Does it Exist? Newer AWD Tall-Wagon Van Thing You can Sleep In

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It turned out to be a 2018 Ford Transit 150, but it was the low-roof, short wheelbase version, and I guess I had rejected the Transits because I had only seen the longer and/or taller versions. I spoke with the owner (who absolutely loved it), and he informed me of the 2020 one which now offers AWD as an option! Oh baby!
WHAAAT????? That's CRAZY, Man! An AWD Transit 1500!

Gosh, I wonder why someone didn't mention that before?

Oh, wait:

You can get a 1500 Ford Transit van with the 3.5 and AWD.
:rolleyes:

Star Stuff

^^^ Yes, but as I explained, the Transit was not in the running as I wasn't aware of the more reasonably sized low-roof/short wheel base combo at that time.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
^^^ Yes, but as I explained, the Transit was not in the running as I wasn't aware of the more reasonably sized low-roof/short wheel base combo at that time.
They're pricey, too. Also, as I understand it, the 3.5 EB that they offer is the "first generation" not the newer 2nd gen 3.5 EB that's in the F-150.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Americas Overland - The Driving Handbook
by Donald Greene
From $20
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry int...
by bert M. Pirsig
From $20.99
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99
4WD Driving Skills: A Manual for On- and Off-Road Travel
by Vic Widman
From $17.27

Star Stuff

I just came across a 2015 Ford Transit 150 low-roof, short WB with only 70,000 km on it, but it has the 3.2L 5 cyl diesel engine, and uses DEF fluid. Is anyone familiar with this particular [B20] engine? I'm surprised at how little I'm finding on Google.

XJLI

Adventurer
I just came across a 2015 Ford Transit 150 low-roof, short WB with only 70,000 km on it, but it has the 3.2L 5 cyl diesel engine, and uses DEF fluid. Is anyone familiar with this particular [B20] engine? I'm surprised at how little I'm finding on Google.
Its the last of the "Puma" motors, aka Duratorq ROW. IIRC all of the mods for the US version are emissions-only. Very good motor otherwise.

TooSteep

Observer
Star Stuff - which part of the country are you in? I bought a 2003 AWD Safari last year (looking for the same parameters as you) with ~ 154,000 km. It turns out that I am not the person to do my own buildout from scratch, so it's still sitting here ready for someone to get after it. Keep procrastinating listing it on CL. Not sure if it has the G80 locker or not.

I'm in Vancouver.

Star Stuff

O.M.G!

Googling around this afternoon for a low-roof, 130" WB Transit, I came across an ad for a 2017 which said "4X4". I thought right away that they had made a mistake, but after flipping through the photos, I noticed some "Quigley" logos, and of course not long after that, learned all about the Quigley 4X4 conversions done in PA, and the Quadvan versions done in Oregon. I can't believe that in all my searching I hadn't ever come across these. It seems to check all the boxes, and the one big advantage over the 2020 AWD from Ford, is that they are lifted 2". Oh Mama!

I actually found two 2017s for sale here in Canada, pretty much identical, one with 67,000 km, and the other with only 37,000 km, and both are passenger versions, so I would need to rip out the rear seats.

Any comments as to the strengths or weaknesses of the Quigleys?

86scotty

Explorer
Do yourself a favor and do not even consider a Transit diesel, period. Talk to some expeditors or contractors who have had them. They are trouble.
I would stay away from early Transits anyway. I had one and put 120k on it in a year or so, expediting. It was a 3.2l Ecoboost and was very reliable but not trouble free. The early ones had drive shaft issues (well documented), flex disk/guibo issues (related, also well documented) and torque converter issues. A 2015 diesel will give you all of these issues paired with DEF/DPF issues.