Dog House Heater

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Has anyone made one. I found a couple of do-it-yourself heaters that look fairly simple. Its probably not necessary, but when the temp gets into the freeze zone, I wouldn't mind a bit of extra comfort for my girl...
Also thinking of insulating the walls with cedar chips fro more comfort.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I've had pretty good luck with the heated dog beds. My dogs have always loved them. The inside of the dog house doesn't get uncomfortably warm and the dogs can move around on the bed relative to the internal heating pad to warm or cool themselves as they desire.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I have looked at those, but she has a knack for wanting to shread blankets and even thick carpet remenants that I nailed inside. She is Border Collie/ Rot mix and likes to get into "mischief"...

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I've had that problem in the past as well. Something else I've used that works well is a simple incandescent light bulb. They put out enough heat to take the chill out of a small area like a dog house. Properly shielded to prevent singed fur they work fairly well for cold nights at the lower latitudes.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
That is basically what the do-it-yourself heater is..but using a paint can with perforations in it to shield the buld from the dog. From what I have read, they consist of a gang box, porcelin light socket, and the paint can. Wire the box and socket up as normal, drill a hole 6" from the top and attache the box with the wires protected from the dog. Using l bracket or similar to attach can over the socket. Use a 40 watt bulb.
Pretty basic and much less than the commercial-built ones I see on the dog supply sites. I bet I could even use a 25 watt bulb and get enough radiant heat to take the chill off her.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
I have a K-9 Kondo for my pup. The floor is electrically heated by a radiator under the metal floor. k-9kondo dot com. Great dog house.

flywgn

Explorer
Our pup sleeps in our bedroom. It doesn't need additional heat. :sombrero:

Say, on another note. Are there any upland gamebird hunters on the ExPo Forum?

Allen R

Mamontof

Explorer
Has anyone made one. I found a couple of do-it-yourself heaters that look fairly simple. Its probably not necessary, but when the temp gets into the freeze zone, I wouldn't mind a bit of extra comfort for my girl...
Also thinking of insulating the walls with cedar chips fro more comfort.

Friend of mine install radian heat floor http://cozywinters.com/shop/rug-hea...adv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=rug-heat

For his "little fury cute" why do not feet any more in a house - even when - 20F , dog love his room( activate - press by weight when dog lay down)

ssssnake529

Explorer
We had a plastic heated bed for our dog.

Worked well. (chew proof)

Looked like this one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Heated-17-Inch-24-Inch-Medium/dp/B0006L0U8U"]Amazon.com: Allied Heated 17-Inch by 24-Inch Pet Mat, Medium: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I built one for "Duke's Place", a dog house I built for my Plott hound Duke.

*Surface mounted box wired to an extension cord.
*plug in T-stat controller
*outlet to bulb adapter
*150watt heating element
*and a heat shield. I have since replaced the shield with a wire cage. The metal heat shield was causing the heater to short-cycle.

dukesplace03.jpg

Ive also got the entire circuit on a switch that can be controlled from inside the house. But to help my sanity, I needed a way to verify that the circuit was actually on when ON. SO I put an outside light on the doghouse that turns on when the circuit is on.

Duke's Place. :coffeedrink:

dukehouse.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior