Dodge 5500 Flat deck and camper build

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am really looking forward to seeing more of your build Ram3500. i like the look of the camper that slides off the back of the flatdeck. Please keep us updated with LOTS of pics.:)

dtruzinski

Explorer
For flat bed campers, check out the Northstar American Hero. I am building a 5500 as well, but took a less aggressive approach with the tires & suspension. Your rig is awesome and I will be following your build closely. I gave up on the diesel appliances due to the conversion cost and the fact that my travels will be USA and Canada where propane is readily available.

My build thread is http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-5500-Expedition-Camper-The-build-has-started

syche

Wahooo this built is huge:Wow1:.

Can we get more pictures of the cutout and front axle re positioning?:)

well some how the recipe for big rubber and lifftle lift:chef:

Ram5500

Observer
Selling...

Well the most recent addition to the truck is 150 MaxiGrip Screw in Tire studs/ tire...and a for sale sign.

Have really neglected updating here and getting up some more pics- but I am unfortunately putting it up for sale effective today:(

Have been tossing this about for some time, sucks as I was just getting my personal dream rig done, but as the boss pointed out:

- We've only used it on the one trip in the summer, just over 4000 km's
- To properly grow my business I need to invest some more $$$ in equipment (Confined Space Training Simulator, more SCBA's, Rope Rescue Gear, etc..)
- I have my reasonably well built 2500 Dodge sitting almost unused in the driveway, along with a Grand Cherokee Diesel and my KTM- too many toys (again says the boss)

Going to put up an ad in the classifieds here and the local kijiji I think

So the upcoming Overlanding season will be roughing it a little (A LOT) more, the 2500 with the cap on the bed and sleeping bags...

I am going to console myself by "upgrading" the 2500 from the 38's to 44's- unless I come across the right steer axles to do 4 wheel steering and 54" TTC Baja Claws- have to try and keep up to the MasterPull crew off road :safari-rig:

I'll still try and get up some more build pics for you guys that wanted them

Ram5500

Observer
It does suck... has not been an easy decision since when we used it we loved it- but priorities change... Been thinking of selling the KTM as well...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Tough decision for sure... I made a similar one and sold the PW this past fall- really miss it, but as you say- for the better in the long run. If it helps, I have a spare PW ps pump setup for ram assist by PSC. I did a ram, and bought a new pump, then had mine(7k miles) sent out and ported as a spare, which sits on a shelf- pm if it is of interest. Cheers

motrhed

Observer
I was enjoying your build, bummer that we will not see it come to completion.
Is the truck still for sale or is it sold?
Did you or are you selling the Arctic Fox too?

Ram5500

Observer
I was enjoying your build, bummer that we will not see it come to completion.
Is the truck still for sale or is it sold?
Did you or are you selling the Arctic Fox too?

Good questions :)

Truck was for sale...then I changed my mind and was going to sell the other one... just put it up for sale again this week...but already re-thinking that.

The Camper is definitely for sale. Was only going to sell as a unit with truck, now will separate. Without the Camper, it is harder to justify the 5500 when I have a built 2500 as well. Considering trading for a non-slide camper like a Northern Lite, if I got a short box one I could carry with either truck...wouldn't be able to tow the size of trailer (work) along with the camper and 2500 though like the 5500 can. Smaller one would be able to go further off road- not as nice or roomy as my Arctic Fox though.

So that's where I am at-today- next week who knows?

Going through this with my KTM 950 Super Enduro as well, want to trade for a smaller dual sport (500 exc), then change my mind every time I ride the SE.

Wow, sounds bad...worse than women and shoes :ylsmoke:

Of course, what I'd really like is to keep em all and be able to add more!

Ram5500

Observer
Well, I'm in two lottery pools at work, one with 25 people and one with 16 I think...been for a few years and nada...but I am too scared to stop- don't want to be like that guy in Red Deer that quit the pool just a few months before they won!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94