a single person that has them that hasn’t had an issue with them at some point.

Ive had air lockers on three rigs now and have never had a single issue. They are much more strong than the Eaton lockers that come in the Power Wagons. The jeep issue with air lockers arise with the smaller axles and splines. Whichever way you go, id DEFINATELY get your axles locked up before you do a winch or delete. Reasoning... you can always bring Maxx trax, a come-along winch, or HiLift to get yourself out. Typically, you only need to be pulled out of a stuck spot 2 feet before your tires can gain the traction needed. The delete will only give you more power... these trucks have pleanty already. I do agree with the delete, but id do it after the axles, and winch.

Grump E-Vet

I still think I would rather go with one of the full bed size racks that allows for the Ram boxes, at least that will be my plan when I trade in for the new PW later this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles