Dodge Grand Caravan Roof Rack Capacity

ute1978

I bought a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan and want to mount a roof top tent. The built in factory roof rack has a maximum capacity of 150lbs. I consider two RTT
1. The Columbus Variant Small with 114lbs
2. A local RTT with a weight of 185lbs

My question is, can I mount the Columbus Variant on the factory bars? From the weight it would be ok but aren't those to weak?
If I add another cross bar, can I increase weight capacity for the 185lbs tent?

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
uc

You don't need to worry about the roof. Just get yourself a set of good quality aftermarket roof rack bars. Factory roof racks are always the weak point. I put Thule on my Jetta and it worked great! You can also go with Yakima.

For reference, that is a Tepui Ayer. It worked great but the Jetta had limited storage (Duh!) and it was tough to always be stuck with the dog on longer trips (doing groceries, museums, restaurants). That's why we went for a van sooner than expected.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
:rolleyes:

Did he just say don't worry about 185lbs (over capacity) on your roof rack rails and on top of that potential off-road situation..???

Yikes. Don't listen to the guy in a jetta...

Seek better advice and know that you are exceeding factory recommend weights

185 is allot on the roof.. plus bedding...

You can mount a fast deployable oz rv-5 on the inside of the vehicle.. have a lower center of gravity.. and fast setup time..

You would be nowhere near 185lbs and more stable...

You don't want that much weight up high

Dude... he has a Dodge Grand Caravan! A FWD minivan! He’s not going on wild offroad trails!

I suggested to buy an aftermarket roof rack bars to support the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Well the Jetta had no problem with a 95 lbs Tepui Ayer tent. I was limited to about 65-75 mph on highways mostly because of the wind noise.

But I have to admit though that a 185 lbs is a pretty heavy RTT for this scenario.

My point was mostly that the weak point is not the vehicle’s roof, it’s the cheap factory roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ute1978

My point was mostly that the weak point is not the vehicle’s roof, it’s the cheap factory roof rack.

Exactly this is my worry. The roof could theoretically support the vehicle's own weight. The rack itself might have weak connection points and my tent will be taking off on the highway....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior