Dodge Interior

Looking at a 3rd generation 2500 but the interior isn't up to the levels of the Ford trucks I'm looking at. Is there any common way of improving the Dodge interior or is it just something to live with.

Rockhard426

I had an 04 Crew Cab and a 06 Megacab and it is just something to live with. you can always put in some 4th gen seats thou

my1stcummins

Adventurer
The 4th gen interiors are in a different league compared to 3rd gen, but I'm don't follow how Fords are any better than a 3rd gen Dodge? What Fords are you speaking of? What aspects bother you in the Dodge?

I have had a few mid 2000's F250's as work trucks and I think Dodge Interior is a nicer place to spend time. I currently drive a 2013 F150 Ecoboost crew cab 4x2 at work and I find the dash and doors on the same level of functionality/niceness as the 3rd gen dodge but the seats are more comfortable for me in the Ford. The F150 CrewCab back seat is a perfect size though compared to my sometimes tight quad cab. With a baby on the way, i'm wondering if i'd rather have more back seat room, but an 8' bed is pretty awesome with two German Shepherds and it fit's a mattress with room to spare for the dogs when camping. They somehow always manage to end up in bed with us in by daybreak.

I have considered doing a 4th gen seat swap but will wait until my seats wear out. Adding a bit of softer foam under the fabric can help too, I've done this on the driver's seat. This week I added a heated seat kit http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O to my stock cloth SLT seats and am loving it right now. Functionally the 3rd gen interior is pretty good and simple is not always bad thing. Lot's of Rubbermaid-esq plastic, but it's a truck that gets dirty(i hope) and plastic cleans up well.

When my wife got her mustang in 2012 she got the base interior which was pretty pathetic. I bought a take-off set of factory leather seat covers and added a GT500 steering wheel and also a leather shiftboot, e-brake handle and boot and a new shift knob. That has transformed the feeling of that car. For me, a nice leather steering wheel and good seats make or break the user experience in a vehicle. Next week I am going to rebuild a leather steering wheel for my Dodge. I'll post some pics if you are interested. Katzkin and Leatherseats.com make seat cover replacements if leather is the ticket for you.

Last edited:
I had an 04 Crew Cab and a 06 Megacab and it is just something to live with. you can always put in some 4th gen seats thou

Yeah it really isn't as bad as I thought first glance to be honest

The 4th gen interiors are in a different league compared to 3rd gen, but I'm don't follow how Fords are any better than a 3rd gen Dodge? What Fords are you speaking of? What aspects bother you in the Dodge?

I have had a few mid 2000's F250's as work trucks and I think Dodge Interior is a nicer place to spend time. I currently drive an 2013 F150 Ecoboost crew cab 4x2 at work and I find the dash and doors on the same level of functionality/niceness as the 3rd gen dodge but the seats are more comfortable for me in the Ford. The F150 CrewCab back seat is a perfect size though compared to my sometimes tight quad cab. With a baby on the way, i'm wondering if i'd rather have more back seat room, but an 8' bed is pretty awesome with two German Shepherds and it fit's a mattress with room to spare for the dogs when camping. They somehow always manage to end up in bed with us in by daybreak.

I have considered doing a 4th gen seat swap but will wait until my seats wear out. Adding a bit of softer foam under the fabric can help too, I've done this on the driver's seat. This week I added a heated seat kit http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O to my stock cloth SLT seats and am loving it right now. Functionally the 3rd gen interior is pretty good and simple is not always bad thing. Lot's of Rubbermaid-esq plastic, but it's a truck that gets dirty(i hope) and plastic cleans up well.

When my wife got her mustang in 2012 she got the base interior which was pretty pathetic. I bought a take-off set of factory leather seat covers and added a GT500 steering wheel and also a leather shiftboot, e-brake handle and boot and a new shift knob. That has transformed the feeling of that car. For me, a nice leather steering wheel and good seats make or break the user experience in a vehicle. Next week I am going to rebuild a leather steering wheel for my Dodge. I'll post some pics if you are interested. Katzkin and Leatherseats.com make seat cover replacements if leather is the ticket for you.

Yep I've got my first baby on the way too! I want the 8ft bed as well and thankfully the wife doesn't like how mega cabs look so I'm safe with that choice. That seat heater thing will make her happier than I ever can I feel like haha

Ohhhhh good on the mustang stuff. I'm driving an 05 base model right now and it's definitely starting to show its age. Everything isn't quiiiite as tight as it used to be.

Corbeau makes some nice seats that will bolt in. Strapt sells the seats and brackets for that truck.

http://www.straptperformance.com/category-s/1971.htm

http://www.straptperformance.com/category-s/1972.htm

You had me at nice seats

Rockhard426

I forgot to tell you , I put in a Kenwood Nav Unit with Bluetooth , that alone made a world of Difference just having hands free and being able to stream Pandora or others over the stock radio. and lets not forget the 3rd gen's puny steering wheel . after I sold my 06 Mega and got a 12 3500 , you don't realize how small the 3rd gen steering wheel is compared to the 4th. You can maybe put a leather cover on it and that may help

I forgot to tell you , I put in a Kenwood Nav Unit with Bluetooth , that alone made a world of Difference just having hands free and being able to stream Pandora or others over the stock radio. and lets not forget the 3rd gen's puny steering wheel . after I sold my 06 Mega and got a 12 3500 , you don't realize how small the 3rd gen steering wheel is compared to the 4th. You can maybe put a leather cover on it and that may help

Yeah I upgrade my mustang with blue tooth nav touch screen sub sound system and all that. Really the greatest QoL change I've ever made.

mtm_motors

Observer
I've owned and driven 03-05 Dodges and found the interiors to be vastly better than 99-04 Fords. The 05-07 Super Duty was an improvement. SRT10 seats are amazing but not cheap at all.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've owned and driven 03-05 Dodges and found the interiors to be vastly better than 99-04 Fords. The 05-07 Super Duty was an improvement. SRT10 seats are amazing but not cheap at all.

I think the 99-04 Fords have the ugliest interiors since the early nineties GM trucks.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Corbeau makes some nice seats that will bolt in. Strapt sells the seats and brackets for that truck.

http://www.straptperformance.com/category-s/1971.htm

http://www.straptperformance.com/category-s/1972.htm

Nice seats once you're planted but the bolsters make for a challenge getting into them in a tall rig.
As posted a new factory foam insert with an additional piece of foam followed by carpet on the bottom works well. The seat designer's *** must have been pretty plentiful who designed these seats. The 4th gen seats are great but like all newer diesels the view under the hood isn't.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Here are some examples of the mods I made to my interior. Aftermarket Kenwood Nav with faux wood factory Nav Trim/Bezel, Heated seats (sorry no FLIR images:)), more switches, air gauges, fire extinguisher... etc. Originally my truck had a khaki center stack on the dash so the new bezel with silver and faux wood trim helped class things up a bit and create some contrast IMO.
Center Dash.jpg
Switch Panel.jpg
Fire.jpg

Happy hunting.:smiley_drive:

bdp1978

Adventurer
I had an '07 and now a '14. The 4th gen interior is leaps and bounds better than the 3rd gen....pretty much like everything else on the truck. Putting 4th Gen seats in will make a huge difference.

Or even doing a recover with clazzio seat covers etc to get some type of color variations. My '07 was the exact same grey throughout the entire interior.

Yeahhhhh I haven't even looked for SRT-10 seats. Figured they'd be ridiculous

I think the 99-04 Fords have the ugliest interiors since the early nineties GM trucks.

Agreed. The 08 however...

Nice seats once you're planted but the bolsters make for a challenge getting into them in a tall rig.
As posted a new factory foam insert with an additional piece of foam followed by carpet on the bottom works well. The seat designer's *** must have been pretty plentiful who designed these seats. The 4th gen seats are great but like all newer diesels the view under the hood isn't.

I am nowhere near plentiful. Must. Have. Cushioning.

Here are some examples of the mods I made to my interior. Aftermarket Kenwood Nav with faux wood factory Nav Trim/Bezel, Heated seats (sorry no FLIR images:)), more switches, air gauges, fire extinguisher... etc. Originally my truck had a khaki center stack on the dash so the new bezel with silver and faux wood trim helped class things up a bit and create some contrast IMO.
View attachment 316058
View attachment 316059
View attachment 316060

Happy hunting.:smiley_drive:

Wow that looks great!! May I ask what the rock switch is for?

I had an '07 and now a '14. The 4th gen interior is leaps and bounds better than the 3rd gen....pretty much like everything else on the truck. Putting 4th Gen seats in will make a huge difference.

Or even doing a recover with clazzio seat covers etc to get some type of color variations. My '07 was the exact same grey throughout the entire interior.

Yeah I saw a set of leather 4th gen on eBay for around $1,000. Is that typical ?

why3zx

Observer
I just picked up a set of black leather 13' Laramie (heated and cooled) take outs off of ebay for about a grand. After all of the research I did this was the most cost effective route to go. And they are AMAZING!!! (at least sitting on them in my garage enjoying a frosty cold beer, staring at all of the truck projects that must be completed before getting started on the interior)

lzpup

Observer
I just picked up a set of black leather 13' Laramie (heated and cooled) take outs off of ebay for about a grand. After all of the research I did this was the most cost effective route to go. And they are AMAZING!!! (at least sitting on them in my garage enjoying a frosty cold beer, staring at all of the truck projects that must be completed before getting started on the interior)

would be interested to hear how the fitment and wiring goes for these seats. Have an 06 mega cab and have thought about doing the same swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior